Is today the day for Lucca?

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
There is pretty much zero chance that the committee, made up of officials from member schools, will have the gonads to overrule what the NCAA has handed down. I will be SHOCKED if this goes in our favor.

I would imagine this is nothing but an exercise for them and they will abide by the NCAA's wishes.

Completely agree. Yeah, its not fair at all but its the reality of the situation.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
It doesn't matter if Lucca is our backcourt savior or not. He deserves a chance to play, plain and simple. Regardless of his potential impact on our team, what happened to him was wrong; we as Cyclone fans should support him, no matter if he is an All-American or if he rides the bench. I would consider it an extra blessing if he turns out to be even half the player we have heard about, but I don't think that will be a problem. When Lucca gets a chance to play, he will want to show everyone what he can do. We have seen what kind of character and integrity he has. Whether or not he is the lights-out shooter we want him to be, I have no doubt that he will play with hustle and heart. That's all I can ask of him.

Of course, it would be pretty sweet if he did turn out to be an All-American. :smile:
Well, I totally agree with your sentiment that Lucca got a raw deal and unfair decision from the NC2A. But I'm trying not to set unrealistic expectations on his abilities. I'm thankful he decided to stay even if the 2nd appeal doesn't go his way.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I saw him play in the Cap City league this summer and was more impressed with him than I was Brackins if that means anything. The kid is a great shooter and made some great passes. He'd be an immediate contributor if he played.

Wow - because I've been impressed with Brackins every game I've had the chance to see him play. However, there were some folks talking up Haluska & Thompson based on Cap City games and I've learned to adjust to those type of evaluations.

Kinda like Spring Football - I quit reading the message boards evaluations after the Spring game and instead read Coach's quotes in the paper.

moo-u

Apr 12, 2006
sheldon
today would be a good day to finish the fight for Lucca, IHMO

One thing I get a kick out of is that the more a school seems to try to to work with the NCAA, the more the NCAA wants to help with getting their pants off and bending you over as well. Contrast that with individuals or schools that have loaded for bear and overtly gone toe to toe.....

Example....ND Fighting Sioux....the NCAA has basically backed away and said that if North Dakota can get the Native American populations support that they can keep the name.. BTW I have no opinion on the name business either way.

Or take the ultimute weasel Tricky Ricky Neuhisel sp? I mean, the guys slimey to the Nth degree and all, but look what he did to the "establishment. Dirtbag he is, but you just wait, he'll be back in coaching before too long, and with a HUGE smile on his face.

I really think that when it comes down to it, the NCAA at it's core is a spineless bunch of bureaucrats that sees a knockdown, dragout, legal set to with any individual or university as their worst nightmare.

It's just that there are so many that are totally buffaloed by the NCAA.

The sad thing is, instead of seeing the folks -that are within their rights- go to the mat with the NCAA in the attempt to overturn things like this, you (mostly) see that the only ones that have the jewels to fight are the dirt bags that never followed the rules in the first place.

My fondest dream would be that JP et all would give the NCAA a round house to the jaw today...(figuratively speaking) and see if they bounced back.

but no, I'm not holding my breath.

moo.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Or take the ultimute weasel Tricky Ricky Neuhisel sp? I mean, the guys slimey to the Nth degree and all, but look what he did to the "establishment. Dirtbag he is, but you just wait, he'll be back in coaching before too long, and with a HUGE smile on his face

He is rumored to be in the running at UCLA. It's where he went to school. UCLA is getting beat up so badly by there cross town cheater (USC) taht they will probably sell there soul to win. a.k.a. skippy

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Wow - because I've been impressed with Brackins every game I've had the chance to see him play. However, there were some folks talking up Haluska & Thompson based on Cap City games and I've learned to adjust to those type of evaluations.

Kinda like Spring Football - I quit reading the message boards evaluations after the Spring game and instead read Coach's quotes in the paper.

I know you have to take the Cap City league for what it is. I didn't catch much of it but Haluska shot like he is now the 1 time I saw him and Thompson either had a great game or played like he is now. Brackins actually looks better now than he did in the Cap City league I think. Not much of organized coaching going on and a lot of street ball so guy were trying to pull off fancy plays or shooting 3's all the time. The 1 thing I noticed about Lucca before he even took a shot was his fundamental approach and his court vision. He made some great reads and passes.

Hopefully we aren't all wrong with our observations but I honestly believe this kid is going to be a special player by the time he graduates ISU. Just look at his build, he'd immediate help out with his size for sure.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Watched Lucca play at the Cap City league - he can shoot and I like his work ethic on the court. Not sure what I think about him defensively as that kinda becomes a lost art in those games. Haluska shot well there too, so who knows.

I do think Lucca immediately helps us.

If he does play this year, I hope his first action will be at Hilton. Call me selfish, but I would not oppose him missing a road game or two in order to get him on the court at Hilton first.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I got absolutely gouged for saying this at the time but I not impressed with Haluska and Thompson but I was very impressed with Staiger.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I hope that we get him for at least a few games. It might go a long way toward next year. If we can get him for the conference season, then, well, maybe we could do something this year :).

Whether he is great or not, it would be nice to see this injustice "righted."

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Re: today would be a good day to finish the fight for Lucca, IHMO

One thing I get a kick out of is that the more a school seems to try to to work with the NCAA, the more the NCAA wants to help with getting their pants off and bending you over as well. Contrast that with individuals or schools that have loaded for bear and overtly gone toe to toe.....

Example....ND Fighting Sioux....the NCAA has basically backed away and said that if North Dakota can get the Native American populations support that they can keep the name.. BTW I have no opinion on the name business either way.

Or take the ultimute weasel Tricky Ricky Neuhisel sp? I mean, the guys slimey to the Nth degree and all, but look what he did to the "establishment. Dirtbag he is, but you just wait, he'll be back in coaching before too long, and with a HUGE smile on his face.

I really think that when it comes down to it, the NCAA at it's core is a spineless bunch of bureaucrats that sees a knockdown, dragout, legal set to with any individual or university as their worst nightmare.

It's just that there are so many that are totally buffaloed by the NCAA.

The sad thing is, instead of seeing the folks -that are within their rights- go to the mat with the NCAA in the attempt to overturn things like this, you (mostly) see that the only ones that have the jewels to fight are the dirt bags that never followed the rules in the first place.

My fondest dream would be that JP et all would give the NCAA a round house to the jaw today...(figuratively speaking) and see if they bounced back.

but no, I'm not holding my breath.

moo.

Don't forget about how bad the NCAA screwed Jeremy Bloom for skiing in the Olympics. :no:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Lucca will play the NEXT game after(if) he's reinstated. If it's on Mars he'll be playing. You don't sit that kid out for any more than he already has.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Don't forget about how bad the NCAA screwed Jeremy Bloom for skiing in the Olympics. :no:

He wasn't suspended for skiing, he was suspended for taking endorsement money which is a direct violation. I am sympathetic to Bloom, but he should have checked with his compliance office or Alvin Bowen on that one.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

He wasn't suspended for skiing, he was suspended for taking endorsement money which is a direct violation. I am sympathetic to Bloom, but he should have checked with his compliance office or Alvin Bowen on that one.

I guess that's the thing that kind of gets me as I heard that when Tim Dwight was in the NFL (and making money off of all the endorsements he was undoubtedly making) he was still able to go back to Iowa in the offseason and run track for them. How are those two scenarios any different?

CTAClone

Addict
Mar 28, 2006
Amerika
When we get an answer will someone put a BIG BOLD HEADING ON THE THREAD or sticky it, or something...please. I'm tired of reading all the Lucca threads hoping for an answer, even though I started one a few weeks ago.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
Tons of football players play baseball for minor league teams while still maintaining their amateur status to play football. I doubt these guys are playing baseball for free. So you can take money to play a different sport, just don't take money for endorsements or we'll nail you to the wall. Yeah, makes sense :confused:

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I hate the fact that people go pro in other sports but still compete in others at the college level. In my eyes, you are either a professional athlete, or you are not. The sport should not matter.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The thing I don't understand is the minor league baseball vs endorsements. Where do you think the money comes from to pay those minor league players? The only difference is that the baseball players have a middle man between them and NIKE (insert snide Oregon comment here).

Help Support Us

Become a patron