Is today the day for Lucca?

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Coach McD indicated that ISU and Lucca go before the NCAA very soon. Does anyone have more info?

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I thought it was today yes. At least this will be over with one way or the other. My guess is no.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well, they're having the conference call with McD, Pollard, and his German Coach Junge today. Who knows if we'll get an answer right away or not.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
I think the 18th is the magical date. I hope that this review panel can allow some justice to come through, the NCAA is already getting a nice black eye. Over turning this ruling can make it go away a little.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
MY gut feeling is that we won't see him in action until next year. At least it will force other guards to step up.....but man imagine if we got Lucca to come back with a healing Wesley and people starting to pick it up!

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
I think the 18th is the magical date. I hope that this review panel can allow some justice to come through, the NCAA is already getting a nice black eye. Over turning this ruling can make it go away a little.

The NCAA does not give a rats *** about Iowa State, they have made that perfectly clear in the past. Why does anyone think this will end any differntly? We all know they are wrong, but that has not stopped them in the past.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Agreed Brian. I am definitely not getting my hopes up on this one. Iowa State = no financial gain for the NCAA...therefore screw ISU.

Cutlass

Mar 23, 2006
Omaha
ramblingscotty.blogspot.com
The NCAA does not give a rats *** about Iowa State, they have made that perfectly clear in the past. Why does anyone think this will end any differntly? We all know they are wrong, but that has not stopped them in the past.

My only hope is, that the committee that will be deciding Lucca's appeal today isn't the NCAA, but officials from various NCAA schools. Perhaps they are less uptight arses.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
There is pretty much zero chance that the committee, made up of officials from member schools, will have the gonads to overrule what the NCAA has handed down. I will be SHOCKED if this goes in our favor.

I would imagine this is nothing but an exercise for them and they will abide by the NCAA's wishes.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
My guess is that the appeal committee won't overturn the decision. I believe they will be sympathetic, but they won't want to set a precedent that is directly opposed to the current NCAA amateurism rules.

This years cases will likely create pressure for an NCAA rule change, but it will be too late to help Lucca.

Last edited:

necromancy

Sep 11, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
My only hope is, that the committee that will be deciding Lucca's appeal today isn't the NCAA, but officials from various NCAA schools. Perhaps they are less uptight arses.
I think this is an important point. The NCAA bureaucrats are required to go by the book, which if interpreted strictly, required them to levy a penalty on Lucca. However, the appeal committee is comprised of representatives from member schools. They have the power to look beyond a literal interpretation of the rules and consider the intent of the rules as well as the special circumstances of those affected. Any reasonable human being would have to agree that Lucca is getting a raw deal, and I'm assuming that the committee is comprised of reasonable human beings. I bet he gets to play half the remaining games.

jose

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Cutlass is correct this isn't the "NCAA" making the call on this one, its a group of "peers" so it's not going to be because the NCAA doesn't give a rats *** about Iowa State oh and there probably won't be some bogus fire today delaying the process two weeks. That being said I still don't like our chances all that well.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Coach said in his post game interview that this will be a big relief regardless for Lucca because he finally gets to defend himself and get his say in this today. He also said Lucca is very happy here and a big part of that is the fan support for him and making him feel welcome. Mentioned the "Free Lucca" chants puts a big smile on his face and a little blushing as well but just shows how much our fans are behind him.

I'd be shocked if this gets over-turned too but will be a big emotional lift if he gets to play again this season too.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Folks; I'm not trying to be DebbieDowner, but help me understand and help me set my expectations correctly so I am not disappointed when I see Lucca play.
Why does everybody feel he is our best guard and the answer to our ailing back-court play and ready to immediately contribute to B12 play?
+ Did you see him in Cap City league?
+ Based on Mac's comments?
+ Based on stats from a German semi-pro league?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Folks; I'm not trying to be DebbieDowner, but help me understand and help me set my expectations correctly so I am not disappointed when I see Lucca play.
Why does everybody feel he is our best guard and the answer to our ailing back-court play and ready to immediately contribute to B12 play?

I think when Jeremy (site owner) did his "coach for a day" think a couple of weeks ago he got to sit in on practice that day and said that Lucca was the best pure shooter and best ball handler on the team. Basically, he said he's everything we've been led to believe.

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL

It doesn't matter if Lucca is our backcourt savior or not. He deserves a chance to play, plain and simple. Regardless of his potential impact on our team, what happened to him was wrong; we as Cyclone fans should support him, no matter if he is an All-American or if he rides the bench. I would consider it an extra blessing if he turns out to be even half the player we have heard about, but I don't think that will be a problem. When Lucca gets a chance to play, he will want to show everyone what he can do. We have seen what kind of character and integrity he has. Whether or not he is the lights-out shooter we want him to be, I have no doubt that he will play with hustle and heart. That's all I can ask of him.

Of course, it would be pretty sweet if he did turn out to be an All-American. :smile:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I saw him play in the Cap City league this summer and was more impressed with him than I was Brackins if that means anything. The kid is a great shooter and made some great passes. He'd be an immediate contributor if he played.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
If we can track flights and have insiders on the board, why is someone not finding a way to tap into live audio of this teleconference??

Somebody make it happen. Heck, the owner of the board coached the Clones, for pete's sake.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think if Lucca was reinstated he would immmediately see about 20 minutes per night and SH would probably see about 5.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron