Is ISU looking at any guys in the Portal?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
The flip side to that is when you bring 3 so often - even on "obvious passing downs" - they get pretty comfortable double teaming. That can make the blitz that much more effective when it does come. I guess I'm kind of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy. I'm sure Heacock will tweak the defense both to fit personnel and to show offenses a new wrinkle like he does every year, but I don't think there will be substantial changes.

I agree :sigh: that there is unlikely to be changes.

Disagree with that statement as the entire premise of the blitz is to bring pressure. That is created my mismatches, either in numbers or in personnel. For the most part the teams who would be "confused" by a blitz are the very same teams you likely wouldn't blitz against (an inferior team or coached team). There were several games, take the Oklahoma State game for example, where we got VERY little pressure the entire game. To ensure my memory wasn't off I looked it up: ZERO sacks and ZERO QB hits. If you look at several other games you will see a trend: very low sack and QB hit totals against elite opponents.

The days are gone where we are more concerned with competing than gunning for the top. The most consis
This is wrong and doesn't understand the advantages only having three on the line gives us. First our defense was constantly coming forward. A LB could blitz from a variety of spots making it difficult to double our ends. Our Safeties filled for blitzing LBs. Our DEs rarely had contain allowing them to be multi dimensional on their rush.

I guess my question to you is if it's so poorly schemed why did it work so well?

It DIDN'T work that well against the upper echelon teams. Oklahoma State had all day to throw the ball and eventually Sanders found guys in the zone. Same with OU though they did us some major favors, in both games, by going ultra conservative in the 2nd half(ves). Our defense is fine against the mid to lower echelon teams, which last year represented roughly 60% of our games. In the rest, we had some MAJOR issues with losing the line of scrimmage and in particular getting pressure against the OUs, OSUs, and Texas's of the world.

In order to take that next step we have got to be more consistent in winning those battles. If we aren't, we need to be a little more aggressive in finding ways to bring pressure. In the games in which we struggled we didn't do it nearly enough, especially early, and it put us in a pretty big hole in 3 of those 4 games. That's not coincidental.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree :sigh: that there is unlikely to be changes.

Disagree with that statement as the entire premise of the blitz is to bring pressure. That is created my mismatches, either in numbers or in personnel. For the most part the teams who would be "confused" by a blitz are the very same teams you likely wouldn't blitz against (an inferior team or coached team). There were several games, take the Oklahoma State game for example, where we got VERY little pressure the entire game. To ensure my memory wasn't off I looked it up: ZERO sacks and ZERO QB hits. If you look at several other games you will see a trend: very low sack and QB hit totals against elite opponents.

The days are gone where we are more concerned with competing than gunning for the top. The most consis

It DIDN'T work that well against the upper echelon teams. Oklahoma State had all day to throw the ball and eventually Sanders found guys in the zone. Same with OU though they did us some major favors, in both games, by going ultra conservative in the 2nd half(ves). Our defense is fine against the mid to lower echelon teams, which last year represented roughly 60% of our games. In the rest, we had some MAJOR issues with losing the line of scrimmage and in particular getting pressure against the OUs, OSUs, and Texas's of the world.

In order to take that next step we have got to be more consistent in winning those battles. If we aren't, we need to be a little more aggressive in finding ways to bring pressure. In the games in which we struggled we didn't do it nearly enough, especially early, and it put us in a pretty big hole in 3 of those 4 games. That's not coincidental.

Sanders threw for 235 yards. Our defense held the Pokes to 6 points under their season average while causing 2 turnovers. This loss has nothing to do with the defense.

In the CCG we held the Sooners 16 points under their season average. That's how this defense should be judged.

It's amazing as Cyclone fans I'd need to defend our defense to you. Fact is most of the teams we play are more athletic than us and we still have as good of a defense as anyone in the conference.

Last edited:

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Sanders threw for 235 yards. Our defense held the Pokes to 6 points under their season average while causing 2 turnovers. This loss has nothing to do with the defense.

In the CCG we held the Sooners 16 points under their season average. That's how this defense should be judged.

It's amazing as Cyclone fans I'd need to defend our defense to you. Fact is most of the teams we play are more athletic than us and we still have as good of a defense as anyone in the conference.

Go back and watch the game. Sanders had all day to throw the ball and we were fortunate not to give up more yards. It puts undo strain on the back 7-8 and is NOT something any defense, let alone a zone, can consistently defend against.

We are overly reliant on red zone stops; against the lesser teams it's an okay strategy. But constantly hoping to limit the offense to field goals is a very dangerous strategy against the upper echelon teams. You seem to be comparing game outcomes to others over the course of the season. For this discussion's purposes they are largely irrelevant as we/I am specifically talking about those teams and our performance in THOSE games. In every single one of those games, are weak link was at the line of scrimmage. If we are trying to win (all) of those games, that cannot continue. Rattler (with a year under his belt) will have a field day with that kind of time. It's not going to work.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Go back and watch the game. Sanders had all day to throw the ball and we were fortunate not to give up more yards. It puts undo strain on the back 7-8 and is NOT something any defense, let alone a zone, can consistently defend against.

We are overly reliant on red zone stops; against the lesser teams it's an okay strategy. But constantly hoping to limit the offense to field goals is a very dangerous strategy against the upper echelon teams. You seem to be comparing game outcomes to others over the course of the season. For this discussion's purposes they are largely irrelevant as we/I am specifically talking about those teams and our performance in THOSE games. In every single one of those games, are weak link was at the line of scrimmage. If we are trying to win (all) of those games, that cannot continue. Rattler (with a year under his belt) will have a field day with that kind of time. It's not going to work.
Just curious. What part of “this loss had nothing to do with the defense” did you have a hard time grasping?

As far as your latter paragraph? Sure, Rattler will improve. And so will the guys on our defense. OU was already constantly holding McDonald to keep him out of the backfield.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

We aren't as athletic as the teams you are referring to. Our defense constantly holding teams under their season average is a huge reason we are as successful as we are. Your plan puts our back end one on one with superior athletes. I've seen that version, I'd prefer we stick with what works.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
Hmmmmm. Trust Jon Heacock who has other P5 and NFL DCs studying and copying his defense or some random internet guy?

Tough call.
But the random internet guy can magically add a player anywhere they like without weakening the defense in other areas.

Reactions: Hayes30

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011

Don't think it's particularly fair to call the Dline the weak link. I'd say it is a strategic decision that produced results the coaches felt comfortable with.

When you're only sending 3, you're not going to generate much qb pressure.

Heacock/Campbell obviously felt good with that strategy against two young qbs who had shown tendencies to be rattled/erratic decision making yet also have the ability to beat you with their legs if additional pressure doesn't get home.

Worth noting the strategy nearly worked out.

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
We aren't as athletic as the teams you are referring to. Our defense constantly holding teams under their season average is a huge reason we are as successful as we are. Your plan puts our back end one on one with superior athletes. I've seen that version, I'd prefer we stick with what works.

I call BS on the "we aren't as athletic" nonsense I hear all the time. It drives me nuts when I hear TV announcers say that, but even moreso when Iowa State fans say it. I guess if you repeat something often enough like the announcers do, the fans will even begin to believe it. We are just as athletic as any other team in the Big 12. Hell, we went 8-1 in the Big 12 this year. How do you do that with unathletic guys?

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I call BS on the "we aren't as athletic" nonsense I hear all the time. It drives me nuts when I hear TV announcers say that, but even moreso when Iowa State fans say it. I guess if you repeat something often enough like the announcers do, the fans will even begin to believe it. We are just as athletic as any other team in the Big 12. Hell, we went 8-1 in the Big 12 this year. How do you do that with unathletic guys?
Well the NFL draft says you're full of ****.

Seriously what alternate universe do you think we're as athletic as Oklahoma and Oklahoma St?

Last edited:

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
number of Tennessee players entering portal now that Pruitt is fired. Don't know id we can afford them. ;)

Reactions: Peter

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
If our freshman safeties get spring practices under their belts, we will be just fine
They will be bigger, faster from the off season workouts
Have seen live game action already, so the game should slow down for them

I look for them to do the same as Young
out of position a bit in first couple games but make big strides as the year goes on

They were highly thought of as recruits
Chambers and McDonald are both 6'3 and will both be well over 200 Pounds. They will be both very solid.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Hmmmmm. Trust Jon Heacock who has other P5 and NFL DCs studying and copying his defense or some random internet guy?

Tough call.

I was thinking the same thing, we are coming off of our best season ever and some dude on the internet is explaining how our DC needs to be better, I'm guessing they are from the same brain trust that wanted to bench Purdy.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I was thinking the same thing, we are coming off of our best season ever and some dude on the internet is explaining how our DC needs to be better, I'm guessing they are from the same brain trust that wanted to bench Purdy.

I’m more of a basketball guy, but it strikes me as the type of thinking that said Georges couldn’t play center because bigger guys would dominate him in the post. Yes, QBs may have more time against a 3 man front... but no one is open.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: BigCyFan and 83cy

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
As far as your latter paragraph? Sure, Rattler will improve. And so will the guys on our defense. OU was already constantly holding McDonald to keep him out of the backfield.

I don't know of anyone that has been held more obviously and consistently than McDonald. He is constantly in a headlock as he comes around the edge. In the bowl game the only time they called it was when the OL dragged him to the ground. Even on his sack at the end of the game he was being held. If they can somehow get 25 pounds on him he could be an every down guy. Teams would be tempted to run right at him, but with his quickness he might be able to hold his own.

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes and Aclone

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Maybe not as talented is a better way to phrase it? Sure the gap is starting to close, but it’s still pretty wide.

How many 1st round picks are we putting out? Or 2nd and 3rd for that matter? Or just getting players drafted in general? How many 5* recruits are on the team? 4*?

Obviously we had a great team this year, but that’s where the whole 5* culture comes in to play.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan