Iowa wrestling meet

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Does your cable company charge you? Cable is absolutely a paywall just of a different sort. Your cable company didn't just include Cyclones.TV out of the good of their heart.

Do I wish the meet was on BTN or even better IPTV? Absolutely - but why would BTN show a meet that has no conference significance and no national significance over a basketball game that will have better rating. Maybe if/when ISU cracks the top 5 they will decide to preempt basketball for non-conference wrestling.

So all TV is a paywall since you have to go buy a TV? You are one dense person, or expect many things to be completely free. How many people don't have some subscription to TV of some sort? Sling, Hulu and others charge. A TV antennae costs money, is that a paywall also?

My cable company did not raise the rate when they added cyclonestv to their lineup. What is your main point?

• Winner
Reactions: cyfan21

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
Hey, I’m not the one complaining about paying for the meet. I already have a Flo subscription (plus I’ll be there in person). Pollard expects it to be free not me.

Also, yes, cable/streaming services by definition are a paywall since you need a subscription.

• Disagree
Reactions: cynile and cyfan21

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Hey, I’m not the one complaining about paying for the meet. I already have a Flo subscription (plus I’ll be there in person). Pollard expects it to be free not me.

Also, yes, cable/streaming services by definition are a paywall since you need a subscription.

You're the only one in this forum b'ing about it, or just b'ing about JP. Whichever angle you want to take. You seem to have your panties in a wad about JP. Living rent free in that head of yours, huh?

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
It definitely isn't a recent sample but I don't think it's irrelevant as it was also after Wilson's junior year (and again, my pick is Coleman). It can show styles and how one responds when the other guy gets his hands on him. It's definitely more relevant than most of the data points message boards use to predict matches and since Wrestlestat shows no common opponents at the D1 level yet I thought it was worth sharing.

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017
You're the only one in this forum b'ing about it, or just b'ing about JP. Whichever angle you want to take. You seem to have your panties in a wad about JP. Living rent free in that head of yours, huh?

You have a pretty low threshold for "b'ing". I simply commented on another poster's post (which is how message boards were designed to work).

Lighten up, Francis.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Well, Brands just announced Kemerer is out for the year, so we should be favored in at least one match on Saturday :) It does suck for Kemerer though, he seems like a decent person and was always fun to watch compete.

Guess I'm out of the loop on that. What does he have going on? Did he wrestle as a true freshman so he still has his redshirt?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Guess I'm out of the loop on that. What does he have going on? Did he wrestle as a true freshman so he still has his redshirt?

Kemerer has redshirted (I believe), but he's having season ending surgery so I am guessing he will end up getting a medical redshirt.

wrestlingphish

Aug 10, 2017

Rumor going around IC for the last few weeks is torn ACL. Hoping he qualifies for the Ashnault Rule and gets an extra year.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Kemerer has redshirted (I believe), but he's having season ending surgery so I am guessing he will end up getting a medical redshirt.

Technically you're supposed to have to have an injury cause you to lose most of 2 seasons if you're applying for a 6th year (as opposed to getting a 5th year when you didn't take a normal redshirt) but the NCAA seems to be getting increasingly lenient on that so I bet he gets a 6th year if he wants it. Not everybody wants it though - Gadson would have been a slam dunk for a 6th year if he'd applied for one.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Are there any bars that will be streaming the dual in Ames, Altoona or Ankeny?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Technically you're supposed to have to have an injury cause you to lose most of 2 seasons if you're applying for a 6th year (as opposed to getting a 5th year when you didn't take a normal redshirt) but the NCAA seems to be getting increasingly lenient on that so I bet he gets a 6th year if he wants it. Not everybody wants it though - Gadson would have been a slam dunk for a 6th year if he'd applied for one.

NCAA doesn't look at anything until after the last season IIRC. So you never fully know until after that potential last year. 6th year seems easier in wrestling than other sports as of late. LIke you said, does the wrestler want that? It is a grind to be a student athlete, let alone to shed weight and hold that at the same time. I wasn't a wrestler, but after the 4 1/2 years I did go; there wasn't anything bringing me back to college. I was burnt out.

Originally this is one of the major reasons the redshirt was created for. Incase an injury happened, you had a fifth year to attend school and take care of things. The majority of RS now are just for adjustment and to improve the athlete before competing. This is why the NCAA says they need to miss time over two seasons. First they figure they can RS, then the second would cut into their participation even if RS was used for medical.

Was it a Gallick that was a fight for us who did lose part of two seasons for injury, but Cael had left and he hadn't logged stuff well enought and that hurt him?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
DtCbIc-UUAAHdTC.jpg:large

Couple interesting or in our potential lineup. Carr at 157, Shapiro at 184 and Duggan at 285.
I would be surprised if any of them wrestle, but interesting none the less.
Also Dresser mentioned that the whole team is traveling to Iowa City for the dual

Reactions: stuclone

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
DtCbIc-UUAAHdTC.jpg:large

Couple interesting or in our potential lineup. Carr at 157, Shapiro at 184 and Duggan at 285.
I would be surprised if any of them wrestle, but interesting none the less.
Also Dresser mentioned that the whole team is traveling to Iowa City for the dual
I assume our True Freshman are listed only for Smoke and Mirrors...

Wish I could watch this one and/or follow. Unfortunately, I will have to wait until Saturday night to check results. Hopefully we wrestle well!