Iowa Tap Room - Opening Feb/March 2016 - downtown Des Moines

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Raccoon River went under as well, and while they weren't making infected beer, it was pretty damn boring beer. I think there was one in Ankeny that sucked and bit the dust as well.
This makes me wonder about Reclaimed Rails in Bondurant, then. The old brew master from Raccoon River was hired to brew at Reclaimed Rails. I've been there once and I didn't think it was bad, but I'm not a true craft brew nut like some of you guys are.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Is it just me, or are we in a avalanche of brew pubs in and around Iowa. I thought it was more fun when there was just a few and you had to seek them out. And it was pretty good beer. Now it seems like people are just brewing beer and making a quick buck. I don't think we can sustain all the growth. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a new one popping up.
More people every day seem to want to know where their food is coming from and I don't see any reason that won't continue. Look at farmers markets, restaurants, food trucks, etc. A lot of people are wanting local.

ILiftWithRoyce

Feb 6, 2012
Ankeny
Is it just me, or are we in a avalanche of brew pubs in and around Iowa. I thought it was more fun when there was just a few and you had to seek them out. And it was pretty good beer. Now it seems like people are just brewing beer and making a quick buck. I don't think we can sustain all the growth. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a new one popping up.

It will turn out to be good for the industry I think. I dont think we are close to saturation yet, and it forces competing local breweries to keep being innovative and brewing high quality. We've seen already that breweries that cant keep up will die out

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Theoretically, more breweries will result in better beer. As in people will tend to go to the place with the better product.

Which is why Raccoon River is gone. (RIP). I loved me some Raccoon River back in the day, but their product wasn't as good as the other ones in town.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Which is why Raccoon River is gone. (RIP). I loved me some Raccoon River back in the day, but their product wasn't as good as the other ones in town.

The building Raccoon rented is being converted into condos. It was an interesting setup that they had, I think the kitchen was actually in another building so it may have been 2 leases.
I think that the constraints of the business led to it's closing more so than the product.

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
Iowa Brewer's Guild shared this pic of the Tap Room on Facebook last week..

12711158_10153871927408006_2002492079637448701_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/IowaBrewersGuild/

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Holy crap this place is going to be amazing. Really looking forward to trying out new Iowa beers that I've never had before. Should really close the distribution gap!

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Pulpit Rock's Saftig might be the best beer being made in Iowa on a regular basis right now.
What's it like? I was up there for Mornin' Delight and tried to get their session but they gave me Pulpit ale by accident. I still enjoyed it. I'm going to try to make it up over spring break and spend a day or so around Decorah and just drink myself silly, maybe wander over to campus and mingle. I don't know, the plan isn't set yet.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
What's it like? I was up there for Mornin' Delight and tried to get their session but they gave me Pulpit ale by accident. I still enjoyed it. I'm going to try to make it up over spring break and spend a day or so around Decorah and just drink myself silly, maybe wander over to campus and mingle. I don't know, the plan isn't set yet.

It's an east coast IPA. Juicy as hell. Citra, mosaic, and Simcoe. As good as Sue, King, and Pompeii are recently, this may be better.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 32470646-B5AD-4640-8FCB-10F5BF967312_zpsqb0lgl4p.jpg
    32470646-B5AD-4640-8FCB-10F5BF967312_zpsqb0lgl4p.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 274

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron