Iowa Tap Room - Opening Feb/March 2016 - downtown Des Moines

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Did they change the number of taps? I was always told 99 (for the number of counties in Iowa). It really won't be that hard to put 99 Iowa beers on tap. The problem is there are not 99 good Iowa beers. Heck, there aren't 10 good Iowa beers for a normal rotation. It'll be interesting to see what they do. The Old Fashioned is pretty successful in Madison, so there's no reason why this won't work...well, there are a lot of reasons why it won't work, but I wont get into that.

That would be cool.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
The Old Fashioned is pretty successful in Madison, so there's no reason why this won't work...well, there are a lot of reasons why it won't work, but I wont get into that.

Based on what Full Court Press has done in the past, I expect this will be a huge hit.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
^ yeah...these guys aren't exactly rookies. Just about everything they've touched turned into gold.
Not everything. Fongs in Ankeny isn't the hit they were hoping for yet. The new management at Mullets is a joke, also. They absolutely know what they're doing when it comes to businesses downtown, but they also have a touch of an ego. el Bait is great for hundreds of beers, you don't need that at every single one of your bars. Hundreds of beers is what makes el Bait special. Once every other bar downtown has all of those beers, it loses its luster.

My problem with The Iowa Tap House is the Iowa beer. While there may be enough breweries and beers to fill the handles, most of the beer made by breweries in Iowa is garbage. Yes, we have some amazing breweries here in our state, but the majority of them are not putting out a quality product. So when you've got a wall of 99+ Iowa beers, the problem becomes moving the product and keeping the product fresh. Fresh meaning not spoiled, and new and exciting. Not many breweries have expansive rotating lineups in Iowa.

Like I said, I hope they do well, but I think the task at hand is a mighty one.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
El Bait Shop-One of the best selections in the midwest. I've been to a lot of the great bars in the midwest and the selection is the best I've seen.Always busy

Fongs DM-Good beer selection and excellent pizza. Always busy

Buzzard Billys-Always seems to be busy. Good selection of beer. More for the Wells Fargo crowd.

High Life-Cool concept and always busy. Good bar food.

Hessen Haus-Excellent selection of German Beer. Not sure how busy it is normally.

Mullets-Not a big fan so I don't know busy they are.

Royal Mile-Excellent selection and always busy

Red Monk-A true hidden gem that we don't appreciate enough.

Library-OK selection of beer. Excellent Nachos. Always busy but that has to do with it's size.

Fongs Ankeny-Every time(5 or so) I've been there it's been busy.

I'd say that's a pretty good track record. IMO the best 5 bars in Des Moines are run by these guys.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
El Bait Shop-One of the best selections in the midwest. I've been to a lot of the great bars in the midwest and the selection is the best I've seen.Always busy

Fongs DM-Good beer selection and excellent pizza. Always busy

Buzzard Billys-Always seems to be busy. Good selection of beer. More for the Wells Fargo crowd.

High Life-Cool concept and always busy. Good bar food.

Hessen Haus-Excellent selection of German Beer. Not sure how busy it is normally.

Mullets-Not a big fan so I don't know busy they are.

Royal Mile-Excellent selection and always busy

Red Monk-A true hidden gem that we don't appreciate enough.

Library-OK selection of beer. Excellent Nachos. Always busy but that has to do with it's size.

Fongs Ankeny-Every time(5 or so) I've been there it's been busy.

I'd say that's a pretty good track record. IMO the best 5 bars in Des Moines are run by these guys.
You must always go on the weekends :wink:

I'm not trying to poo poo them. Shoot, I worked for them for 2 years and loved every second of it. I just think 120 all Iowa beers is a bit ambitious.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Did they change the number of taps? I was always told 99 (for the number of counties in Iowa). It really won't be that hard to put 99 Iowa beers on tap. The problem is there are not 99 good Iowa beers. Heck, there aren't 10 good Iowa beers for a normal rotation. It'll be interesting to see what they do. The Old Fashioned is pretty successful in Madison, so there's no reason why this won't work...well, there are a lot of reasons why it won't work, but I wont get into that.

Can't find 10 good beers? Bull ****.

10 world class beers? I'd agree with you. There are easily 10 good Iowa beers.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
You must always go on the weekends :wink:

I'm not trying to poo poo them. Shoot, I worked for them for 2 years and loved every second of it. I just think 120 all Iowa beers is a bit ambitious.
I love EBS, but everytime I go they are oUT of 20 or so beers. It's hard to keep them full all the time I understand, especially since they probably only use the 5 gal kegs. I assume they will have the same problem at the ITR.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I love EBS, but everytime I go they are oUT of 20 or so beers. It's hard to keep them full all the time I understand, especially since they probably only use the 5 gal kegs. I assume they will have the same problem at the ITR.
Out of 20 of 185 beers? That's a little more than 10%. On any given week when I would work there, we could go through between 30-60 1/6th barrel kegs (5.2 gallons). I understand how this could frustrate some people, but seriously, there are still 165 beers to choose from. Of course this is also different for events. Sometimes we would have events and would have to clear out the wall to make room for those lines, or if there was a launch of a new brewery and there would need to be 15 lines open, we would have to leave those off.

Bottom line is this, with such high keg turnover, you are almost guaranteed your beer is fresh (the lines are meticulously cleaned as well), so your beer is in best shape it can possibly be. There aren't many bars around town who can say that. We would hear horror stories from distributors about other well known bars who rarely clean their lines or don't properly maintain them. It's pretty freaking gross.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Out of 20 of 185 beers? That's a little more than 10%. On any given week when I would work there, we could go through between 30-60 1/6th barrel kegs (5.2 gallons). I understand how this could frustrate some people, but seriously, there are still 165 beers to choose from. Of course this is also different for events. Sometimes we would have events and would have to clear out the wall to make room for those lines, or if there was a launch of a new brewery and there would need to be 15 lines open, we would have to leave those off.

Bottom line is this, with such high keg turnover, you are almost guaranteed your beer is fresh (the lines are meticulously cleaned as well), so your beer is in best shape it can possibly be. There aren't many bars around town who can say that. We would hear horror stories from distributors about other well known bars who rarely clean their lines or don't properly maintain them. It's pretty freaking gross.

I've heard Olde Main doesn't clean their lines which might explain the rip roaring headache drinking 2 of their beers gives me.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I've heard Olde Main doesn't clean their lines which might explain the rip roaring headache drinking 2 of their beers gives me.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. You can tell pretty obviously when they've cleaned their lines. The beer is actually decent when they give a ****. Line cleanliness is probably second only to freshness of the actual beer in terms of what you taste, IMO. I personally love the fact that the turnover at EBS is so high. As Cybyassociation points out, you're always getting fresh beer on a clean line due to that. Plus, one of my favorite things there is just picking the bartenders' brains about what's new and good.

On the topic of the thread, here are 10 good (at a minimum) Iowa beers that they could probably keep a keg of at all times:

TG Psuedo Sue
Confluence IPA
515 Mediocre/Passe
Alluvial Oxpresso
Lion Bridge Worker's Compensation
Big Grove Arms Race
West O Coco Stout
Peace Tree No Coast
Pulpit Rock Pour Over
Singlespeed Blanco

That's without repeating a brewery

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Last edited:

Blackhawk6515

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 21, 2008
There are 67 breweries either already pumping out beer or are in the planning/building stages. Plenty of places that the Iowa Tap Room could draw product from. Hell, you could easily cover half the taps in breweries from just around the metro if you got their whole line of beers.

http://www.iowacraftbeertent.com/breweries.php

Is it just me, or are we in a avalanche of brew pubs in and around Iowa. I thought it was more fun when there was just a few and you had to seek them out. And it was pretty good beer. Now it seems like people are just brewing beer and making a quick buck. I don't think we can sustain all the growth. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a new one popping up.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Is it just me, or are we in a avalanche of brew pubs in and around Iowa. I thought it was more fun when there was just a few and you had to seek them out. And it was pretty good beer. Now it seems like people are just brewing beer and making a quick buck. I don't think we can sustain all the growth. You can't swing a dead cat and not hit a new one popping up.

It's got nothing on Minnesota right now. Their proliferation is ridiculous, and there are a greater number there that are just terrible. Most of the ones in Iowa, so far, put out beer that's at least better than BMC and not infected (although there are a few notable exceptions). Some of the bad breweries have already come and gone. Hub City, went under a long time ago, but oddly enough (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that's where Mike Saboe (TG) and Bob Slack (Pulpit Rock) learned to brew commercially. Raccoon River went under as well, and while they weren't making infected beer, it was pretty damn boring beer. I think there was one in Ankeny that sucked and bit the dust as well.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
That wouldn't surprise me at all. You can tell pretty obviously when they've cleaned their lines. The beer is actually decent when they give a ****. Line cleanliness is probably second only to freshness of the actual beer in terms of what you taste, IMO. I personally love the fact that the turnover at EBS is so high. As Cybyassociation points out, you're always getting fresh beer on a clean line due to that. Plus, one of my favorite things there is just picking the bartenders' brains about what's new and good.

On the topic of the thread, here are 10 good (at a minimum) Iowa beers that they could probably keep a keg of at all times:

TG Psuedo Sue
Confluence IPA
515 Mediocre/Passe
Alluvial Oxpresso
Big Grove Arms Race
West O Coco Stout
Peace Tree No Coast
Pulpit Rock Pour Over
Singlespeed Blanco

No Coast is bust a nut good.

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO

TG Psuedo Sue
Confluence IPA
515 Mediocre/Passe
Alluvial Oxpresso
Big Grove Arms Race
West O Coco Stout
Peace Tree No Coast
Pulpit Rock Pour Over
Singlespeed Blanco

Those are some fine selections. We should drink sometime.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron