Iowa Tap Room - Opening Feb/March 2016 - downtown Des Moines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I can't wait to get down there. I had at least 3 buddies in DSM all go between Saturday and yesterday and they all universally raved about it.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden
I can't wait to get down there. I had at least 3 buddies in DSM all go between Saturday and yesterday and they all universally raved about it.
Anything in particular? Or just the vast beer selection?

Really looking forward to checking this place out next time I'm in Des Moines.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Anything in particular? Or just the vast beer selection?

Really looking forward to checking this place out next time I'm in Des Moines.

The bar/facility itself. They were raving about the beer too, but I'd had a lot of the selections they were discussing (TG, Pulpit, Lion Bridge).

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
We stopped in last night. As one would expect it was packed. SRO. Couldn't even really get up to the bar - so we didn't stick around.

Much larger than I thought it would be. Parking wasn't a problem - even with as busy as it was (we got there around 8).

Had much more of a restaurant feel than I expected. There was a hostess waiting right as you walk in. I don't know that the other Full Court restaurants do that. Most are seat yourself. Wonder if that'll be on going or just because of the opening rush.

Beautiful place. Very open, neat feel. Kinda renovated warehouse. Kind of a semi-circle bar - I'd guess maybe 30+ seats. TVs all around over the taps, but I didn't notice that there were any elsewhere. Probably can seat another 200 or so at the tables.

Too bad state basketball is coming up - it'll be hard to get in there without being crazy.

Last edited:

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
I'll probably be down there on Friday night. Really looking forward to it. There's a lot of Iowa beer that I haven't had because it isn't available where I've lived in the state - should be a great opportunity to try new stuff but keep it local.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'll probably be down there on Friday night. Really looking forward to it. There's a lot of Iowa beer that I haven't had because it isn't available where I've lived in the state - should be a great opportunity to try new stuff but keep it local.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. Living in one corner of the state, it's hard to get to a lot of these places without making it a sole destination for a weekend road trip.

Granted, I really shouldn't complain about being stuck in a corner of the state when it comes to beer.

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006

Was able to actually get in and have dinner last night.

Be prepared - two days in and they are out of a TON of stuff (beers). Probably not unexpected. But I was like 0 for my first 3. Got one - then couldn't get the next two. Got one, couldn't get the next one or two, got another. Going down the IPA/Pale list - probably half are already out.

Came in a little after 6:00 and was told a 60-70 minute wait and was seated probably in 30-40. Oddly enough - really seemed to clear out after maybe 7:00. Getting a beer is a bit of a trick beyond availability - flagging down a bartender is an effort. Probably could use another 1 or 2. Waitress came around for the second beer and it took a good 20 minutes to get that.

I'm sure they'll get it worked out. 2 days... still need to get their feet under them.

TVs around the bar -unfortunately unless you're sitting AT the bar, you probably would have an obscured view (they have these pub tables to stand at). There are pendant lights hanging down that get in the way from many vantages. Only 1 other tv on either side - so if you want to catch a game, it's pretty much bar or not. Not nearly as many bar spots as I thought either. probably 25.

Food was pretty good. Only had a burger and an app of onion rings (awesome). From seeing other entrees coming out - they don't short change you.

Parking was a be-otch last night though. Not really sure which lots you can get into after hours. That will become clearer as time goes on.

Not seeing anything that looks like it'll be a patio. There is a spot out back - but really small.

Last edited:

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
Was able to actually get in and have dinner last night.

Be prepared - two days in and they are out of a TON of stuff (beers). Probably not unexpected. But I was like 0 for my first 3. Got one - then couldn't get the next two. Got one, couldn't get the next one or two, got another. Going down the IPA/Pale list - probably half are already out.

Came in a little after 6:00 and was told a 60-70 minute wait and was seated probably in 30-40. Oddly enough - really seemed to clear out after maybe 7:00. Getting a beer is a bit of a trick beyond availability - flagging down a bartender is an effort. Probably could use another 1 or 2. Waitress came around for the second beer and it took a good 20 minutes to get that.

I'm sure they'll get it worked out. 2 days... still need to get their feet under them.

TVs around the bar -unfortunately unless you're sitting AT the bar, you probably would have an obscured view (they have these pub tables to stand at). There are pendant lights hanging down that get in the way from many vantages. Only 1 other tv on either side - so if you want to catch a game, it's pretty much bar or not. Not nearly as many bar spots as I thought either. probably 25.

Food was pretty good. Only had a burger and an app of onion rings (awesome). From seeing other entrees coming out - they don't short change you.

Parking was a be-otch last night though. Not really sure which lots you can get into after hours. That will become clearer as time goes on.

Not seeing anything that looks like it'll be a patio. There is a spot out back - but really small.

So.....if i want to come in and just do some brews do I have to wait to be seated along with all the food seekers?

mcfaj0dm

Mar 30, 2006
So.....if i want to come in and just do some brews do I have to wait to be seated along with all the food seekers?

No - there are seats at the bar if you can get one. And there are a couple tables right near the bar to stand at (no seats) and have a beer. That's what I did while waiting for a table for dinner. Appeared that anything with seats (away from the bar) was hostess seating. I imagine you could get seated at a table and just drink.

It was just a bit tough to squeeze in to the bar and get a first order. And the waitress who took my second order - took her like 20 minutes to get that beer. Then there was the complication of moving my tab from the bar to a waitress. Honestly - I wasn't expecting a waitress at that standing table. That's nice.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

I still contend it will be a long time before you have trouble finding parking within 2-4 blocks. yeah...you'll waste time looking for parking lots, but should be plenty on-street parking between E Court Ave, Walnut St, and a couple of the north/south numbered streets. There just isn't a lot of things along those streets yet that would generate completing parking needs.

On the patio, one of the articles I read said the patio will be going in where the dead-end alley currently is located adjacent to the building immediately to the north.

Last edited:

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Got my first beers in here yesterday. Didn't eat. Looks like they are having the usual new restaraunt hiccups in terms of the food and getting the food out but everything went smoothly while sitting at the bar. I like how the Iowa beer sparks conversation among the patrons. Need to get the bike parking sorted. One rack out front is all I saw and those were taken so I hitched up on a metal stake holding up a tree.

I drank:

TG Pompeii
515 OJ IPA
Twisted Vine twisted blonde

Last edited:

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Got my first beers in here yesterday. Didn't eat. Looks like they are having the usual new restaraunt hiccups in terms of the food and getting the food out but everything went smoothly while sitting at the bar. I like how the Iowa beer sparks conversation among the patrons. Need to get the bike parking sorted. One rack out front is all I saw and those were taken so I hitched up on a metal stake holding up a tree.

I drank:

TG Pompeii
515 OJ IPA
Twisted Vine twisted blonde
I understand this, but at the same time I don't. A lot of the staff has worked in the service industry before. Heck, a lot of the staff have worked at other Full Court Press restaurants. I guess it is a new environment, and they've only been open for a week, but IMO, it's not that steep of a learning curve.

As for bikes. There is an area in the back they're contemplating turning into a bike "parking garage". Pretty cool idea.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
I went this week and here were my observations:

The building and bar are really a work of art. Great tile work on the floor. The grain bin tap is really awesome. Lots of brick, wood, metal. Really hip place.

It was an absolute madhouse which surprised me for 7pm on a weekday. I heard the hostesses saying 90+ minutes for a table for 4. It feels like more of a restaurant than a bar. We were in there for 2 hours and never got a bar stool even though we hovered.

The bar does have gaps which is a natural place to jump in and flag down for a drink. Usually took 1-2 minutes to get attention, then 1-2 minutes for the tap. Not bad considering how busy they were.

Had one bartender fill my glass only 80% or so. Asked her to top it off and she did.

Great selection of beers, had a few I never had before. Thats what I really like about the concept - I can try new things and keep it local.

Will have to go back again and try the nitro coffee. Hopefully it will calm down a little after everyone has been once. I don't mind busy bars but it was a little busy for my taste on a weeknight.

Beers consumed (not all by me):
Peacetree Sound Check
Twisted Vine Twisted Blonde
Lion Bridge Yard Sale
Reclaimed Rails Cornbelt Pilsner

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Granted, it'll be a few blocks away but this will be a big help with parking issues in the whole area:
http://www.kcci.com/news/parking-lo...m=facebook&utm_source=trueAnthem:+New+Content

Yes, that will help for parking in the area as a whole but there will be a garage completed sooner and only a block away as part of the City Square/Staybridge Suites project :
http://www.urbandsm.com/downtown/item/city-square

<edit - just viewed my own link and see now the ramp for the City Square will be private >

Regardless, the Iowa Tap Room is just the beginning of the redevelopment in that once forgotten part of downtown. This project is proposed 1/2 a block away on E Court (and rumor is there is brewery potentially already lined up up to go in here:

http://www.christensendevelopment.com/assets/317-e.-court-handout.pdf

Last edited:

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
I made my first visit to the Iowa Tap Room for a late Sunday lunch. Very neat place, good beer but the pleasant surprise was the quality of the food. Both my wife and I had very good choices. This place is a very solid addition to the East Village and will be even better when their outdoor deck is an option.

I sampled Lion Bridge's Workmen's Comp and Millstream's Schild Brau Amber....both quite enjoyable.

Talking with our server, she said their most popular beers since the taproom opened have been come from Confluence and Toppling Goliath.

BCoffClone125

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I also checked this place out for the first time this weekend, there were a few minor bumps but overall I was impressed. Went with a buddy of mine Saturday night around 7:00 pm, definitely had to be one of their peak hours. They originally told us it was a 2 hour wait for a table for two, but we put our name in, got a beer at the bar, and our buzzer went off about 20-30 mins later. It probably helped we had only two people, but it sounded like they were just trying to scare people away so it didn’t get too busy.

The food was very good, they have a good mix of options and it was reasonably priced. The silo bar looks awesome, and the TVs they have mounted above made it a pretty good place to watch a game. There is a lot of cool Iowa themed décor (I heard a lot of it came from West End Salvage) and even though the bar was crowded it’s still a pretty good sized place.

Now to the main highlight: the beer. I was able to sample about 6-7 different beers that I had never had before. The biggest complaint I had was they were out of roughly 20 beers, including a few that I wanted to try. I was still able to get a good variety in and was impressed with a few in particular:

-Peace Tree No Coast Grapefruit IPA
-Exile/Lion Bridge Pasteur Le Fluer
-Pulpit Rock Saftig

Overall, I liked the place and will definitely be going back. It definitely is unique being able to sample so many Iowa beers on tap without having to physically go to each brewery. I think it will only improve as the hype dies down a little, service works out the kinks, and they build more stuff around the area (looks like several apartment buildings are going up right now).