Iowa/Swarm Split?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I’d bet the Ferentz’s shut down any NIL collab. Can’t run the risk of their money bypassing the AD and missing their pocket in favor of the players. They’re just really good people ya know.

Something that makes it easier for black athletes to make money? You know Ferentz would be against that.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
NIL is a market only if the university has ties? That makes no sense.
I think the response means that if the university is going to have certain types of interaction with the collectives handing out NIL then Title IX may still be a factor.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86 and Kinch

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I think the response means that if the university is going to have certain types of interaction with the collectives handing out NIL then Title IX may still be a factor.
Ah, ok. I misunderstood the previous post because it was poorly worded. I agree that some types of interaction between the collectives and the Unis could bring Title IX into the picture, but I don't think it's a given. The point still stands that different athletes in different sports are more "valuable" to donors/collectives. So there's a market for athletes that varies based on their perceived worth.

• Dumb
Reactions: Marcelason78

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Ah, ok. I misunderstood the previous post because it was poorly worded. I agree that some types of interaction between the collectives and the Unis could bring Title IX into the picture, but I don't think it's a given. The point still stands that different athletes in different sports are more "valuable" to donors/collectives. So there's a market for athletes that varies based on their perceived worth.
I don’t think anyone really knows yet. But universities have been interacting with the collectives directly or indirectly by having contact with the same donors that give to the collectives. So from the lawsuit perspective it’s not as simple as diverting money through a collective as a way to get around title IX.

On the flip side, I can see some tension between the ADs and collectives. Despite all the money a lot of these athletic departments have a ton of debt and may not appreciate donations getting realigned and shifted to NIL collectives.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
"Frankly, they're glad I'm holding Iowa athletics accountable."

(Fran and Kirk)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
"The excuses that I've gotten"

Yikes

I saw a lot of rumblings on the tweeter machine that Iowa's legal department has a lot to do with this. Did they discuss that at all?

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I saw a lot of rumblings on the tweeter machine that Iowa's legal department has a lot to do with this. Did they discuss that at all?
If there are any communications (emails, etc.) from the Swarm guy to Barta indicating even the slightest hint that specific women's sports are something he isn't interested in raising money to support, Barta would have to distance himself from it. Open records law would discover it eventually. This isn't all that complicated.

Reactions: CapnCy