Iowa/Swarm Split?

Cyfan2901

Dec 18, 2022
That seems pretty unreasonablly high tbh
By $7-8 million. What I find hilarious about this NIL era is there’s very, very few of these guys that actually marketable. Someone like Bryce Young fits the mold, but he’s an expectation. Most of these guys have little pull, aside from some local stuff.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That's a tasty tweet.

I still think Miller's story of being in an unknown room at CHA with Alford and Iowa is one of the most fascinating things I've ever heard.
Agreed. I was going to post something about that too. It’s easy to see why many hawks dislike him.

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
From this thread:
Absolutely worth a listen in the Iowa Everything podcast. Miller had a source that the Alford camp reached out to Mizzou and he kind of reported it. After the story came out, he said the Iowa staff basically met with him in a room he didn't know existed at CHA and tried to intimidate him. Not physically but very, very awkward sounding.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I don't see Iowa being able to pull that kind of money annually. This is why so many people like myself believe that if you survive the next few years this will all settle down. When these donors start seeing a zero ROI on NIL deals the money flow will slow down.

Just go back through history and anything that anyone ever said was “the Wild West” gets tamed eventually.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
That's a tasty tweet.

I still think Miller's story of being in an unknown room at CHA with Alford and Iowa is one of the most fascinating things I've ever heard.
Remind me again of the story please..

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That's a tasty tweet.

Sounds just like how conservatives would do it. Shielded from the light of day and to their enormous advantage.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Is this that big of deal? All this coverage and publicity is probably just as good as getting that list. I'm sure a bunch of people have donated as an FU to Barta.

Edit: it is always funny to watch that AD operate like a clown show

• Creative
Reactions: nrg4isu

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm late to the party here but my initial thoughts are if university and collective are to be separate entities then the university providing them lists of season ticket holders and donors now directly connects them to the collective. If they release those lists to them, to cover their liability for Title 9 then you would have to release the info for ALL sports. But another thing that has me curious is that information is somewhat private information so does the university legally have the right to give your season ticket or donor contact information to an outside entity? Would assume there is some kind of fine print somewhere but when I purchase season tickets I would assume that if some other entity asked ISU for my information they aren't obligated to give it out without permission?

I think we are going to see a lot of legal battles play out in the coming years with NIL. Especially when it becomes obvious that the money is not fairly distributed out. This is where I can see why a university would be hesitant to share any information with a collective that is supposed to be a separate entity as if you only give them say the football and MBB lists then I think you now open up a liability with T9 that you aren't being inclusive to all the sports. Also wonder if it makes a grey area with privacy where they are giving out information without consent. Just a lot of grey areas and loopholes that are likely going to result in eventual lawsuits I'm sure.

I also think give it a few years and once the NIL craze runs its course and people who are donating big sums of money with the hopes of conference titles and national championships don't see the results at some point the return on that money may not be valued the way it is today. There will be a breaking point where some collective raises a ton of money and their football team is still stuck in mediocrity or greatly under performs expectations where the big donors stop pumping the kind of money they are now into it.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So call me crazy but I actually kind of agree with Barta on this one. Why would it be in Iowa's best interest to share season ticket holder and donor information with the Swarm? That would seem very counter productive for the Iowa athletic department. IMO Brad is some what creating a faux scenario in regards to Iowa and the collectives. It's not that they don't what the collectives involved, they just aren't going to provide them with contact info and that's honestly fine. In aa nut shell he Barta wants separation between the university and the collectives which isn't a bad thing. Just my two cents but Brad came across as kind of whiney.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU and Acylum

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
So call me crazy but I actually kind of agree with Barta on this one. Why would it be in Iowa's best interest to share season ticket holder and donor information with the Swarm? That would seem very counter productive for the Iowa athletic department. IMO Brad is some what creating a faux scenario in regards to Iowa and the collectives. It's not that they don't what the collectives involved, they just aren't going to provide them with contact info and that's honestly fine. In aa nut shell he Barta wants separation between the university and the collectives which isn't a bad thing. Just my two cents but Brad came across as kind of whiney.

It’s because he knows the donor base. If you have this Collective out there bashing people over the head with “this will get the football team to 10 wins every year!” then hok fan will just throw all of their money away to that end and the actual AD will crumble. Money isn’t infinite.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: houjix and Acylum

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron