Iowa State vs South Carolina

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Obviously Jay-Z wants Hoiberg to dance in his new music video.

In all seriousness, this makes sense if there was a 4 team tournament with a guarantee of 2 games....

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Two coach,

Outside of Florida and Kentucky who are you guaranteed to play in the non-conference that actually participated in the NCAA Tournament last year? I think the answer is zero based on the KU schedule release.

KU's schedule is better than ours but it is tremendously watered down from last year. Temple, Georgetown and UNLV are nice name opponents but they were all terrible last year. In fact South Carolina was much better than Temple.

Last edited:

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
I'm sort of with twocoach here, wondering if Iowa State will play a good team in its non-conference schedule. Iowa should be a tough game, but it will be hard to get excited for the others. It's more fun to play a good team that you could beat but probably won't than to roll over a team you should beat. Honestly, I would rather see ISU play at Michigan State or at Florida, where they'd be a heavy underdog, than to watch them throttle UMKC. Am I alone?

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
Two coach,

Outside of Florida and Kentucky who are you guaranteed to play in the non-conference that actually participated in the NCAA Tournament last year? I think the answer is zero based on the KU schedule release.

KU's schedule is better than ours but it is tremendously watered down from last year. Temple, Georgetown and UNLV are nice name opponents but they were all terrible last year. In fact South Carolina was much better than Temple.

Well, KU's schedule was the toughest in the country. What do you want from them? To play all of their games on the road?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
More than they would if we played in South Dakota?

Here's a flyer for last year's matchups at the Barclays Center:

http://barclayscenter.s3.amazonaws.com/doc/BC_Winter_Hoops_Festival_Group_Flyer_2013-updated.pdf

Legitimate question: Is it more? I'm curious what reason NY media would have to cover this game. It's the sort of thing we throw out as a positive. I'm wondering if there's actually any merit to it, because I don't see why NY media will spend a moment on ISU-South Carolina.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Legitimate question: Is it more? I'm curious what reason NY media would have to cover this game. It's the sort of thing we throw out as a positive. I'm wondering if there's actually any merit to it, because I don't see why NY media will spend a moment on ISU-South Carolina.
The dreamiest coach in America will be there?
ku_bkc_isu_17_t436x500.jpg

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Well, KU's schedule was the toughest in the country. What do you want from them? To play all of their games on the road?

Temple was 9-22 last year. UNLV was a Top 100 squad. Georgetown and Utah were both NIT squads. Even the Old Spice Classic is full of rebuilding teams in Michigan State and Tennessee. What I'm saying is that college basketball is a fluid proposition and Arkansas, Arizona State and Maryland might all be NCAA tournament teams this year. That would give us 5 games against NCAA tourney teams (Iowa and Georgia State being the other two). Along with 12 games in the conference against tourney squads that is a pretty damn good schedule. Probably better than last year's to be honest.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I would think you'd want to schedule at least one big name opponent each non-conference whether it's at home or on the road. What's so bad about playing a big game on the road? If you lose at eg. Duke, that doesn't hurt you AT ALL. But a win is gold.

I can understand why we wouldn't schedule a gauntlet this year, but no downside from a single tough away game.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If ISU is supposed to be a Top 15 team then there aren't many teams in the country that ISU fans should consider a tough game. There are a lot of teams between "tough game" and South Carolina. That's all I am saying. They were really awful last year.

Of course. And getting those teams on the schedule is extremely difficult.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm sort of with twocoach here, wondering if Iowa State will play a good team in its non-conference schedule. Iowa should be a tough game, but it will be hard to get excited for the others. It's more fun to play a good team that you could beat but probably won't than to roll over a team you should beat. Honestly, I would rather see ISU play at Michigan State or at Florida, where they'd be a heavy underdog, than to watch them throttle UMKC. Am I alone?

You're not and I agree. However those teams basically play scrubs and other blue bloods. Like Beilein said he wasn't going back to Iowa State any time soon.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Dang, that Gonzaga neutral site series would have been awesome. A lot better than South Carolina.

How is that awesome to not even get a game in your STATE? 67 other teams made the tourney last year, I am sure ISU could get a home and home with one of them. It doesn't have to be Duke or Kentucky, just a team that makes the tourney most of the time. Michigan State and Ohio State will take on tough home/home series. The good teams in the Mountain West are taking home/home games now. KU has a series with both New Mexico and San Diego State going right now.

St Louis, Cincinnati, Temple, Georgetown and Marquette all offer the bonus of a game in a big city for recruiting bumps. Heck, give Dayton a call. They'd probably love to capitalize on their Elite Eight run with a good series. There are plenty of teams out there that would book a series.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
You're not and I agree. However those teams basically play scrubs and other blue bloods. Like Beilein said he wasn't going back to Iowa State any time soon.

Michigan State will play anyone on any floor on any continent. They have a series going with Texas, that's no different than playing Iowa State.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
How is that awesome to not even get a game in your STATE? 67 other teams made the tourney last year, I am sure ISU could get a home and home with one of them. It doesn't have to be Duke or Kentucky, just a team that makes the tourney most of the time. Michigan State and Ohio State will take on tough home/home series. The good teams in the Mountain West are taking home/home games now. KU has a series with both New Mexico and San Diego State going right now.

St Louis, Cincinnati, Temple, Georgetown and Marquette all offer the bonus of a game in a big city for recruiting bumps. Heck, give Dayton a call. They'd probably love to capitalize on their Elite Eight run with a good series. There are plenty of teams out there that would book a series.

If only we had a coach with your level of KU expertise.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Of course. And getting those teams on the schedule is extremely difficult.

Bah. Go look at the amazing non-con games that have been played the last two years. We are in a virtually unprecedented time where teams are finally straying away from home and playing games. There have been more great non-con games in the last two years than in any time in my memory. Now is the time to capitalize on the marketability of ISU basketball. The AD should be burning up the phone lines.