Iowa State vs South Carolina

Illiniclone

Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, it's a bummer that we're only playing two of the four teams from last year's Final Four in Kentucky and Florida.

Good for you. How big of a loser do you have to be to come to another teams board and run your mouth? I bet you're the tool that sat in front of me at the Big 12 tournament that stood up and flexed his non-existent muscles every time Kansas scored. Get a life man.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Usually when we try to get a good high major for a home and home they expect us to play on the road the first game. This year we already play a high major on the road. I'm not saying it won't still happen, but at this point, playing the round robin schedule in conference is tougher than most other conferences, and with McKay not eligible yet, maybe it isn't the right year to start one.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
The GA Southern game is a better one than the name sounds like, but that's not an impressive slate of opponents.

They are ok. They have harrow the Kentucky transfer. Ware the Louisville transfer and hollowell the Indiana transfer both have to sit out this year. Ware is trying to get a waiver.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If South Carolina wasn't so terrible I would be a little more excited. Will be a bad loss if we lose this, expected to win.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
For those saying this game is for Diallo to come check us out, you guys realize he'll most likely already be committed by then, right?

I'm fine with this game. The opponent is definitely a little underwhelming but the only way I'll be upset with this game is if it takes the place of the home-home we're trying to schedule right now.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
I assume this isn't the high major the staff was talking about, if it is yikes this non-con schedule is bad...

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
They weren't our top pick, but Iowa State is having trouble finding good teams who want to come to Hilton right now.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Travis Hines tweeted a story about non-con scheduling:

ISU tried to get home-and-homes with Minnesota and Nebraska and were rebuffed.

ESPN wanted to set up a two-game series between ISU and Gonzaga at neutral sites (potentially Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD and Moda Center in Portland, OR) but we didn't want to do that.

So, instead we went with the NYC game.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
They weren't our top pick, but Iowa State is having trouble finding good teams who want to come to Hilton right now.
That's what they all say. Yet somehow all these other teams manage to book tough home/home series with each other even though it means playing tough road games.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
That's what they all say. Yet somehow all these other teams manage to book tough home/home series with each other even though it means playing tough road games.

It's a little different when you're a storied blue blood program with history. Maybe down the road it will change, but right now teams like Kentucky or Duke don't want to come to Hilton and "lose to a team like Iowa State". Michigan booked us before knowing what Fred was doing, and they now wish they hadn't come to Hilton. Their coach even came out a few months ago and said he's glad he doesn't have to come back to Hilton.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

ESPN wanted to set up a two-game series between ISU and Gonzaga at neutral sites (potentially Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD and Moda Center in Portland, OR) but we didn't want to do that.

That Gonzaga series would have been excellent, especially at the Sprint Center or Century Link Arena.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I totally want better competition in our Non-con. I think ISU is a top 10 possibly top 5 team next year. They are stacked, and have depth. Not predicting a #1 but I think it's within the realm of possibility. Hoiberg has already got us to near perennial potential.

I can't even make a starting line up prediction because there too many good players to choose from.
Best I can figure:

Morris Custer
BDJ Long\Thomas
Hogue<--?-->Nader
Niang Nader
McKay Edozie

Length, athleticism, re bounders, toughness, shooters, rim protectors, depth, experience.... I'm so ready for this season.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

Dang, that Gonzaga neutral site series would have been awesome. A lot better than South Carolina.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
That Gonzaga series would have been excellent, especially at the Sprint Center or Century Link Arena.

I didn't like it in South Dakota, but having it in Omaha would have been fantastic. A series in Omaha/Seattle or Omaha/Portland would have been solid.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Even Twocoach would have showed up to watch the game in Omaha. Just like many KU fans, he's a closet Hoiberg fan.

I don't think many KU fans are closet Hoiberg fans, I think they are out in support of him except for when they play ISU.

And the venue vs. USC is much better than the ones we could have had vs. Gonzaga. I want to play in the NE and around NYC as much as possible. Great exposure for the program and our players/recruits

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I don't think many KU fans are closet Hoiberg fans, I think they are out in support of him except for when they play ISU.

And the venue vs. USC is much better than the ones we could have had vs. Gonzaga. I want to play in the NE and around NYC as much as possible. Great exposure for the program and our players/recruits

Is it exposure if they don't go to the game?
Serious question. Who out there is buying tickets for Iowa State-South Carolina in Brooklyn?