Iowa State Uniform Discussions

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I understand the desire for a gold helmet or pant. But I am surprised at some of you. As soon as we get a gold helmet or pant in the current gold/yellow, or in the Criner/Walden gold, we will have just as many fans or more b******g about how bright the gold is, ketchup and mustard, etc. It doesn't make sense to me! Besides Campbell is never going for it. If he does, it will be a long term mistake.

There is no better time than now to break out of the mold, that of the mid '80's and beyond mold of our current gold as primary. The bright yellow gold is ok/great as secondary accent gold IMO, but the Criner/Walden era and present gold helmets or pants is a mistake.

The CYCLONES logo on the Waldon-era helmets, and/or a modified Cyclone/tornado from the Criner-era would both be great, but ONLY in the '70's gold.

You're overthinking it. Throwbacks are usually a one-game deal. It's more about having fun than making some kind of statement about the color of gold lol. We're not changing colors or logos here, just wearing throwback uniforms.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
1613761228512.png

Nobody is going to care that these are the "wrong" shades of cardinal and gold. 90s style is in right now and they fall into the "so ugly they're cool" category for me. Throwbacks are about representing a period of time, not modernizing an old look. I would love to see these in action in 2021.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I don't want to see any throwbacks that are KC Chief colors. ISU is school colors are NOT ketchup and mustard.

No throwbacks at all this season, please. ISU is gunning for a CFP spot... let's not bring in reminders of the past failures of the 80's and 90s. Let's keep what ISU did in 2020 for the moment.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't want to see any throwbacks that are KC Chief colors. ISU is school colors are NOT ketchup and mustard.

No throwbacks at all this season, please. ISU is gunning for a CFP spot... let's not bring in reminders of the past failures of the 80's and 90s. Let's keep what ISU did in 2020 for the moment.

They aren't? Someone should've told Nike and our athletic department a long time ago. I don't think people understand the concept of throwback.

Nor'easter

Sep 25, 2016

I mean I think we have used more ketchup and mustard as our colors than "cardinal" and "gold"

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
... if he does, it will be a long term mistake. ...
If you're going to do it, you do it correctly. That's the rule for throwbacks. You don't have a$$ it or mix and match, because that's when things go south. Take our bugle logo for example. We thought it'd be cool to modernize our old tornado logo and it took literally one game for our fans and the national media to criticize it.

Pitt's throwbacks are perfect and they are now their primary uniforms. They also have a similar look to what we're going for in the 80's uniforms, and their helmets / pants are awesome. Obviously if you hate the color yellow, you're not going to like a uniform combination where your helmets and pants are yellow. If Campbell hates yellow so much that we can't have that uniform, fine, pick a different era but do it correctly.

Pertaining to the long term mistake comment, I don't think a uniform combination would ever turn into a long term mistake. If the public despises it like they did the bugle logo, they'll just get rid of the uniforms. They'll sell the jerseys and helmets and it won't be a big deal. BUT if you do this correctly, you could have a uniform that's used for years to come.
You're overthinking it. Throwbacks are usually a one-game deal. It's more about having fun than making some kind of statement about the color of gold lol. We're not changing colors or logos here, just wearing throwback uniforms.
You both are correct. I was overthinking it a little. Walden-era throwbacks would be cool. Most of those were good sets. Having that exact, or close to uni, for a game or two would be fine. I just don't think we are going to do it under Campbell, in that shade of gold (yellow). Besides in this covid time, can we really afford the expense of making a uniform set for just one or two games? I think we need to get back on our feet financially first. That may take awhile.

If then we were talking about making a close-to-throwback set, say from the Walden time, and using it a little longer on a regular basis (see Pittsburg as you say), the mistake would be using that era gold/yellow, or our current gold, IMO.

Reactions: beentherebefore

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If the equipment team is tweeting about them, we're getting something. Those jerseys have a ton of potential. It would be interesting to see what they come up with. You either exercise some demons from the Walden era or invite the wrath of the early '90s football gods in our most anticipated season ever. I say bring on the throwbacks.
1613775790862.png

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006

Or how about we honor those who were part of this journey in our greatest season ever!

Reactions: beentherebefore

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
You both are correct. I was overthinking it a little. Walden-era throwbacks would be cool. Most of those were good sets. Having that exact, or close to uni, for a game or two would be fine. I just don't think we are going to do it under Campbell, in that shade of gold (yellow). Besides in this covid time, can we really afford the expense of making a uniform set for just one or two games? I think we need to get back on our feet financially first. That may take awhile.

If then we were talking about making a close-to-throwback set, say from the Walden time, and using it a little longer on a regular basis (see Pittsburg as you say), the mistake would be using that era gold/yellow, or our current gold, IMO.

I think the "Campbell hates gold" is overblown, but who knows. I just don't see the athletic department putting out those graphics without some purpose, but I've been wrong on that before. What sold it to me was the ISU Equipment account's reaction. Usually if they respond, something is in the works.

Reactions: motorcy90

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

1613931608341.png

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
View attachment 82041

Nobody is going to care that these are the "wrong" shades of cardinal and gold. 90s style is in right now and they fall into the "so ugly they're cool" category for me. Throwbacks are about representing a period of time, not modernizing an old look. I would love to see these in action in 2021.

To me, that’d be doing a throwback just for the sake of doing a throwback. There's no compelling historic reason to use it (unless we schedule a non-conf vs. Nebraska, as a nod to the '92 upset). It’s close to the Bruce era design, use those instead if we want to add an alternate to the mix.

I realize we’ve had similar debates about resurrecting Criner-era logo because of negative connotation, but that's logo-only and not full uniform design.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
To me, that’d be doing a throwback just for the sake of doing a throwback. There's no compelling historic reason to use it (unless we schedule a non-conf vs. Nebraska, as a nod to the '92 upset). It’s close to the Bruce era design, use those instead if we want to add an alternate to the mix.

I realize we’ve had similar debates about resurrecting Criner-era logo because of negative connotation, but that's logo-only and not full uniform design.

Throwbacks aren't always tied to honoring an era or team. Might just be a jersey that the coaches or players thought were cool. Just speculating obviously.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Now we're talking! I'm not sure the sleeve stripes are practical these days, as Nike jerseys are cut pretty high up the sleeve. So you'd prolly have to move the stripes up, then move the sleeve numbers to the shoulder board? Atleast move the stripes up.

The idea here is that you've used our '70's gold! Then the Walden helmets. It looks so much better without the extreme Criner, Walden, current yellow. Good job!

I've got a couple of similar. Will post soon.

Help Support Us

Become a patron