Iowa State Uniform Discussions

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
If the equipment team is tweeting about them, we're getting something. Those jerseys have a ton of potential. It would be interesting to see what they come up with. You either exercise some demons from the Walden era or invite the wrath of the early '90s football gods in our most anticipated season ever. I say bring on the throwbacks.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
If the equipment team is tweeting about them, we're getting something. Those jerseys have a ton of potential. It would be interesting to see what they come up with. You either exercise some demons from the Walden era or invite the wrath of the early '90s football gods in our most anticipated season ever. I say bring on the throwbacks.
I think we'll do the Walden era ones and they become a team favorite like the black uniforms and we'll use variations of them. Our guys liked the blacks because they gave us confidence. Throwbacks are a perfect way to get our players excited to wear the school colors.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Please no throwbacks of the 80's and early 90s. Bad football, bad memories.

The 70's? Ok.

But... this is a special year potentially.... let's roll with the current uni's

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006

The 70's? Ok.

I am all in on a modified throwback. By that, I mean if we take the Iowa State and that stupid font off of the twister, I really like the designs on this thread with just the twister.

With the gold helmet, I would love to see the I-State stencil in red on that helmet to go with the striping. Would look sharp and could be in rotation.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
So who owns that balloon now? Imagine firing that thing up on the practice field and letting it liftoff and float over the stadium during a game.
Seems like an ISU Prof named Woodman operated that version of the balloon all those years ago. No idea what became of the balloon or the operator.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It's a sign!.....doubtful

I think we'll do the Walden era ones and they become a team favorite like the black uniforms and we'll use variations of them. Our guys liked the blacks because they gave us confidence. Throwbacks are a perfect way to get our players excited to wear the school colors.

The 70's? Ok.

I am all in on a modified throwback. By that, I mean if we take the Iowa State and that stupid font off of the twister, I really like the designs on this thread with just the twister.

With the gold helmet, I would love to see the I-State stencil in red on that helmet to go with the striping. Would look sharp and could be in rotation.
I understand the desire for a gold helmet or pant. But I am surprised at some of you. As soon as we get a gold helmet or pant in the current gold/yellow, or in the Criner/Walden gold, we will have just as many fans or more b******g about how bright the gold is, ketchup and mustard, etc. It doesn't make sense to me! Besides Campbell is never going for it. If he does, it will be a long term mistake.

There is no better time than now to break out of the mold, that of the mid '80's and beyond mold of our current gold as primary. The bright yellow gold is ok/great as secondary accent gold IMO, but the Criner/Walden era and present gold helmets or pants is a mistake.

The CYCLONES logo on the Waldon-era helmets, and/or a modified Cyclone/tornado from the Criner-era would both be great, but ONLY in the '70's gold.

Reactions: Land Shark

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I understand the desire for a gold helmet or pant. But I am surprised at some of you. As soon as we get a gold helmet or pant in the current gold/yellow, or in the Criner/Walden gold, we will have just as many fans or more b******g about how bright the gold is, ketchup and mustard, etc. It doesn't make sense to me! Besides Campbell is never going for it. If he does, it will be a long term mistake.

There is no better time than now to break out of the mold, that of the mid '80's and beyond mold of our current gold as primary. The bright yellow gold is ok/great as secondary accent gold IMO, but the Criner/Walden era and present gold helmets or pants is a mistake.

The CYCLONES logo on the Waldon-era helmets, and/or a modified Cyclone/tornado from the Criner-era would both be great, but ONLY in the '70's gold.
If you're going to do it, you do it correctly. That's the rule for throwbacks. You don't have a$$ it or mix and match, because that's when things go south. Take our bugle logo for example. We thought it'd be cool to modernize our old tornado logo and it took literally one game for our fans and the national media to criticize it.

Pitt's throwbacks are perfect and they are now their primary uniforms. They also have a similar look to what we're going for in the 80's uniforms, and their helmets / pants are awesome. Obviously if you hate the color yellow, you're not going to like a uniform combination where your helmets and pants are yellow. If Campbell hates yellow so much that we can't have that uniform, fine, pick a different era but do it correctly.

Pertaining to the long term mistake comment, I don't think a uniform combination would ever turn into a long term mistake. If the public despises it like they did the bugle logo, they'll just get rid of the uniforms. They'll sell the jerseys and helmets and it won't be a big deal. BUT if you do this correctly, you could have a uniform that's used for years to come.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's hilarious to me how many people ***** about shades of a certain color not matching on a uniform set, but yet they cream their jeans about the 1970s uniforms -- which had three different shades of gold (pants, jersey, and helmet were all different).

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I don't see Jamie or the university moving away from the current colors anytime soon. But, since there is such a fondness for the darker versions of our colors, the university could adopt them as "Legacy Cardinal" and "Legacy Gold". That would allow for retention of our current coloring and not require rebranding things campus wide, while allowing uniform alternates that utilize the darker colors.

Last edited: