Iowa State men's basketball team (as a whole)

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I feel like there should be a post on here this week that tells everyone to calm down and enjoy this. The season is ending soon enough. I wish we could just enjoy it.

That's pretty much what I Tweeted yesterday. I hate it when March starts since that signals the end of the season is almost here and we won't be able to see guys like Melvin play in an ISU jersey ever again.

March is a pretty bitter-sweet month.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'll switch gears to a serious post:
I never imagined that a group of fans could enjoy a season this good so little. This should be an amazingly fun ride for the site, but seems to be close to a miserable one that people just refuse to enjoy.

No kidding. We had a February for the ages and I'm guessing that if you looked at the posts on here throughout February, you would have thought it was a below average month.

Oh well, despite my complaining about it, I am doing my best to enjoy it. I just wish that everyone else would too.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That's pretty much what I Tweeted yesterday. I hate it when March starts since that signals the end of the season is almost here and we won't be able to see guys like Melvin play in an ISU jersey ever again.

No kidding. One more home game. That's so incredibly sad to me.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I never imagined that a group of fans could enjoy a season this good so little. This should be an amazingly fun ride for the site, but seems to be close to a miserable one that people just refuse to enjoy.

Why does every discussion about team weak spots or losses instantly mean fans are miserable? This team has some warts. I thought that's what this forum was for. I don't have a problem if people want to talk about it. Some will always overreact in wins or losses. That's the "Fanatic" part of CF.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Why does every discussion about team weak spots or losses instantly mean fans are miserable? This team has some warts. I thought that's what this forum was for. I don't have a problem if people want to talk about it.

On its own, that doesn't, because the team has weak spots. Strangely, those discussions tend to bring out the "true fans don't complain" or whatever comments, and that thread spirals away.

Overall, I'm sensing a general odd lack of enjoyment for the season. It could just be that some people are going ahead and enjoying it while others are loud about whatever.

There are various ways that people don't seem to enjoy this fantastic season, if that makes sense.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Why does every discussion about team weak spots or losses instantly mean fans are miserable? This team has some warts. I thought that's what this forum was for. I don't have a problem if people want to talk about it. Some will always overreact in wins or losses. That's the "Fanatic" part of CF.

The general mood on here has been pretty negative since we lost our first game.

Every team has weak spots and it seems like Iowa State fans are really angry about the fact that Iowa State has them.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The general mood on here has been pretty negative since we lost our first game.

Every team has weak spots and it seems like Iowa State fans are really angry about the fact that Iowa State has them.

I think the mood goes with how the team goes, and I imagine that is to be expected.

Posts on a bulletin board don't represent a poll of the fan base. When we lose, there are more negative threads, and negative people post in them. When we win, it is the opposite. I live a long way from Ames, and the game threads are the best because the ledge jumpers self identify 5 minutes into the game and we usually get to pick on them later. People always want to talk about negatives, it's human nature.

One of my favorite comedy bits was by Louis CK a couple years ago. He talks about how everything is great and nobody is happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEY58fiSK8E

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I think the mood goes with how the team goes, and I imagine that is to be expected.

Posts on a bulletin board don't represent a poll of the fan base. When we lose, there are more negative threads, and negative people post in them. When we win, it is the opposite. I live a long way from Ames, and the game threads are the best because the ledge jumpers self identify 5 minutes into the game and we usually get to pick on them later.

That's some of it, not not the whole picture.

There's the extreme end of complaints, but that happens. There's a surprising amount for a team this good, but it's the Internet.
Then there's a strong "things seem good but they'll fall apart" wing that can't allow themselves to enjoy where things are without worrying about how badly they could go. That brings with it such thread ideas as "Worst case scenario" and what not, where people just spend their time fretting about potential downfalls that there's no real evidence for. Again, it's the Internet, but it seems a little strong, even for here.
Then the jihad against people calmly pointing out legitimate issues for the team, such as the three-point shooting. Some can handle that like adults, some cannot.

All of those are just things that you expect on the Internet, but each of them appear exaggerated to me in light of the outstanding season these guys are putting together.

I should add that I blame Cyclone Alley for messing all of that up. CW should get rid of them.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
I am thrilled with this year and have enjoyed it as much as any in the past 10 years. However, I am not satisfied. Especially this year when any of 20 teams could win the Championship. So I look at things to improve this team's chances of getting there. If we can improve these few problem areas, we have as good a shot of being national champion as anyone. So while I have enjoyed the year, I'm not satisfied with being ranked, being top 5 in the conference, winning the Big 12 tourney, or anything else except surviving and advancing in the NCAA Tourney.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

That's what people do on the internet. It's much easier to ***** about small things than to post positive, informative posts, and it only take a few negative posters to derail any thread.

Plus people spend so much time invested in only their team that they lose perspective. ISU has flaws but so does every team in this era of college basketball. This isn't the late 80's/early 90's, there aren't loaded teams with upperclass NBA talent at every position. There's extreme parity across the nation but I like they way we stack up with almost anyone. There aren't many teams out there with a better trio than Ejim/Kane/Niang.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That's what people do on the internet. It's much easier to ***** about small things than to post positive, informative posts, and it only take a few negative posters to derail any thread.

Plus people spend so much time invested in only their team that they lose perspective. ISU has flaws but so does every team in this era of college basketball. This isn't the late 80's/early 90's, there aren't loaded teams with upperclass NBA talent at every position. There's extreme parity across the nation but I like they way we stack up with almost anyone. There aren't many teams out there with a better trio than Ejim/Kane/Niang.

The internet doesn't help with this either.

I'll say this, I'm not sure how much of a run this team can make in March. But no matter what happens, this has been a fun and really successful season. I just don't want people to forget that or look past it. There are not many seasons in the history of Iowa State where they have spent the majority of the season ranked in the top 20. Not many at all.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa

I completely agree with this sentiment. I would put these three up against any other team's top three players. Okie State might be a close runner-up with Smart, Brown and Nash.

The K-State game seemed like a microcosm of the problem facing this team as it enters the Big XII and NCAA Tournaments, which is that there is a dramatic drop-off in talent from the starting five to the bench. I really notice this on defense, too. It means we have little margin for error when it comes to foul trouble. Iowa State probably has one of the weakest benches in the league. You look across the league and see that players like Rico Gathers and Phil Forte don't even start for their teams. We don't have any player like that, but maybe we got spoiled last year with McGee.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids

Agreed. I remember a time when I couldn't wait for March so I wouldn't have to watch some of the garbage teams we put on the court and that we were one season closer to being better, and also the fact that the best days of basketball were coming. Now it's exciting, but it's also really hard to let go of guys like Scotty C who suffered through 2 awful years before finally getting a post season birth here or 4 year starters like Ejim or Georges when the time comes. I feel like next season I'll probably be begging for this one to come back like I was begging last season for the Royce White team back. So yeah, let's enjoy this for the 1 month maximum we have left of it.

Off topic side note. If the game is out of reach for either team on senior night, Hoiberg should put in Ellerman into the game.

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Don't ever private message me again mother****er.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BigCojones
If there is a way to go look at my prior post any of you can go see I don't come on this board and melt down after loses. It's funny how some of you name call and make it personal. I don't have your gift of being blind to the issues I see.
This team is Kane away from being a next to last place teams in the Big 12. Got dam lucky to pull him in at the last minute and have him eligible this year.

So what your saying is you dont like BigCojones in your Box?? :jimlad:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
[video=youtube;XjwZAa2EjKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjwZAa2EjKA[/video]

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Your probably the same person who thought that Melvin was not good offensively when he was younger. Monte will become a better scorer. Matt will be fine. Naz will be solid.

I think I see where today's meltdown is going though. Even the most over-reacting fans realize that tonight's loss is not a huge deal (would have been a HUGE win and puts more pressure on the last two). So instead of freaking out over the loss, we are going to freak out over next year.

Careful JSB, BigCajones will challenge you to fight him at Big 12's in KC for calling him out via a private message, look out he is tough.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I'm not terribly disappointed with this game, but hate the position we are in right now. We have to go on the road again against a team playing better lately and fighting for their postseason lives. Then we get to come home and play another even scarier team also playing for their lives. 0-3 to finish would be awful and hurt our seed. It could also get in the guys heads for the B12 tourney. Because I obviously have no control over how the team handles their business I'm having nightmares about a 4 game slide and a crap seed. Maybe now that I've said it I can get over it! I love this team and hope much better for them. Hopefully they make Drew look like the idiot he is then ill stop cowering in my closet :)
go Cyclones!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron