Iowa State men's basketball team (as a whole)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
If there is a way to go look at my prior post any of you can go see I don't come on this board and melt down after loses. It's funny how some of you name call and make it personal. I don't have your gift of being blind to the issues I see.
This team is Kane away from being a next to last place teams in the Big 12. Got dam lucky to pull him in at the last minute and have him eligible this year.

I am not going to waste my time going through your posts. You made a very asinine statement. Every team has issues and the majority of our team had an off night in Bramlage. Most teams do. Niang plays. Normal and we may have won. Same with Naz.

Meltdowns are fun and all but this team will be fine. It's not like were the only team to lose to KSU, everyone in the conference has.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
If there is a way to go look at my prior post any of you can go see I don't come on this board and melt down after loses. It's funny how some of you name call and make it personal. I don't have your gift of being blind to the issues I see.
This team is Kane away from being a next to last place teams in the Big 12. Got dam lucky to pull him in at the last minute and have him eligible this year.

So Fred needs to recruit better but when he recruits an impact transfer, which he's done better than any coach in the country during his tenure, he's lucky? Matt Thomas was a top 100 recruit. So was Georges. Naz had a pretty impressive offer list. Monte was Mr Basketball in MICHIGAN. We're not exactly sucking hind tit in the recruiting game. I'm sure Fred would love to pull 3 top 25 recruits in every class but we don't have that kind of pedigree ....yet.

I understand the frustration with the loss tonight. We had our chances and it would've been a really nice win. That said I think your looking at things a little too critically if you can't see that the trajectory of this program is probably the best it's ever been.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
i hope we improve out FT shooting. It will be the determining factor in games later this season.

I really hope we stop missing so many shots right near the basket. We had to leave at least 12 easy points rolling off the rim from point blank range.

CyclOwnd

Dec 11, 2013
relax, KSU will go 9-0 at home in conference this year. Turns out it's tough to beat tourney teams on the road. (that's why they're tourney teams)

Is it also that tough to hit a shot on 11 attempts when resting half the game?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
It's hard to take these losses because we beat ourselves. I would say our only loss that we didn't beat ourselves was @ KU.

I disagree we lost to a very good team on the road that has lost One game at home since Weber got there, so we just came up a little short against the Cats.

I am very proud of the way this team played last night....Go Cyclones.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Either you meant to spell winner and failed, or meant to spell whiner and failed. Good job, you misspelled two words at once.

Well, I'm glad you left out the wiener possibility.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
We battled hard but Bramlage is a tough place to play. No harm in that. Just look at the Top 25 yesterday if you want a sense of how hard it is to win on the road, Syracuse, Creighton, Kansas, Saint Louis, Louisville, Texas, Cincy all are top 25 teams that lost on the road yesterday, and that's just the one's I can think of off the top of my head.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yep, this game could have gotten ugly if not for the toughness and never panic attitude. Other than Niang struggling a bit nothing surprising happened in this game. The only thing that worries me is yet another first 5 minutes of Washington Generals basketball. Do that against most teams in the tourney and we are getting bounced. How this team is completely out of sorts to start almost every game is maddening.
13-0 first half?

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yesterdays Loss Stings

Sure KSU is a solid team and very tough at home, but yesterday the Wildcats played very mediocre and it was a game the Cyclones should have stolen. Other than the obvious- missed free throws, there were three critical reasons for the loss:

Melvins technical. Not only were the 2 technical free throws big, but the foul that goes with it. Melvin picked up his 4th foul with 8 plus minutes left and had to sit. Our offense didn't score for close to 4 minutes and struggled the rest of the game. No T and Melvin isn't forced to go to the bench in a game where Matt and Naz couln't make a shot.

Hogues defense. He gives 1000% on rebounds, but his effort to fight through screens and agressively close on shooters has been a noticeable issue during some games this year. Yesterday was one of them.

Fred's substitutution pattern. I can understand riding Thomas and Long when they are hitting 3's. But when they aren't or when a team is pushing the ball inside- why not give Edozie or Gibson some minutes? Sometimes games aren't about outscoring the opponent, but

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
So let me get this straight.

Win 7 of 8, things are good. Lose on the road in arena Kansas couldn't even win in, sky is falling.

Got it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
So let me get this straight.

Win 7 of 8, things are good. Lose on the road in arena Kansas couldn't even win in, sky is falling.

Got it.

Not quite a "sky is falling" meltdown. Go to HN if you need some perspective on what a real meltdown looks like.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Re: Yesterdays Loss Stings

Sure KSU is a solid team and very tough at home, but yesterday the Wildcats played very mediocre and it was a game the Cyclones should have stolen. Other than the obvious- missed free throws, there were three critical reasons for the loss:

Melvins technical. Not only were the 2 technical free throws big, but the foul that goes with it. Melvin picked up his 4th foul with 8 plus minutes left and had to sit. Our offense didn't score for close to 4 minutes and struggled the rest of the game. No T and Melvin isn't forced to go to the bench in a game where Matt and Naz couln't make a shot.

Hogues defense. He gives 1000% on rebounds, but his effort to fight through screens and agressively close on shooters has been a noticeable issue during some games this year. Yesterday was one of them.

Fred's substitutution pattern. I can understand riding Thomas and Long when they are hitting 3's. But when they aren't or when a team is pushing the ball inside- why not give Edozie or Gibson some minutes? Sometimes games aren't about outscoring the opponent, but

Because in order for Fred's offense to work best, you need the threat of a 3 point shooter. They have to respect Naz and Matt out there.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Re: Yesterdays Loss Stings

Because in order for Fred's offense to work best, you need the threat of a 3 point shooter. They have to respect Naz and Matt out there.

Yes. Agree. Although Ejim and Kane hit a couple threes as did Niang. But in order for the offense to fully utilize CFH mismatches and spread our #2 G needs to be hitting shots.

What I didn't understand is why CFH was having Ejim guard Gibson with 3 fouls with like 10 min left in game?? dumb. Ejim picked up #4 at 8min mark or so. THen he sits. Oh well, mistakes happen but I'm surprised Doc didn't switch it up. Was a frustrating game as we had so many careless To's and missed lay ups that we normally make. Time to move on..we really need to beat Baylor.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Sometimes losses make people stupid. This thread aand many of the responses are a perfect example.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
We couldn't shoot and were in the game. In fact, we haven't shot well for the majority of the season. I thought it was going to be a long year if our best 3-point shooters were our bigs. But this team has a grittiness that we haven't seen on many Cyclone squads. They don't panic. They don't quit.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

Don't ever private message me again mother****er.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
So let me see, since Naz and Matt weren't hitting shots we should put Edozie/Percy in who have given us 0 offene all year? Got it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
If only it was that easy- they do that now.
Imo a better way would be for them to concentrate on their all-around game. Get them to give themselves a chance to contribute in more than just one way.

Agree. If it was just about getting shots up a lot if guys would be B12 players.