Iowa State Baseball

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyclone456

Apr 12, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't think there is anything disgraceful about ISU students wanting to represent the university doing something they enjoy. Especially after ISU got rid of varsity baseball.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I think a couple years ago they asked the athletic dept to use the logo and were turned down. Also, I was only able to stay a couple minutes but I didn't see Ross there. He may have been in the dugout but no one in there looked like him.
The paintball club is allowed to use the logo, so I don't see why the baseball club wouldn't be allowed.

Hasbeen

Apr 3, 2006
What these guys do is not Iowa State Baseball. They are not keeping anything "alive." Please insert the word Club in there somewhere when a bunch of overweight fellas get together to show off their bad swings and 73 mph fastballs.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
What these guys do is not Iowa State Baseball. They are not keeping anything "alive." Please insert the word Club in there somewhere when a bunch of overweight fellas get together to show off their bad swings and 73 mph fastballs.
Some of those guys throw a little harder than that...I threw with a couple guys from the team last fall and we were all mid 80s on a gun in the Rec. They're not great by any means but they all can play baseball.

Cydog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
Do yourself a favor: quit posting before you make a bigger idiot of yourself. Never once did anyone say it isn't a good reflection. Someone simply said it was equivalent to a 2A/3A team, which is completely legit.

Have you seen the club baseball team play? I come from a high school that has been in both 2A and 3A over the last several years, depending on whether or not it's a big class making up the high school. They traditionally have what I'd call an average to slightly above average baseball team and I'm pretty sure they would have trouble winning against the ISU club team. I'm not on the club team but know several people that are so I watched them a little bit this past weekend, and the pitching that they have would shut down a lot of high school teams. Even the guy in the picture who you guys have been joking about only gave up 2 runs against the team that won their conference last year. So I'm sure they'd lose some games to 2A/3A teams, but it's kinda like the Yankees playing the Orioles. The O's will probably win a few, but the Yankees will most likely dominate the series. I think the ISU club team would be the Yankees vs. a 2a team.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Have you seen the club baseball team play? I come from a high school that has been in both 2A and 3A over the last several years, depending on whether or not it's a big class making up the high school. They traditionally have what I'd call an average to slightly above average baseball team and I'm pretty sure they would have trouble winning against the ISU club team. I'm not on the club team but know several people that are so I watched them a little bit this past weekend, and the pitching that they have would shut down a lot of high school teams. Even the guy in the picture who you guys have been joking about only gave up 2 runs against the team that won their conference last year. So I'm sure they'd lose some games to 2A/3A teams, but it's kinda like the Yankees playing the Orioles. The O's will probably win a few, but the Yankees will most likely dominate the series. I think the ISU club team would be the Yankees vs. a 2a team.
The first team that came to mind when I saw 2A/3A was Heelan. I've seen the Crusaders play their fair share of baseball. I thought Heelan would be very competitive with the club team. The other team I thought of was Beckman-Dyersville, one of the better 2A teams, and thought they were comparable. I evaluated from the standard of respectable teams and not the crappy ones we tended to play :no: Most of the club pitchers would do well against either of those teams, but I wouldn't say they'd necessarily shut them down.

OC Cyclone

Mar 5, 2008
San Diego, CA
Ok...this is getting completely ridiculous to read. I will be the first one to admit that we aren't as good as any Division I baseball team in the country, nor do we try to be. We play in the National Club Baseball Association, in the Mid-America North Conference along with club teams from around the upper midwest. I will say we are far better than 2A/3A baseball teams in Iowa. We just took 3 of 4 from the defending conference champions this past weekend. Before you guys all judge us, and think we're a joke of a team, stop out at Cap Timm Field and watch a game...you might be surprised