Iowa Game Prediction Thread

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
One big reason we lost the 2021 game was that we got absolutely killed on field position. It'll still be a tall order, but based on what we saw Saturday, the improved ST play combined with defense should allow us to mitigate this. Have to limit mistakes and costly turnovers though.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
ISU 21
Iowa 17

Curious what your prediction would have been for this Cy-Hawk game last week, before seeing Iowa and ISU's first game?

I would have picked Iowa by 10 or more last week, but I'm now taking ISU 16-13. I know it's dumb to try to make to much out of what we saw from either team on Saturday, but Iowa surprised me a bit in a negative way, and ISU surprised me a bit in a positive way. I don't think either team showed much though and were playing it pretty vanilla.

Both OL's looked shaky and had trouble running the ball. Low scoring game seems inevitable.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Curious what your prediction would have been for this Cy-Hawk game last week, before seeing Iowa and ISU's first game?

I would have picked Iowa by 10 or more last week, but I'm now taking ISU 16-13. I know it's dumb to try to make to much out of what we saw from either team on Saturday, but Iowa surprised me a bit in a negative way, and ISU surprised me a bit in a positive way. I don't think either team showed much though and were playing it pretty vanilla.

Both OL's looked shaky and had trouble running the ball. Low scoring game seems inevitable.
I would have said Iowa 20 and ISU 10. Now I’m the opposite. Cade being immobile is a huge concern and we can’t run the ball at all. Defense also seemed to have taken a significant step back than what we have seen the last few years. I think it is still a good defense, but not elite like the last couple of years.

I didn’t watch ISU but they handled UNI with ease.

Reactions: tolstoy96

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I predict there will be 10,000 Hokroaches in the parking lots.... each with a warm case of PBR walking around. Only 20 will actually have tickets to the game.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Run blocking. I was stupidly thinking things would improve there. They haven't. ISU's D will be much better than Utah St.'s, and we averaged <3 yds per rush against Utah St.

Reactions: ZRF

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Run blocking. I was stupidly thinking things would improve there. They haven't. ISU's D will be much better than Utah St.'s, and we averaged <3 yds per rush against Utah St.

You didn't answer my question... what would your prediction for this game been a week ago, before seeing either Iowa or ISU play this week?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
You didn't answer my question... what would your prediction for this game been a week ago, before seeing either Iowa or ISU play this week?
Probably about the same, not sure of a score but I would've predicted an ISU win. A week ago I might have bumped the point total up.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
22 to 3 cyclones.

I really don’t think Iowa is very good, nor do I think they can score on our defense. Iowa will need a few turnovers to win. If we just stay clean we win easily. I don’t find this matchup particularly close.

Reactions: salennon07

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
We ran for 129 yards in this game last year, and USU rushed for 116, and they are not a good team. This could be a hot take, but I think we rush for 140 yards+. On top of that, none of the UI linebackers can keep up with our TE’s. I hate to make the statement that ISU wins by a comfortable margin, because by the time I do, they lay an egg, but if the UNI game is any indication, our defense will be tough to score on. The fact it’s in Ames really helps our young QB as well. Really looking forward to it.

I could be way off base and ISU could get absolutely mollywhopped, so looking forward to that too

Reactions: Statefan10

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I would have said Iowa 20 and ISU 10. Now I’m the opposite. Cade being immobile is a huge concern and we can’t run the ball at all. Defense also seemed to have taken a significant step back than what we have seen the last few years. I think it is still a good defense, but not elite like the last couple of years.

I didn’t watch ISU but they handled UNI with ease.
Lol I fully expect him play completely out of his ass.

Reactions: State2015

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
21-17 Iowa but I feel a lot better about our chances than I did before the UNI game.

I think the offensive lIne does us in, with Iowa throwing in some defensive wrestling wrinkles to exploit it and Becht's youth. I think Iowa will be able to make us one-dimensional with Scheelhaase not being seasoned enough to counteract it. I fully anticipate our line to be the weakest unit for either team.

The defense will ball out but McNamara proves to be a huge improvement over his predecessors. I have a sneaky feeling ill-timed penalties and game management play a factor in our demise. On the latter Campbell will waste a TO that comes back to bite him later.

Bright spot is Becht shows poise in the face of adversity and STs show they are for real and prove to be more of a strength than a weakness.

Looking later in the year this game will stand out as one we probably had a better chance of winning later in the year. At the same time it proves to be a developmental one that leads to more conference wins later in the year.

Before UNI I thought this was a 3-5 win team (4-5) until I saw differently. At this moment I think we are closer to a 6-7 win team, with an outside chance at 8. I think we play reasonably well in a loss. And that's okay.

Reactions: bosco

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
17-10 Cyclones, last week was telling considering how bad Utah state is but yet Iowa couldn’t put them away

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron