Iowa Dual (2PM on Sunday)

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
It looked like Hall gassed late against Clark. Could be wrong. But that surprised me.

I don't think he did. Clark was just a beast on top, and has been when the two get together on the mat. Really dumb decision to take down to start the 3rd. Hall would have been in much better position on his feet.

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
The meet ended pretty much as I expected. We are not yet an elite program, but recruiting is looking up. In FB or BB, a 14th ranked team is not that far behind a 2nd ranked team, so a win is always a possibility. In wrestling, with much fewer teams, the difference between 2nd and 14th is huge.

This had to be tough for the kids on the mat. It's not like they weren't trying, but an unranked freshman or sophomore against a highly ranked opponent is in for a very rough time - and in front of a few thousand people.

So, I was not frustrated by losing, and was actually surprised that a few more Iowa wrestlers were not able to get extra points. We are a long way from being in Iowa's league.

What frustrated me was 1) we were terrible on the mat, across all matches combined, I think we barely earned a minute of total riding time, 2) KJ on the sidelines, his yelling was not constructive but more critical and nasty - hardly supportive of his team, and the way he greeted most wrestlers coming off the mat was not a pretty sight to see, 3) our lack of aggressiveness was concerning but when you are outclassed, you tend to be very careful, but perhaps most telling was the match where we got the sole takedown and the Hawk got no takedown but he won 5-2. That one hurt, and finally 4) the terrible service in Hilton. One concession open and the lineup was still 40 ft long when play resumed after the break. That makes us look so bush.

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
Still questioning the decision at 157. Not sure RRS is quite ready to break the line up. Something was off there...

cloneswillwin

Sep 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Have to see yet get Boston in, Moreno 100 percent downing and Harrington maybe we are a different team. I love the remember when crowd. Yeah I remember when Douglass and Cael couldn't get it done either. I remember calling our wresting style the Douglass school of stalling.

KJ earned a couple more years IMO let's see were he takes the real lineup at nationals I would agree if we facepalm like the FB team did make the change

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Disappointing but getting stomped by Iowa isn't any indication of how the season will go. Plenty of time to improve and our team could and probably will look very different come March. Really no point in posting that considering the reasonable wrestling fans are well aware of it and the chicken littles will lose their minds no matter what.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It looked like Hall gassed late against Clark. Could be wrong. But that surprised me.

Hall was gassed. Not saying Clark wasn't good on top, but once the 3rd period started, Hall never really even tried to escape. Along with everyone else by the 3rd period. Only ones that looked to be in ok shape were Dante and Larson. This team needs a new strength and conditioning program.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
The difference is that fans giving up on football kills the athletic budget. Fans giving up on wrestling doesn't really make a difference to all but a small portion of the total fanbase. In the end, you can't make a business case to fire KJ before his contract runs out.

I'd be very surprised if KJ's contract has a "buyout" like football contracts do.

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
The meet ended pretty much as I expected. We are not yet an elite program, but recruiting is looking up. In FB or BB, a 14th ranked team is not that far behind a 2nd ranked team, so a win is always a possibility. In wrestling, with much fewer teams, the difference between 2nd and 14th is huge.

This had to be tough for the kids on the mat. It's not like they weren't trying, but an unranked freshman or sophomore against a highly ranked opponent is in for a very rough time - and in front of a few thousand people.

So, I was not frustrated by losing, and was actually surprised that a few more Iowa wrestlers were not able to get extra points. We are a long way from being in Iowa's league.

What frustrated me was 1) we were terrible on the mat, across all matches combined, I think we barely earned a minute of total riding time, 2) KJ on the sidelines, his yelling was not constructive but more critical and nasty - hardly supportive of his team, and the way he greeted most wrestlers coming off the mat was not a pretty sight to see, 3) our lack of aggressiveness was concerning but when you are outclassed, you tend to be very careful, but perhaps most telling was the match where we got the sole takedown and the Hawk got no takedown but he won 5-2. That one hurt, and finally 4) the terrible service in Hilton. One concession open and the lineup was still 40 ft long when play resumed after the break. That makes us look so bush.

really bothers me. Why would the guys want to fight for him?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't think he did. Clark was just a beast on top, and has been when the two get together on the mat. Really dumb decision to take down to start the 3rd. Hall would have been in much better position on his feet.

I think that was Earl's decision. Heard coaches wanted neutral