Iowa Dual (2PM on Sunday)

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
You have to give the Big Ten credit for their rasslin'. I will give em that. We are fortunate that Okie State and maybe Oklahoma will give us this kind of a drubbing in the Big XII.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Iowa wrestlers are just so much more aggressive. Always attacking from the first second.....always trying to score points in one way or another. IMO, we don't see that in the ISU wrestlers, or they just lack the skills.

Mar 12, 2014
So is Boston done at 125? I was looking forward to that matchup

I like KJ but I hope he doesn't put Boston in at 125#, he can't make the weight, he's outgrown it. Boston probably doesn't get majored by Gilman because he keeps matches close and doesn't open up but a lose is still a lose.

As far as KJ job, that's tough because who's out there that would be a better job? Sometimes, it's about the talent in the room more so than the coaching.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Iowa wrestlers are just so much more aggressive. Always attacking from the first second.....always trying to score points in one way or another. IMO, we don't see that in the ISU wrestlers, or they just lack the skills.

Been that way for as long as I can remember. Here are things they do that we don't:

1. They are very tough on top
2. They always move forward
3. They are tough on the edges
4. They are tough at the ends of periods
5. They win toss up matches
6. They pull off upsets

Summarized into one word: tough

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
hmmmm sounds similar to football discussions.

Sure ... so what's your point? I'm sorry your friend PR got canned, but he was what his record says he was. I think the same about KJ and would not mind seeing him replaced if this year turns out like last. The difference is whether or not the AD cares about this sport.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Sure ... so what's your point? I'm sorry your friend PR got canned, but he was what his record says he was. I think the same about KJ and would not mind seeing him replaced if this year turns out like last. The difference is whether or not the AD cares about this sport.

My point is I had to read about this **** in every football thread for the past two years but yet KJ gets a pass to attain ****** results with a program that has historically been good

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I'm so over Jackson it's not even funny. His teams aren't in shape and gassed by the 3rd. Every year we arent even in contention with Iowa. Been a season ticket holder now for a number of years and tempted to not renew them. Every team that he has put on the mat, are they very rarely the aggressor except if the opponent is a weak one. So freakin annoyed walking out of Hilton, it's not even funny.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Been that way for as long as I can remember. Here are things they do that we don't:

1. They are very tough on top
2. They always move forward
3. They are tough on the edges
4. They are tough at the ends of periods
5. They win toss up matches
6. They pull off upsets

Summarized into one word: tough

Amen to that.

I'd settle for not giving up a point a match alone on riding time. Why the eff we cut people loose only to be taken down and ridden out boggles the mind.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
You're overstating things. Attitudes toward KJ have been mixed for years: some ardent supporters, most various states of lukewarm, and some resolutely negative. One difference is that the latter took the invective to an unacceptable personal level. So far as I can tell, this never happened with PR ... its wasn't until the very very end that even a few started hoping for PR to fail (and that was so he would be replaced). KJ faced that from a bitter few at the very start.

My point is I had to read about this **** in every football thread for the past two years but yet KJ gets a pass to attain ****** results with a program that has historically been good

howellc33

Mar 18, 2012
Britt, IA
I've been been a KJ supporter this whole time, but at some point this program needs to be relevant again. He's had plenty of time to snag recruits-which don't get me wrong he's gotten some quality guys...Now is the time you have to start developing them and putting together team that consistently goes out and looks to WIN. It didn't seem like a team that fought tooth and nail and got carried out on their shields today. Point is, even the most patient of us have to question when enough is enough.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
hmmmm sounds similar to football discussions.

The difference is that fans giving up on football kills the athletic budget. Fans giving up on wrestling doesn't really make a difference to all but a small portion of the total fanbase. In the end, you can't make a business case to fire KJ before his contract runs out.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
I just hate using this dual as a barometer for the program because as long as I can remember we've wrestled pretty terribly against Iowa in dual meets. This goes back to Douglas teams as well, and only didn't seem to show up as much when Iowa had Zaleski at the helm, so it isn't a recent thing.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I have watched ISU wrestling since the mid-60's. Yeah......I'm old. My mother was from Cresco, Iowa........and grew up down the street from Nick. She also baby-sat Gary Kurdelmeier when she was young, and we were friends with his family. For those of you who may not know who he was, he was an All-American wrestler for Iowa, was Iowa's wrestling coach, and hired some guy named Gable as an assistant coach and his eventual replacement when he moved into the position of Assistant AD at Iowa. So.......even though my school did not have wrestling........my mom would always be following both Iowa and ISU wrestling, but especially ISU because she knew Nick. In 1971, I started working at Hilton when it opened, and was on staff there for the next 12 years. My parents loved coming down to ISU wrestling meets, and my mom got a chance to talk to Nick a few times.

Anyway........it is really disappointing that ISU cannot get back to the level they were in the 60's all the way really up to when Cael left. It seemed that ISU was on its way until JP could not come up with the facilities that Penn State promised Cael. I can't blame Cael for leaving, although I am disappointed that coaching at his alma mater could not sway him to stay.

I think KJ is a good guy, and he is determined, but sorry.......I'm just not convinced he is that much of a coach. Other teams (not just Iowa) just seem to have a style, a plan, aggressiveness, toughness that I have not seen in ISU wrestlers the last 10 years or so. I guess since Cael left.....it seems the program just sort of died then.

I haven't followed the sport closely enough to know who might be out there that could bring ISU back to more success, but there must be someone out there. Maybe JP is just not really committed to this sport, or lacks an appreciation for the history of it at ISU. It just seems something is missing.

It seems like with fewer and fewer colleges fielding wrestling teams, there should be higher quality recruits available, unless high school wrestling is disappearing too. That doesn't appear to be the case though, at least not in Iowa.

I just think you either do whatever has to be done to return ISU wrestling to at least close to the levels it was before. At least make your very best effort. If ISU can't do that.......then give it up and bring back baseball or something. (Just kidding)

It's just kind of sad. I can remember an Iowa/ISU match in Hilton back in the 70's. Sold out (didn't have to put up a damned curtain to make it look more full or whatever). Back then, the 10 wrestlers from each school would for a line on either side of the mat facing each other, and were introduced and would shake hands. The PA announcer would cite their current records, their current ranking, and their standing in the previous National tourney. At this particular match........17 or 18 of the wrestlers between the 2 schools were All-Americans from the previous year. The ones that weren't were freshmen if I recall correctly. Now, that was a meet to watch. Honestly, I don't ever remember who won.......it really didn't matter.

Well, I've rambled on and probably bored you all to tears if you read this. I just wish JP could figure out how to get ISU back to that status. Maybe the ISU wrestling community needs to be a little more vocal or insistent or something.

Last edited: