Iowa City Pedestrian hit by car

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Or, in the days when cigarette ads were still a thing: LS/MFT

Lucky Strike / Means Fine Tobacco
You must not be as old as me or you wouldn't have messed this up.

Being bombarded with cigarette commercials as a child and pre-teen has left dozens of cigarette commercial jingles and catch phrases deeply embedded in my brain - wasting valuable space I could be using to remember which Kardashian is which.

"You can take Salem out of the country, but - ding (like your IPhone makes when you're getting a text) you can't take the country out of Salem.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I hope at the first practice together, Hali whips a 100mph pass that hits that dickhead Connie smack dab in face…..Connie doesn’t even have the credentials to coach Lone Tree middle school. How the eff does he get an NBA job???
Smells of kkkirk getting his kids jobs in the NFL they weren’t qualified for either…..
But the Pacers will become elite bounce passers and ref abusers.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I am pretty sure drivers ed taught that pedestrians have the right of way.

In a crosswalk (with walk signal if lit) or generally a parking lot etc.

In WI at least there is or used to be a 'sudden movement of pedestrian' statute meaning the pedestrian can get ticketed if they step into the street at mid-block (outside the crosswalk) and cause a collision/change of speed/direction of a vehicle.

Several years ago someone stepped out and got tagged by a bus and got ticketed along with a hospital stay.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
You must not be as old as me or you wouldn't have messed this up.

Au contraire, the cortex loses accuracy with age. I'd rather fight than switch.

On the other hand, you've been cranky lately, so you can walk just a 1/2 mile for your Camel. Mrs. Dean will have to go a silly millimeter longer.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011

In France, the law states that the driver will be charged if s/he hits a pedestrian in the crosswalk ("entre les clous").

So, most French drivers go fast enough at all times so they can knock people OUT of the crosswalk if needed.

(yeah, old French joke, older than Mean Dean and myself combined)

• Haha
Reactions: aauummm

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Had a couple near misses with runners tonight.
Wear night gear when you run in the dark, folks. Maybe avoid dark colors, too.

Anytime I run or walk when its dark I just assume cars cannot see me and its on me to make sure to avoid them. Obviously it works best for both drivers and pedestrians to be cautious but I figure I'm my only advocate at all times.

cychhosis

May 12, 2006
S.E. Iowa
Au contraire, the cortex loses accuracy with age. I'd rather fight than switch.

On the other hand, you've been cranky lately, so you can walk just a 1/2 mile for your Camel. Mrs. Dean will have to go a silly millimeter longer.
If only I knew where the flavor is!

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Of course they do, but I will defer to the 2 ton piece of metal piloted by a driver of unknown intellect and awareness every single time. Some walkers/bikers don't appear to feel that way.
They don't actually. From Iowa Code

321.328 Crossing at other than crosswalk.
1. Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk
or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway except that cities may restrict such a crossing by ordinance.
2. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead
pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the
roadway.
3. Where traffic-control signals are in operation at any place not an intersection pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

In WI at least there is or used to be a 'sudden movement of pedestrian' statute meaning the pedestrian can get ticketed if they step into the street at mid-block (outside the crosswalk) and cause a collision/change of speed/direction of a vehicle.

Several years ago someone stepped out and got tagged by a bus and got ticketed along with a hospital stay.
As of 18ish months ago this was still the case. An Uber driver in La Crosse hit a drunk person who ran into the street outside of a crosswalk and the pedestrian was charged. In downtown La Crosse around bar time people scurry out into the street between parked cars without a second thought towards traffic. It's shocking to me that more people aren't hit, tbh.

Similarly, I know someone who hit a cyclist and the cyclist was found at fault for not obeying traffic laws.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
As of 18ish months ago this was still the case. An Uber driver in La Crosse hit a drunk person who ran into the street outside of a crosswalk and the pedestrian was charged. In downtown La Crosse around bar time people scurry out into the street between parked cars without a second thought towards traffic. It's shocking to me that more people aren't hit, tbh.

Similarly, I know someone who hit a cyclist and the cyclist was found at fault for not obeying traffic laws.
I haven't driven on campus while students were around in a while, but students use to think they have the right of way regardless of where they were crossing. They just step right out in front of moving vehicles and expect them to stop. I damn near killed a guy when I was a lab TA and I was driving a 15 passenger van full of students for a field work lab. I had to slam on the brakes and everyone inside went flying. Good times!

• Winner
Reactions: ScottyP

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
One of the problems is the difference between state laws. I remember going to Boston several years ago and being amazed at how many people just stepped right in front of moving traffic, albeit slow-moving traffic. Apparently, they had very strong pedestrian-oriented laws. I was from Chicago where I adhered to "let the walker beware." If these people from Boston came to Chicago, they would get mowed over.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Of course they do, but I will defer to the 2 ton piece of metal piloted by a driver of unknown intellect and awareness every single time. Some walkers/bikers don't appear to feel that way.

The most dangerous part of my 21 miles bike ride yesterday was the trail crossing at a 4-way stop 1/2 from my house on my return. When it's a busy time of day, especially evening commute time, it's chaos. When it's not busy, it's cars just running the signs after slowing some. It's marked as a regional trail crossing with big ass bright green signs but it's still a cross at your own risk for bikes or pedestrians. It's a miracle no one has been killed or badly injured there. Left turning vehicle almost got me last year while I was in the crosswalk. Had to put the bike down to avoid getting run over.

Same thing for when I walk to the park there and have to cross this same intersection. DANGER. Mpls park police and Mpls police ignore it as do the neborboring suburb police (it's technically in my suburb but a Mpls Parkway intersection so each "side" feels it's the others responsibility.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
They don't actually. From Iowa Code

321.328 Crossing at other than crosswalk.
1. Every pedestrian crossing a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk
or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway except that cities may restrict such a crossing by ordinance.
2. Any pedestrian crossing a roadway at a point where a pedestrian tunnel or overhead
pedestrian crossing has been provided shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the
roadway.
3. Where traffic-control signals are in operation at any place not an intersection pedestrians shall not cross at any place except in a marked crosswalk.
You're not quite reading that correctly. Pedestrians have the right of way in marked crossings and unmarked crossings at intersections (i.e. where sidewalk ramps are). Outside those areas, vehicles have the ROW.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
You're not quite reading that correctly. Pedestrians have the right of way in marked crossings and unmarked crossings at intersections (i.e. where sidewalk ramps are). Outside those areas, vehicles have the ROW.
Why do you think I read it incorrectly? I was responding to Curt and Prides comments suggesting that pedestrians always have right way, which they don't. Now perhaps I misinterpreted their comments, but I understood the rule just fine.

• Agree
Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
I didn't take it that he read it wrong he was responding to a post that made it seem that pedestrians always have the right of way.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron