Intermittent Fasting

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I was about 40lbs more than I want to be so 5 weeks ago I thought I'd give it a shot. I know in the end it's all about calories in/calories out but IF isn't as hard as I thought it would be. I decide to try out 20:4. The weekdays are pretty easy but the weekends are a little more challenging(football season) so I've went to 18:6 on Saturdays. The time I eat is between 4-8pm. During fasting I only drink water and coffee. Giving up around 48 ounces of Diet Mountain Dew during the day has probably been the toughest part. So far I've lost about 12lbs.

Anyone else try this?
Lost 20 lbs in 6 months (195-175). One of the keys is to break the fasting every few weeks to reset your metabulism. Easy diet, feel great.

Cystheman

May 3, 2007
I just skip breakfast and only eat lunch and supper. Working out with a mix of weights and cardio has done wonders with dropping weight and keeping it off.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Think I am going to give this a go of it and be more intentional about being active.

Reactions: Dandy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Would recommend reading about the principles of Intuitive Eating rather than a diet.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
For weight loss and general fitness, the key is finding a diet and workout plan that works for you. We're all different. But the general rule of eating less and exercising more seems to work.

IF does have the potential added benefit of extending longevity. There is plenty of data in lower organisms showing that IF and/or caloric restriction extends lifespan. We don't know if this translates to humans yet or what the best plan is for longevity, but it seems likely at this point that it will at least partially apply to humans.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
This is an informative thread for me. I've lost 40 lbs since April of this year through the Farrell's program. I lost 21 during the 10 week session, but i've dropped another 20 since then.

People at the gym hate me for saying this, but I can't stop losing weight. I was very regimented with my diet for the first 4 months I was doing Farrell's (no bread/pasta/rice/potatoes/sweets) and lost the weight pretty fast. I ate around 1800 calories a day. My body was burning that just being alive, so add to it the 500-800 calories I'd burn during a given farrell's workout and I can understand how I lost the weight.

However, even since then, I've opened my diet back up and I'm still losing weight. I allow myself sweets on occasion as well as the occasional diet pop and a (rare) piece of bread. I'm consuming around 2200 calories a day (2500 on many days) and I'm still dropping weight. I honestly want to start putting some muscle on, but I can't seem to figure out an equation that puts weight on.

Any tips from you folks? Just up the calories through lean proteins?

My typical day is:

5am - Protein balls (oatmeal/flax/protein powder/PB)
7am - Protein shake
9am - Strawberries, yogurt, and granola
11:30a - Lunch (usually turkey chili or some high protein meal)
2:30pm - Protein bar (usually quest brand)
6pm - Dinner

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
This is an informative thread for me. I've lost 40 lbs since April of this year through the Farrell's program. I lost 21 during the 10 week session, but i've dropped another 20 since then.

People at the gym hate me for saying this, but I can't stop losing weight. I was very regimented with my diet for the first 4 months I was doing Farrell's (no bread/pasta/rice/potatoes/sweets) and lost the weight pretty fast. I ate around 1800 calories a day. My body was burning that just being alive, so add to it the 500-800 calories I'd burn during a given farrell's workout and I can understand how I lost the weight.

However, even since then, I've opened my diet back up and I'm still losing weight. I allow myself sweets on occasion as well as the occasional diet pop and a (rare) piece of bread. I'm consuming around 2200 calories a day (2500 on many days) and I'm still dropping weight. I honestly want to start putting some muscle on, but I can't seem to figure out an equation that puts weight on.

My typical day is:

7am - Protein shake
6pm - Dinner

You need carbs to build muscle. Cutting carbs out completely is great for shedding fat and weight, but it will keep you from putting muscle on. I would add 100g of carbs to what you're currently eating. That's not a lot, but should add some easy calories. Just make sure the carbs are coming from the right sources: sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, brown rice, bananas, etc. and not sugar.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015

My typical day is:

7am - Protein shake
6pm - Dinner
Seems like you are getting enough protein so adding more protein won't really help you put on weight. Slowly add in some carbs and fats until you get to a point that you are adding weight. Adding weight slowly will lifting means you are putting on a better muscle to fat ratio. You can only build muscle so quickly so if you go to overboard with your calories you will just be adding fat.

If you have trouble eating more than you currently are throw in some peanut butter with your protein shake. Nice and high calorie.

• Informative
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Seems like you are getting enough protein so adding more protein won't really help you put on weight. Slowly add in some carbs and fats until you get to a point that you are adding weight. Adding weight slowly will lifting means you are putting on a better muscle to fat ratio. You can only build muscle so quickly so if you go to overboard with your calories you will just be adding fat.

If you have trouble eating more than you currently are throw in some peanut butter with your protein shake. Nice and high calorie.

Thanks! I forgot to mention in my original post that I went from 26% body fat down to 9%. So, there's not much fat left to lose which is why I'm continually surprised and a little concerned I'll burn off muscle.

Thanks for the info on the carbs. I will start adding in some healthy carbs to my diet. I appreciate the tip on PB as well. I've been adding a granny smith apple with some chunky PB to my snack regimen so I'll keep doing that.

Reactions: CloniesForLife

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I know it sounds crazy and maybe it's in my head but I'm really not anymore hungry now than I was before doing 20:4. My typical day before

5am Breakfast bar
6am Diet Mountain Dew
8am Water
11am Bruegers bagel or Subway 6" sub
3pm Snack
6pm Dinner

Now
6am-11am Coffee
11am-2pm Water
3:30 Large snack (Cheese and Nuts)
6pm Dinner

The truth is that 2 things kill me. Weekends and beer. I usually have 1 beer on Thursday, 3 or 4 on Friday, and 3 or 4 on Saturday. If the average beer I drink is 200 calories, that's 1,500+ calories. Then on the weekends we'll eat out for dinner at least one night and usually go crazy.
I should try this.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I go with intermittent fasting on weekdays and kind of let things go over the weekend.
M-F I wont eat until noon. I will generally bring an apple and banana to work, only drink coffee/water. Some days I wont eat at all until I get home. Then I eat whatever for dinner and dont eat past 8pm.
I spend a lot of time on my feet at work and lift weights at home 2-4 days a week. I could stand to lose another 10 pounds but it would mean limiting the utter debauchery on weekends.

Reactions: Dandy

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I guess I do this without planning to. Never been a breakfast guy, prefer sleeping until I have just enough time to shower and go to work. Once my second kid was born, I started just skipping lunch to work my time straight and get off earlier.

Now on 3 weekdays I'm a 23.5:.5 guy, one huge meal and that's it (also known as the Vampire diet). The other two I'll eat a meal after work around 5PM and one around 8:30PM. Weekends I eat lunch and dinner.

Ben4Cy

Aug 28, 2016
You need carbs to build muscle. Cutting carbs out completely is great for shedding fat and weight, but it will keep you from putting muscle on. I would add 100g of carbs to what you're currently eating. That's not a lot, but should add some easy calories. Just make sure the carbs are coming from the right sources: sweet potatoes, whole grain bread, brown rice, bananas, etc. and not sugar.

I disagree and don't think eating carbs is needed to gain muscle. I'm not a doctor so I am going to refrain from saying you're wrong.

It's about protein. Right now I am currently 3.5 weeks into a weight lifting/dietary intervention where I don't eat carbs multiple days a week. I eat red meat, eggs and occasionally I will mix in some greens. Maybe 1 meal a week if that with a small salad or green beans. I've gotten stronger - I've certainly gotten leaner. But my weight loss isn't as radical as you might think. In fact it's been maybe 8 pounds in 25 days. My lifts have all increased as well to reaffirm my gaining muscle getting stronger. Most days I eat two 8oz ribeye steaks in the AM around 6 after my workout. I eat two more steaks at night either strips (with butter) or more ribeyes. Only season I use if any is salt out of necessity. I only drink water and if I do out vodka club soda.

I plan to continue doing this diet the rest of the year. It's nice eating however much I want and whenever I want. It just works for me and I feel fantastic. I am interested in any and all diets though because its fascinating to see people achieve results on keto or even vegan diets. All diets have holes in them.

To relate back to the topic I do intermittent fast because I don't always have a steak in my pocket or no carb options hanging around (Sting cheese here and there maybe) I feel great and can see signs of getting to where I want to be just after 3.5 weeks.

I found this video to help me in the early stages of my diet and why I started it. It sort of dumbs it down for me to understand and why I chose to do this.

• Agree
Reactions: capitalcityguy

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Thanks! I forgot to mention in my original post that I went from 26% body fat down to 9%. So, there's not much fat left to lose which is why I'm continually surprised and a little concerned I'll burn off muscle.

Thanks for the info on the carbs. I will start adding in some healthy carbs to my diet. I appreciate the tip on PB as well. I've been adding a granny smith apple with some chunky PB to my snack regimen so I'll keep doing that.
I'm no expert by any means but sounds like you're doing a lot of the right things. At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to consistency and endurance (with both diet and exercise). That's the most important.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I always find nutrition and health to be fascinating because there are so many schools of thought (often contradictory) and people have success with all of them.

• Agree
Reactions: Bigman38

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

ahhh....you might want to get a hold of Dr Shawn Baker and let him know. He is 100% Carnivore....zero carbs...

D8EVE-IUYAEbGK8.jpg