Incoming Texas bball recruit allegedly took money

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Something I read said the recruit knew this guy since he was 9, so they'll likely get away with the preexisting relationship defense.
Said he developed a relationship with him and several other kids that were involved in some kind of mentorship program and he has continued to help all the kids in the program including Bamba. certainly worth looking into but won't see he is guilty just because of what the brother says. Also, by the time NCAA determines anything the kid will be long gone.

• Agree
Reactions: jbindm

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Said he developed a relationship with him and several other kids that were involved in some kind of mentorship program and he has continued to help all the kids in the program including Bamba. certainly worth looking into but won't see he is guilty just because of what the brother says. Also, by the time NCAA determines anything the kid will be long gone.

The older brother apparently has some legal issues. He could just be lashing out in some weird family dispute we don't know about.

Either way, like you said, the kid will be gone before anything could or would come of this.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If the relationship - no matter how long ago it was established - is based on the kid's athletic endeavors it shouldn't qualify under the pre-existing relationship exemption. I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm saying it shouldn't. So many athletes are targeted very early in their lives as having pro-potential and they start getting leeches when they are still young kids.

• Friendly
Reactions: chiroclone88

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Nothing to see here folks. It's Texas. Not Texas Tech. The NCAA will make him payback the money once he turns pro and declare him eligible. I remember a few years ago Kansas had a player named Jackson. He took 6k. They made him return the money, suspended him like 3 games and let him play. A few years earlier CJ Bruton took $500 and the NCAA declared him ineligible for life. In other words CJ should have commited to Kansas and not ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: ISC

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Nothing to see here folks. It's Texas. Not Texas Tech. The NCAA will make him payback the money once he turns pro and declare him eligible. I remember a few years ago Kansas had a player named Jackson. He took 6k. They made him return the money, suspended him like 3 games and let him play. A few years earlier CJ Bruton took $500 and the NCAA declared him ineligible for life. In other words CJ should have commited to Kansas and not ISU.
Bruton didn't accept any money if I remember correctly but the fact that teammates got paid made him a professional in the NCAA's eyes. They never did address the fact that other players in the very same league went on to play NCAA basketball such as Luc Longley (New Mexico) and Axel Dench (Gonzaga).

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
" But in late April, the NCAA declared him ineligible. Bruton had been paid $9,400 to play in the Australian league in 1994."

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1997/NCAA-denies-Bruton-appeal/id-8a47e85266a72f5d28444e0a746e3926

clone34

Mar 29, 2009
CJ got $9400 This was supposed to cover his room and board and meals. Instead of the league providing room and board they had the players pay it. It was Easier for the team and also a good life experience for the players learning how to balance money.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron