In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

D

Deleted member 8507

Easily the first one that came to my mind was DaVinci's. Those hot subs... wow!

Others I loved....

Lost and Found (upstairs above Cy's Roost)- best chill place to go and have a cold beer and listen to some great music.

Peoples- no explanation.

Happy Joe's- we'd always head down there for the buffet whatever night that was?

Duggan's Deli- great sandwiches and great live music too.

Lukalan's (no idea how it was spelled?)- downtown Ames Italian restaurant I believe. Only actually ate there once- we always went there for fishbowls on Fridays.

Best times of my life.... hands down. Miss it so much.
It was Lucalan's. Nicer Italian that was upstairs next to the little park downtown and yes they had Friday deals. I did maintenance for them one of my senior years.

• Informative
Reactions: StClone

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I had forgot about it but Ihop was open in the early 80's, but I'm pretty sure it was gone by the time I graduated.

Bars that are long gone Thumbs Up, The Billboard, The Hallway, top of the town, Granddaddy's, That Place (peanut shells all over the floor) Virginia City, Mississippi Queen/ the Brewery(?). Didn't include Cave Inn and the Library because the still exist but have new names Sips(?) and can't remember but somebody mentioned it earlier up thread right below pizza pit.

Reactions: clydeclone

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Always busy but you get seated pretty quickly in my experience.

Yes, we were amazed at how fast we got seated and our food. The staff is very efficient and friendly. I have not gone there for quite a while, so we were a little stunned at how fast everything went.

arobb

Jan 4, 2014
Remember when McDonald's was on Welch? They had Cyclone Fries which was literally just a bag of fries. It was so greasy and delicious.
I definitely remember this. They were $1 a bag and you could just walk up to the drive thru window to order them after the bars closed. They were so salty that it would almost burn when you ate them. They sure hit the spot after a bunch of dollar pitchers of stale beer at Tazzles though.

• Agree
Reactions: Cybball37

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Easily the first one that came to my mind was DaVinci's. Those hot subs... wow!

Others I loved....

Lost and Found (upstairs above Cy's Roost)- best chill place to go and have a cold beer and listen to some great music.

Peoples- no explanation.

Happy Joe's- we'd always head down there for the buffet whatever night that was?

Duggan's Deli- great sandwiches and great live music too.

Lukalan's (no idea how it was spelled?)- downtown Ames Italian restaurant I believe. Only actually ate there once- we always went there for fishbowls on Fridays.

Best times of my life.... hands down. Miss it so much.

Great list. I think my wife and I actually took a bartending class at Lucalans.

I'll add Ruttles, Little Taipei, and DoBiz, which were already mentioned.

As far as chain restaurants, I spent a lot of time at the Burger King that was by Peoples and the old movie theater. Two burgers, two fries, two bucks. And bottomless pop. I studied a lot in there and took in copious amounts of caffeine in the process.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
The Pizza House and DoBiz Cookies

You can get similar pizza a Paglia's Pizza in Grinnell (originally Pizza House was Paglia's Brothers Pizza (or something like that) and DoBiz dough and make the cookies yourself, but it is not the same!

I used to get free Pizza House pizza each Sunday night as payment for running the "Free Friday Flicks" on campus back in 1982-1985 time frame....
omg,
The Pizza House - forgot all about that place. Home of the bottomless drink, IIRC. The drinks were soda pop!

D

Deleted member 8507

Great list. I think my wife and I actually took a bartending class at Lucalans.

I'll add Ruttles, Little Taipei, and DoBiz, which were already mentioned.

As far as chain restaurants, I spent a lot of time at the Burger King that was by Peoples and the old movie theater. Two burgers, two fries, two bucks. And bottomless pop. I studied a lot in there and took in copious amounts of caffeine in the process.
There was a Taco Bell catty-corner from Clyde Williams Field (across LWay). They would have 5 hard tacos for $1 specials. Good grub, especially after drinking.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
That was "The Big Mother"
Roast Beef
Turkey
Swiss
Thousand Island dressing

Another oldie was Sambo's on Lincolnway about where the old Long John Silvers was.

Edit: Forgot The Hallway at North Grand mall. Twofers and Zombies
I remember Sambo's. Went there with my folks at orientation, I believe. But I thought it used to be at where some Chinese restaurant is now. ?????

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Minksy's Pizza. Still get some when go to KC now.
The Green Pepper
Pizza House
Dugan's Deli
IHOP on Welch
Boyd's Ice cream
Mr Steak on the west side of town. Went there about every time my folks visited.
Torks Pub
Cave Inn

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I havent been to Ames for about 8 years and possibly longer when thinking about the last time I was on Welch Ave.. so... is Welch Ave no longer where people go to wander from bar to bar in a drunken stupor? Does the Superdog guy still exist? I did a walking tour on Google Maps as well and I counted 4 or 5 bars pretty much in two brick buildings across from each other where there use to be at least 8 from scattered across the block.
Now there's a bead store and Hookah lounge and building that temporarily housed Dangerous Curves is boarded up? Luckily Cafe B survives!

Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There used to be a Dairy Queen on Welch that was closed during the winter, right?
Yes, and the lady was extremely serious about people parking in front or out back.
There was also one where Papa Murphy's is before they built a new one.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There used to be a bar in Mothers that was owned by a grad student or prof. Pretty mellow atmosphere, candles on tables. Easy to get a drink at 19 years old.
I think they used to even have belly dancers, poetry slams, etc.