In Memoriam: Ames Business/Restaurants

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I had a buddy who would order 10 cheeseburgers and a bag of Cy Fries before going out Saturday Night. He'd eat 4 or 5 cheeseburgers and the bag of Fries, drink a 30 of Stones or Natty, and then polish off the rest. He gained a few pounds in college.

Dear god. I thought I ate a lot in college. Makes eating a $5 medium from Dominos seem tame.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And he never really got fat. Just thicker. I mean he gained weight, a lot of it, but it wasn't like he got huge.

I didn't get too big until after I graduated and got a fun desk job! Though I've never been skinny.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Easily the first one that came to my mind was DaVinci's. Those hot subs... wow!

Others I loved....

Lost and Found (upstairs above Cy's Roost)- best chill place to go and have a cold beer and listen to some great music.

Peoples- no explanation.

Happy Joe's- we'd always head down there for the buffet whatever night that was?

Duggan's Deli- great sandwiches and great live music too.

Lukalan's (no idea how it was spelled?)- downtown Ames Italian restaurant I believe. Only actually ate there once- we always went there for fishbowls on Fridays.

Best times of my life.... hands down. Miss it so much.

83cy

May 14, 2006
Some great memories here.

- Taking girlfriends to Boyds
- Is Aunt Maudes still there.
- There was a Brown Bottle in Marshalltown also.
- Grandaddies when the wrestlers came in you knew shet was going to happen.
- Fox was good for date night.
- Duggens Deli was the first bar I ever went into in Ames, I was 17, I know it was a bar/deli but I got served and played Donkey Kong.
- Head Shop above the Cave Inn for haircuts.
- Hallway at the Mall had twofers on Zombies Tuesday nights, not sure how I got home.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoxsterCy

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Lost and Found lounge
Cave inn
Thumbs Up
Top of the Town
Fox Lounge
Fieldhouse (became Beemers, which is gone, too)
Donutland
The Cave Inn (we called it the Cavo Disco) was gross yet great. I always got PO'd at Beemers/Beamers.
Loved the other places.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Some great memories here.

- Taking girlfriends to Boyds
- Is Aunt Maudes still there.
- There was a Brown Bottle in Marshalltown also.
- Grandaddies when the wrestlers came in you knew shet was going to happen.
- Fox was good for date night.
- Duggens Deli was the first bar I ever went into in Ames, I was 17, I know it was a bar/deli but I got served and played Donkey Kong.
- Head Shop above the Cave Inn for haircuts.
- Hallway at the Mall had twofers on Zombies Tuesday nights, not sure how I got home.
I remember the Head Shop. I also went to the Mane Event by Westgate for haircuts. Both are gone. So is my hair.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Easily the first one that came to my mind was DaVinci's. Those hot subs... wow!

Others I loved....

Lost and Found (upstairs above Cy's Roost)- best chill place to go and have a cold beer and listen to some great music.

Peoples- no explanation.

Happy Joe's- we'd always head down there for the buffet whatever night that was?

Duggan's Deli- great sandwiches and great live music too.

Lukalan's (no idea how it was spelled?)- downtown Ames Italian restaurant I believe. Only actually ate there once- we always went there for fishbowls on Fridays.

Best times of my life.... hands down. Miss it so much.
Totally agree! Those were all great places when I was in school.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Boyd's Ice cream shop
Ruttles
the truckstop out on hwy 30, late nite chili & cinnamon rolls, or breakfast.
Dugan's deli northwest of campus

Boyd’s and Dugan’s for sure.

Really miss the IHOP on Welch. Moar coffee! Walk down from Towers and do some work.

Minsky’s Pizza
Thumbs Up
Cave Inn
Brown Bottle
Other Place

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Why can't we have a sit down smoke-filled slightly greasy BBQ in Ames!? Not a Hickory Park but a place like the old Hog Stop in Council Bluffs. (Some hated that place an I loved it).

In KC go to LC's BBQ kind of a rough looking area of town but it is exactly what you are describing they have my favorite Baked/Bbq beans of any place I've been. I've only been there 3 times but they are consistent and good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
That was "The Big Mother"
Roast Beef
Turkey
Swiss
Thousand Island dressing

Another oldie was Sambo's on Lincolnway about where the old Long John Silvers was.

Edit: Forgot The Hallway at North Grand mall. Twofers and Zombies

Friends of mine knew the bartenders at the hallway too many Tequila Tues as a freshman almost got me but I survived.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
I was in Ames yesterday to go through the butterfly garden and stopped at Hickory park for lunch around 1. It was crazy busy. Got the pulled pork sandwich and fries for $5.75. Way too much to eat and pretty good. Chocolate malt made the bill a little higher
Always busy but you get seated pretty quickly in my experience.

Spam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 21, 2008
Bali Satay. Home Team. And this thread is the first time I am learning that Chinese Home Style has closed. Devastating.