If you want to watch the OU Presser....

DoJO

Mar 2, 2010
Johnston
"working with partners on their own institutional network" "we will probably be the next institution with our own network"

pretty clear there is NOT going to be a Big 12 network. I wonder what OU will ***** out for? $6 mil, $8mill?

denmyster

Apr 24, 2009
So why the hell did they appoint the idiot from Mizzou to be the head of the expansion committee?! It doesn't make sense.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
OU wants the = revenue sharing to be phased in over time rather than an instant. They are willing to "make a financial contribution" to the conference members (ie. possibly lower TV revenue).

However, phasing it in would minimize their "loss" especially if it lines up with the negotiation with ESPN.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Deaton is the chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors, so it would make sense that he's part of the expansion committee.

Quit freaking out about Mizzou. They are 100% locked in until at least 2017.

Stumpy

Apr 10, 2006
Tucson, AZ
Deaton is the chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors, so it would make sense that he's part of the expansion committee.

Quit freaking out about Mizzou. They are 100% locked in until at least 2017.

And by that time we've re-upped the first tier rights, which hopefully provides enough incentive to stay in the conference.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
And by that time we've re-upped the first tier rights, which hopefully provides enough incentive to stay in the conference.

And hopefully transitioned into an equal revenue sharing model. Or at least more equal than it is now.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, I think the lack of specifically addressing the SEC "rumor" is being way overblown. Talking about it now would be like talking about your mistress at your own wedding. It was their out when it looked the Big 12 would implode, but now it's not, so Missouri stays. End of story for the near term.

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
And hopefully transitioned into an equal revenue sharing model. Or at least more equal than it is now.

NO, EQUAL, not more equal.

This league DOES NOT BEGIN TO BE STABLE without being equal. you want people to take us seriously (ia state), make our own conference members respect us, EQUAL EQUAL EQUAL.

Last year I was a ***** and said more equal, after this fiasco, equal or get screwed later.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
Wait. Someone explain the 6 year grant of rights to me. I'm not quite grasping this concept, apparently. This is an exit penalty of sorts?

I believe so. It would mean the B12 would own their television rights, I think. They couldn't go anywhere because the B12 would just keep all their TV money if they did.

Correct me if I am wrong, but thats what I think it means.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I believe so. It would mean the B12 would own their television rights, I think. They couldn't go anywhere because the B12 would just keep all their TV money if they did.

Correct me if I am wrong, but thats what I think it means.

Correct..even if they left and the B12 would get their TV money from their new conference as well. If it gets signed...no one is going anywhere.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
They are replaceable in a sense, but hopefully this is more about keeping the only remaining lever on Texas - they can't afford the buy out and lawsuit
I agree with this. A Mizzou departure does not doom the league. As long as OU and T are on board everything is unicorns and glitter.

psychlone99

Apr 6, 2006
psychlone99.wordpress.com
Correct..even if they left and the B12 would get their TV money from their new conference as well. If it gets signed...no one is going anywhere.
Are we sure we're interpreting the 6 years correctly? Does that mean 6 years from a set date (today, for example)? Or is it six years following the departure date of any school from the league? The latter obviously has more teeth than the former. Infinitely more teeth.

H

Hugs4ISU

I have an idea for the "committee on stability". Move the conference headquarters to Oklahoma City.

The Big 8 HQ used to be in Kansas City, and I'd like it to be moved there, but that would likely alienate the remaining Texas schools too much. If we want stability, we need to take them into consideration, also. At the same time, the HQ does need to be moved a bit further north, as the current situation in Dallas caters to the Texas schools WAY too much. So, move it to Oklahoma City. It would not be in Texas any more, so it wouldn't cater to the Texas schools, and would be a bit closer to the northern schools.

Last edited by a moderator:

Help Support Us

Become a patron