If you want to watch the OU Presser....

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Are we sure we're interpreting the 6 years correctly? Does that mean 6 years from a set date (today, for example)? Or is it six years following the departure date of any school from the league? The latter obviously has more teeth than the former. Infinitely more teeth.

they still have to vote/sign off on this. just said that they have discussed it.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
WAIT a MINUTE! I was just doing dishes and this occured to me: Was Bob Stoops wearing a PURPLE suite?!? Or is my short-term memory just making that up?

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
If equal revenue sharing does not happen instantly then **** this conference. tier 1 and tier 2 should be equal!! will be freakin ****** if not and I am sure I will not be the only one.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Deaton is the chair of the Big 12 Board of Directors, so it would make sense that he's part of the expansion committee.

Quit freaking out about Mizzou. They are 100% locked in until at least 2017.

Yes, Deaton can't say yes or no to the SEC rumor because by doing it he acknowledges the fact that the rumor is real. By basically saying no comment keeps it what it was just a rumor.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have an idea for the "committee on stability". Move the conference headquarters to Oklahoma City.

The Big 8 HQ used to be in Kansas City, and I'd like it to be moved there, but that would likely alienate the remaining Texas schools too much. If we want stability, we need to take them into consideration, also. At the same time, the HQ does need to be moved a bit further north, as the current situation in Dallas caters to the Texas schools WAY too much. So, move it to Oklahoma City. It would not be in Texas any more, so it wouldn't cater to the Texas schools, and would be a bit closer to the northern schools.

I think you have something there.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
Wait. Someone explain the 6 year grant of rights to me. I'm not quite grasping this concept, apparently. This is an exit penalty of sorts?

Each school will give up it's Tier 1 & Tier 2 TV rights for 6 years. If a a school leaves during that six year time period, the conference keeps their media rights (their ability to be on TV). As has been pointed out on twitter, it's more ironclad than exit fees & it's the same thing the Big 10 & SEC do. What Pete Thamel has been reporting is that the schools have been talking about this, but the presidents & AD's still need to vote on it, so it's not done yet.

Last edited:

Rickybaby

Apr 15, 2006
You know, I'm wondering if this will just cause teams to bail before this takes effect. MU comes to mind and frankly if ISU bolted to the B1G I would be loving it. If this 6 year deal thing goes thru UT and OU will be locked and so will us. Add BYU with their own network and you 3 haves and a bunch of have nots; and the have nots who couldn't leave if there lives depended on it. Frankly after all the **** over the last few weeks I don't trust any of them. None of the forgotten 5 were causing any trouble. UT and LHN, ATM, OU and even Nebraska. The haves are the ones causing all this and now OU will just be more powerful with their network and now add BYU and who knows what that will bring.

Maybe I'm just skittish but being locked into a binding agreement with these A-holes does not inspire confidence.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
OU: We want Equal Revenue Sharing, Rules for the Longhorn Network and you to play nice
Texas: really? Are you sure you want to give up some of your money, oh and by the way - how about you just get a network going too - I know some guys at ESPN
OU: OK, what I meant to say is Equal revenue sharing over time, when can we get this network thing started? How much You think I can get bro?
Texas: A lot more than everyone else but me
OU: OK, sounds good. By the way we were just kidding on all the demands, ISU and Baylor made us do it.