I35 U.S. 30 ramp work

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
But more importantly, these projects are programmed 3-5 years in advance. The bridges are inspected every couple of years and determinations for repairs are made based on that. People think the IDOT gets handed $100 million on January 1st and they just go through the list and pick the things they want to get done that year. People could learn a lot if they would google: Project Development.
Agree with the project development comment. Here's the IDOT Bridges and Structures Bureau website. For those interested in Bridge Project Development just scroll down the page and click on "Project Development Process Manual".

Iowa DOT Bridges and Structures Bureau

The first big hurtle for any project is to make it into the DOT's five-year plan. Here's the link to the Program Management Bureau and an interactive map of all of the DOT projects in the five-year plan.

IDOT Five-Year Plan for projects

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Most state and local governments were in financial crisis during the pandemic. Also you don't just start one of these projects at the drop of a hat. You have to get it on a budget, create a design and construction documents, go out to bid, award the bid, get submittals from the winning bidder, procure materials, and mobilize before you can even start construction. Even if they had the money in 2020 by the time they knew the pandemic was going to close everything down there wouldn't have been time to go through all of that process and have construction completed before winter of 2020/21.

So much this. We somewhat "fast-tracked" the upgrading of a 1/4 mile of a gravel road to paved. We started planning this 2 years ago, and just started construction a week ago. I think most people would be shocked at how much work goes on before a shovel even touches the ground.

Reactions: Aclone

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
IDOT plans are in the works for years before they are the bids are let, so why wasn't this done at the time of the flyover?

ajspatio19

Jun 9, 2020
Ankeny
Ahh, I didn't detect the sarcasm correctly. My civil engineering experience would agree with your civil engineering experience and the heavy civil contractor in me agrees with both of us..
I'm glad our civil engineering experiences can agree! This makes me wonder though, does construction take so long because all of the engineers are on CF during the day? ;)

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
IDOT plans are in the works for years before they are the bids are let, so why wasn't this done at the time of the flyover?
Perhaps they waited for the flyover to be completed so that the lane and ramp closures would have a bit less impact to traffic through that interchange. Besides, they have a limited amount of resources. They also have to play the game of making sure each area of the state is seeing some progress and it doesn't appear that all of the upgrades are happening in a favored area (like where the DOT headquarters are located).

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Probably because it would of shut down NB 35 traffic from getting to WB 30. That would be a nightmare of a detour with the amount of traffic that takes that route each day.

Reactions: MustardTiger

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
#1 The budget isn't unlimited.
#2 There's a point at which too much work is going to require complete shutdown...which that stretch of road is not well suited for.

• Agree
Reactions: MustardTiger

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I know that they must be magicians, because they tried to make water run uphill on my farm,

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Perhaps they waited for the flyover to be completed so that the lane and ramp closures would have a bit less impact to traffic through that interchange. Besides, they have a limited amount of resources. They also have to play the game of making sure each area of the state is seeing some progress and it doesn't appear that all of the upgrades are happening in a favored area (like where the DOT headquarters are located).

Also, remember that the flyover project took longer than expected.

Cdiedrick

Jun 26, 2014
Looks like gameday travel could be a nightmare this fall.

Meh, I come in on 17 from the north‍♂️

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron