I never call out the refs

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Big 12 refs. The lead official has been to Ames countless times and has called a fair game. Tonight the refs put up more of a fight than the Huskies.

I think he called Dan McCarney's last game too, might've even been the one to call the infamous holding against Mizzou at the end.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
1st interference call on Reeves - I would say it was uncatchable.
late hit on Jantz. absolutely no excuse not to see that.
intentional grounding late. not called.

Those were the most glaring. other interference as earlier posts suggest were hand-fighting. if you're going to call them on one team, call them on the other team too.

zdorr40

Apr 3, 2006
Des Moines
Visit site
How in the hell did their QB not get called for intentional grounding near the end of the game when I think pat neal had him sacked and he practically spiked the ball. It nearly went backwards for a fumble too.

I could not believe that!!

This. Also, that horse-collar tackle they waved off. Atrocious.

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
we should get the names of these refs and complain about them to the big 12 commissioner.that was the poorest job of reffing i have ever seen. an iowa high
school ref could have done a better job and i have reffed for 30 years until i had a stroke 13 years ago,...

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The last two games we have managed to beat teams that apparently play FLAWLESS penalty free football.

Can you remember a two game stretch where an opponent didn't get called for holding at all?

Of course both of these teams held, both of them had late hits, UConn had numerous intentional grounding calls, UConn had uncalled PI. WTF?

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
The head referee was Tom Walker...from Nebraska. He has been a thorn in our side for a lot of games.

photomuse

Nov 14, 2006
I second the intentional grounding...throwing it into the ground inside the box while being brought down...that is so obvious...its like they were paralyzed in deciding if it was a fumble or forward motion...but missed the next logical conclusion forward motion = intentional grounding. We were good to hold on 3 and 2 and 4th and 2, but it should have been like 3rd and 10.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Money was lucky not to have that first touchdown taken away. That was close to a taunt. Overall though money has really come through the last two games.

That TD should have been called back. The rule states taunting before you are in the end zone..it should have been automatic. You can't put the ball in the defenders face. He/We got lucky.

That said, yeah, refs were terrible.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Horrible horrible officiating. Worst I have seen in a very long time.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
I have no problem with lots of penalties, but call it both ways. If that was a late hit, obviously there was one on jantz. I watched the game with 1 husker fan, and 1 hawkeye fan. Both were cheering hard for ISU, and both said, " wow you are getting jobbed, this is a joke right?"

I couldn't believe it.

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
Blatant bias, just horrible.
I hate complaining about officiating but REALLY REFS??!!!

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
The Refs were horrid......I also saw the UCONN offensive lineman hold the HELL out of our defensive line all night, and I'm not talking like the Burris hold on Iowa....Im talking like i could see cleevage on defensive lineman, I bet they have serious chaffing around the neck from all those holds. It looked like they had V-neck uniforms at times.

TERRIBLE REFS....but who cares they couldn't even stop us tonight!!!

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
The head referee was Tom Walker...from Nebraska. He has been a thorn in our side for a lot of games.

He was trying not to laugh every time he got the chance to call a penalty on us. Or override the no-facemask call etc.

lenosky

Sep 18, 2007
as an official I usually stick up for them, but the most glaring thing was the non intentional grounding. I watched it a couple times and in fact it was a lateral, should have been fumble.

we could not get a holding call all night too. One replay they showed with Neal making the tackle, the guy had him by the jersey. Look at the last hail mary, it looks like I think it is Neal again gets tackled.

Pass interferences were pretty wishwashy as well.

We were doing some the same things and maybe deserved to be called for holding or whatever ,but I just say call it both ways. There is not a game that is played perfect that only deserves 1 penalty while the other team has 8 for about 9 times the amount in yards

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Yeah, I usually don't call out the refs, because it is a hard job, but holy cow...

Completely unbalanced.

Phantom face mask call......oops, non-call

Towards the end there, that was either a fumble (it was), or an intentional grounding or in the grasp. That really capped off the night officiating-wise.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
Grabbing the helmet is the same as a facemask. Think he grabbed it under the ear-hole. Can't believe they picked up that flag.
Although, after the one good, clear angle showed the 1st qtr TD should have been down @ 1 (or just inside) yard line was called a TD, I should have expected this flag to be picked up.

Iowa State has had the most plays not reversed where the re-plays clearly show a wrong call than any other football program in the country. Without a doubt.

Late hit called on us - terrible call
1st pass interference - terrible call (others after I could actually live with)
UConn D enters neutral zone causing our players to jump - terrible call - should have been offsides
Late hit on Steele & not called - terrible non-call
Pass thrown near Rhoads on side-line & not called grounding - terrible call
Sack by Neal & they call incomplete pass - terrible call - should have been a fumble

These @ holes better get their act together. Still, we beat the 15 or 16 guys on the field that were against us.

Help Support Us

Become a patron