I hope hilton....

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Not going to lie. I look like an idiot every game in our parquet section, raising up and motioning to the crowd with my arms to "get up". I bet they think I'm ridiculous. Unfortunately, I probably yell some stupid things, tho, too. But for the most part, I just love the Clones and want Hilton Magic in force....ALL the time, EVERY game. Don't tell me that it doesn't help those players out on the floor.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Gotta agree. My kid had the 7:30 a.m. Friday final last term, fell flat on his back the second he stepped outside at Freddy. Had to inch along to get there for his final all the way, buses weren't running yet when he needed to leave. When I went to pick him up at about noon, still nothing done on the ice. So sorry you got hurt.

Thanks. Mine is just annoying, but it's that. There were plenty of people hobbling in there that looked really rough.
Maybe they'll bother some year.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Give the fans something to cheer about. We go on a run and everyone is waiting for the run the other direction. We all know it is coming.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
Thanks. Mine is just annoying, but it's that. There were plenty of people hobbling in there that looked really rough.
Maybe they'll bother some year.
seriously? are you all from the east coast or something? a couple inches of snow? quit your whining? with that attitude our crowd would look like texas tech's.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Give the fans something to cheer about. We go on a run and everyone is waiting for the run the other direction. We all know it is coming.

what made Hilton special is it going both ways, not just the players giving them something to cheer about. It is up to the fans to spurn on the players on too. For whatever reason, the Hilton Magic or consistently loud crowd from the 80s and 90s is never going to be back. What we have today is pathetic by comparison.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
I was at the game. The crowd was pretty decent. We gave the team a really good ovation when they managed to string together a good last minute to bring the lead to 10 at halftime. We gave them good noise when they built the lead to 18 and Tech took a time out. When Tech threw together 12 straight points unanswered after that, we tried, we really did, to get behind the team and lift them up, but we just kept throwing the ball away, giving them an easy bucket, or a foul'd get called and kill the crowd.

Listen, there were people in my section that haven't missed a game in the 10 years I've had those tickets who either a) didn't make it today, or b) were more than 45 minutes late. The roads were bad, 35 was a parking lot, and the ISU center was triple booked, forcing people to walk from Jack or elsewhere.

And once they got in, having fought traffic, and been sent in a never-ending loop by the parking people looking for a spot, it's hard to immediately jump into rabid fan mode.

Add on top of that, it was a John Higgins officiated game, which means that the first half was super open and loose, and the second half got called pretty tight. Every other series, it seemed like, we got called for ticky tacky fouls as they drove to the lane. We couldn't play defense without fouling, and we couldn't, it felt, get a call at the other end of the floor. That's a recipe for a dead crowd, because you can only be indignant about officiating for so many series in a row.

Turn on any other CMBB game in the country on any given day or night, and there are maybe a half dozen with attendance reaching ours. Was it down compared to what many games in Hilton are? Sure. Was it bad? Heck no.

So stop being ridiculous and enjoy the win.

We won. Enjoy the win.

We won.

Enjoy the win.

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
you're being pretty ridiculous.

well..blaming your lack of fandom on the fact that you have a life outside of sports? cmon....we all have a life outside of sports, but that doesn't mean you can't go crazy on a saturday afternoon for the cyclones when they have a legitimate chance of going deep in the tournament. Why are we fans again? This doesn't happen very often in a cyclones fans lifetime...embrace it.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
well..blaming your lack of fandom on the fact that you have a life outside of sports? cmon....we all have a life outside of sports, but that doesn't mean you can't go crazy on a saturday afternoon for the cyclones when they have a legitimate chance of going deep in the tournament. Why are we fans again? This doesn't happen very often in a cyclones fans lifetime...embrace it.

I think your rationality is broken.

Gnomeborg

Dec 24, 2008
enjoy being mediocre

you are joking, right? That's what's going on here, you're joking? You and your friends had this wonderful idea of jumping on Cyclone Fanatic and pretending to be a completely irrational fan upset about people not cheering good enough, and your character is devoid of empathy, perspective, or the ability to think rationally?

Perhaps there's alcohol involved?

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
you are joking, right? That's what's going on here, you're joking? You and your friends had this wonderful idea of jumping on Cyclone Fanatic and pretending to be a completely irrational fan upset about people not cheering good enough, and your character is devoid of empathy, perspective, or the ability to think rationally?

Perhaps there's alcohol involved?

too funny, you got me. I know cyclone erik is a loyal cyclone. I was only trying to present the side of the debate of the crappy crowd. which normally i agree is a stupid argument, but today, i wasn't so sure.

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
In all seriousness what do you expect? You can't have an insane, raucous crowd EVERY game, but you especially can't have one against Texas tech, a team we have no rivalry or relationship with, with little on the line, when you blow an 18 point lead.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
In all seriousness what do you expect? You can't have an insane, raucous crowd EVERY game, but you especially can't have one against Texas tech, a team we have no rivalry or relationship with, with little on the line, when you blow an 18 point lead.

Agreed. Its not like we are Duke, KU, or Mich St.

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
Because they have good reason to believe that the walking conditions are safe after another uncleared week on campus.
Pretty sure half the campus was there with me at Student Health getting repaired after Friday's death trap performance. If walking is your means of transportation anywhere near the ISU campus, staying home isn't a bad idea at all.

Boo hoo. Drive 3 hours each way and then have to walk. I made it, quit making lame excuses. I didn't see anything about 16k students being admitted at Student Health lol..... Nice try though.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Today was my first BB game in two years (I know, I know) but I was sort of shocked how apathetic people were. We are the #11 team in the nation and the whole crowd reminded me of a McDermott era game...seriously. As for the snow, I left the house at 9:00 and drove 2 1/2 hours in it and made it just fine. I guess the students a few blocks away couldn't make it. The upper level student section is a joke. I just paid $180 for four tickets to a game with empty seats all over...

That said it was so awesome being back in Hilton and it was also my kids first time ever and they were just wide eyed the whole game...couldn't believe they were actually at Hilton after watching every game on tv. Fun day.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron