Hy-Vee's weirdest business decision yet?

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It's beyond stupid. I just gave it up and throw everything into the curbside recycling. I've probably dumped $20, but my time is worth more than that to me.
There are charities that take your cans and then sort and get the money for it.

In CR there is Critter Crusaders takes cans in any bag/box you have, volunteers sort it by type and then get the money from Can Shed. Just no glass!

Info about halfway down the page - Cans for Critters

Reactions: NWICY and Entropy

ackatch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 22, 2021
Waukee

In CR there is Critter Crusaders takes cans in any bag/box you have, volunteers sort it by type and then get the money from Can Shed. Just no glass!

I'll just donate to a charity instead. It, personally, isn't worth my time to rinse out all the cans, keep them, and make a drop off when I have an amount worthwhile.

Reactions: CascadeClone

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA

I’ve been donating my cans to them for the past 4 years. Big fan of those folks.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I like HyChi, but it's a very narrow window of hitting it fresh. If it's not recently made it's not worth eating.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Never been a fan of the HiChi, their pizza, or just about anything else they make either. Just very mid. Almost anywhere is better.
For Hy-Chi being all corporate recipes, it is wild how the quality of Hy-Chi can vary from store to store in my opinion. Some are really good and some should consider no longer offering that service.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Yes. I think they have "shift" managers at each store but one DM oversees the old Director responsibilities.
Each store has a store manager who oversee the day to day operation. The store managers report to a Store Director. The Store Director may oversee more than one store, based on the volume of the store.

In DSM, the downtown store reports to the store on Fleur. The store in WDM on Valley West Drive shares a director with the store at Grand and Railroad.

Very few store directors get their hands dirty on the sales floor, and the management team, and department managers can run the store. Each store not having a store director is not a big issue.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
For Hy-Chi being all corporate recipes, it is wild how the quality of Hy-Chi can vary from store to store in my opinion. Some are really good and some should consider no longer offering that service.
The Chinese cooks in the store modify the recipes all the time. Most of them don't follow the recipes given to them by corporate.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Our local Chinese place is better and cheaper than Hy-Chi. Also has better hours.

One of my sons in KC was blissfully unaware of CC until an old guy in a motorized cart clipped her Major League cardboard version when he was at the store. He just saw the uniform and resisted the urge to draw a mustache on her while he helped the teenager working there pick up the crap that got knocked over.

His store is super crowded with non food items. He gets ice cream at CVS cause they have a better selection.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Apart from the recipes, for awhile I’d always go on Tuesday evenings for the 2-entree special. One time a manager was behind the counter waiting on customers and he was majorly miserly with filling the containers. Never went back if he was there.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Apart from the recipes, for awhile I’d always go on Tuesday evenings for the 2-entree special. One time a manager was behind the counter waiting on customers and he was majorly miserly with filling the containers. Never went back if he was there.
We do hy-chi probably once a month. It’s cheap and easy for our family to have dinner out.

I don’t eat rice, in general. One time, the cook was kind enough to sauté up some fresh veggies on the spot at no charge. Great service.

A different time, the girl working there told me it would be an extra charge if I didn’t want rice. Not for a substitute. I said “no rice thanks” and she said “if you’re just getting two entrees and no rice, it’s $2 more.”

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
We do hy-chi probably once a month. It’s cheap and easy for our family to have dinner out.

I don’t eat rice, in general. One time, the cook was kind enough to sauté up some fresh veggies on the spot at no charge. Great service.

A different time, the girl working there told me it would be an extra charge if I didn’t want rice. Not for a substitute. I said “no rice thanks” and she said “if you’re just getting two entrees and no rice, it’s $2 more.”
I just got HyChi earlier this week and they’re actually offering noodles as an option instead of rice. Never seen that before.

Making you pay extra for no rice is just dumb, unless they think you want extra entree in the space where the rice goes.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Our local Chinese place is better and cheaper than Hy-Chi. Also has better hours.

One of my sons in KC was blissfully unaware of CC until an old guy in a motorized cart clipped her Major League cardboard version when he was at the store. He just saw the uniform and resisted the urge to draw a mustache on her while he helped the teenager working there pick up the crap that got knocked over.

His store is super crowded with non food items. He gets ice cream at CVS cause they have a better selection.
Lol we get it, you've made it clear about 10 times you hate Hy-Vee and want nothing to do with them... Is it a surprise that a local food place is better than a regional grocery store? Feel like that's a given.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Lol we get it, you've made it clear about 10 times you hate Hy-Vee and want nothing to do with them... Is it a surprise that a local food place is better than a regional grocery store? Feel like that's a given.
I can’t imagine a CVS with a better ice cream selection than any grocery store. Maybe I’m spoiled, my HyVee has a lot of ice cream.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I just got HyChi earlier this week and they’re actually offering noodles as an option instead of rice. Never seen that before.

Making you pay extra for no rice is just dumb, unless they think you want extra entree in the space where the rice goes.
If I’m being generous, I think her logic was: it’s not a meal without rice. If you just want two entrees, I can only sell you a pint of each.

I pleaded with her for a few minutes to get her to understand that it cost them less to give me the two entree meal minus rice. But she wasn’t getting it. I finally just said “two entrees with white rice.”