Hunter Dekkers Concerns?

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Dekkers already played in a Cy-Hawk game and had he not thrown the interception right away, we could have won the game with him.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
wait what? I don't see anyone bagging on Dekkers. We are all excited about him but are aware early in they year he may struggle some because of lack of experience. Going into Iowa City for the second game with that crowd right on top of you and the pressure of a rivalry game is going to be a tough deal for him.
You have to trust the process and every player needs to go out and do his job and make plays. We have seen Hunter on the field and nearly every time he's been productive. I hear Campbell saying he thinks he has the physical ability and the intangibles to play the position and be a leader on the team. Beyond that, the proof of the pudding is in the set.

Reactions: Statefan10

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Iowa's achilles heel has always been the vertical passing game and that's why Purdue has had great success over the years even though their team's overall haven't been that good. The last two times we've had success on offense against Iowa was in 2017 where Park was slinging it down the field and then in 2019 where Iowa gave up two long TD passes.

Our team this year is not going to go to many 2-3 TE sets. We're going to see guys spread out more and with Dekker's arm strength, we're going to try and take the top off the defense more. That doesn't mean we're going to throw for 400+ yards but stretching Iowa's defense out won't allow them to stack the box the entire game to stop our RB's and TE's like they did last year which was ultimately our downfall.
Just looking at Purdue last year only, it looks like a mix of long and short completions. Of course I didn't look at yards after catch. I think Northwestern has had success against Iowa nickel and diming them in the passing game. Whatever we do, I just hope we don't try and out Iowa, Iowa again.

We had a couple of big plays against them in 2019, but one was a trick play.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just looking at Purdue last year only, it looks like a mix of long and short completions. Of course I didn't look at yards after catch. I think Northwestern has had success against Iowa nickel and diming them in the passing game. Whatever we do, I just hope we don't try and out Iowa, Iowa again.

We had a couple of big plays against them in 2019, but one was a trick play.

Yeah I mean the thing with playing that style of play is you leave yourself no room for error. Make mistakes against Iowa and you will lose. Iowa has been so so good in this win streak and a lot of that has had to do with the fact that they haven't turned the ball over one single time, their special teams has been stellar, and we've made some very stupid mistakes.

Even go back to the game in 2017 with Park at QB and we're up 10 with the ball like halfway through the 4th quarter and he throws a pick. We luckily stopped them for a field goal but that opened the door up for them. Not giving them the ball on that half of the field for them to put up points means more time off the clock and the game is over.

You just can't do those things and expect to win games against a team like Iowa.

Cyrealist

Sep 25, 2013
You just can't do those things and expect to win games against a team like Iowa.
I think the streak has gotten in our guys' heads a little. We need to just go out there and play the game. Make plays. Turn the ball over 4 times and you'll almost never win. Admittedly a couple of those were flukes, but we've been beating ourselves.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
How about you Jack***'s lay off the young man. We have a team full of newbe's, but it all falls to the QB? Let's just hope we don't have to score 50+ to win. Now there is something to really worry about. Insiders are saying Rocco is not ready. Doesn't know the book - to small - to slow - team has no confidence in him yet.
Guy says to “lay off” then proceeds to completely destroy a young man who has yet to even put on a Cyclone uniform. Hilarious.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Yeah I mean the thing with playing that style of play is you leave yourself no room for error. Make mistakes against Iowa and you will lose. Iowa has been so so good in this win streak and a lot of that has had to do with the fact that they haven't turned the ball over one single time, their special teams has been stellar, and we've made some very stupid mistakes.

Even go back to the game in 2017 with Park at QB and we're up 10 with the ball like halfway through the 4th quarter and he throws a pick. We luckily stopped them for a field goal but that opened the door up for them. Not giving them the ball on that half of the field for them to put up points means more time off the clock and the game is over.

We were only up 3 when we threw the pick. We were up 10 with 6:18 left, but an Iowa receiver made a huge catch in the endzone to cut it to 3. On our next drive, Park hit Butler on a 75 yard bomb, he got behind the Iowa D and there was no way they were going to catch him. So we went up 7 with 4:36 left in the game. I can't believe we blew a 10 point lead with that little time left. Our D held and we got the ball back with a 7 point lead and 3:32 left. I think all we needed was a first down and this game was pretty much over. We made hay that day by attacking the Iowa D, but on this possession we went conservative to protect the lead. We pinned them back on their own 12 yard line with a punt. On Iowa's possession Vanderberg got away with a huge offensive PI but the Big 10 refs didn't call it. Anyway, the last 4 minutes of this game are excruciating.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is hard to say how Dekkers will perform with the burden of being the starter on him. He certain has been under fire in a few spots in the last 2 years and didn't flinch, which is a good start.

BTW, there are a couple other capable QBs in the room, so if Dekkers struggles a bit there are other options. Not sure that was the case for most of this century.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We were only up 3 when we threw the pick. We were up 10 with 6:18 left, but an Iowa receiver made a huge catch in the endzone to cut it to 3. On our next drive, Park hit Butler on a 75 yard bomb, he got behind the Iowa D and there was no way they were going to catch him. So we went up 7 with 4:36 left in the game. I can't believe we blew a 10 point lead with that little time left. Our D held and we got the ball back with a 7 point lead and 3:32 left. I think all we needed was a first down and this game was pretty much over. We made hay that day by attacking the Iowa D, but on this possession we went conservative to protect the lead. We pinned them back on their own 12 yard line with a punt. On Iowa's possession Vanderberg got away with a huge offensive PI but the Big 10 refs didn't call it. Anyway, the last 4 minutes of this game are excruciating.

Thanks for the correction! Yeah that game was arguably worse for me than the 2019 game honestly.

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022

Pain.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
do some of you guys come out of the woodwork on just gamedays?

it's almost like none of you follow off season and/or pre-season information that comes out.

dekkers is going to be good. like i said, he would have played last year if it wasn't for the guy in front of him being a 4 yr starter.
He's got the talent to be the best QB we've ever had. I don't think people realize the kind of arm he has or the athlete he is. Its up to him and the coaches now.