Hunter Dekkers Concerns?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
My only concern is his OC, especially early in the year.

But if you really listened to the coaches in preseasons, you'd have believed going into last year we had our entire 3-deep OL as future NFL starters. How'd that turn out?
Exaggerate much? You’re better than that.

CMC said he had 11 guys who could play.

Turns out Remsburg was hurt all year. Sean Foster got hurt right away. They weren’t quite confident in Tyler Miller until midseason. Treiber was probably a step behind him.

That leaves seven guards/centers. Given that five of them wound up starting across the front, does that sound wrong?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Exaggerate much? You’re better than that.

CMC said he had 11 guys who could play.

Turns out Remsburg was hurt all year. Sean Foster got hurt right away. They weren’t quite confident in Tyler Miller until midseason. Treiber was probably a step behind him.

That leaves seven guards/centers. Given that five of them wound up starting across the front, does that sound wrong?

Man, take things a little too literal?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I’ve said this a few times. I think it’s a similar situation to Alex Smith and Patrick Mahomes. It’s hard to bench Smith and Mahomes needed some development. It’s hard to bench one of the best and winningest QB’s in Iowa State history for a a QB who could benefit from from development.

It’s rather common, a player gets hurt and their young backup comes in and is a lot better.

Also similar to TJ, he could have been the coach after Fred, but he’s probably a better HC now after two other HC jobs with different assistants and players.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have a few conversations once in awhile with lower level guys on staff. The tone of the enthusiasm behind Dekkers is for real and different than about any other positive vibes Ive gotten regarding a player or position group.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I have a few conversations once in awhile with lower level guys on staff. The tone of the enthusiasm behind Dekkers is for real and different than about any other positive vibes Ive gotten regarding a player or position group.

Any vibe on Rocco?

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
wait what? I don't see anyone bagging on Dekkers. We are all excited about him but are aware early in they year he may struggle some because of lack of experience. Going into Iowa City for the second game with that crowd right on top of you and the pressure of a rivalry game is going to be a tough deal for him.

Well it's not like Campbell's win streak against Iowa is on the line. :rolleyes:

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
I'm not sure we will ever be that attacking defense. We only rush 3 quite often.
Especially only rushing 3 when it’s 3rd and long against slow a$$ Nate Stanley and Spencer penis. Both terrible decision makers under pressure. Allowing them to sit back and wait for the zone to break down to make an easy throw.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Especially only rushing 3 when it’s 3rd and long against slow a$$ Nate Stanley and Spencer penis. Both terrible decision makers under pressure. Allowing them to sit back and wait for the zone to break down to make an easy throw.
I always complain about it but then as the games go on I see that we do typically keep a decent seal on things. I would prefer to run more man coverage and let one of our safeties ball hawk or blitz. Maybe these talented corners we're hearing about will be more aggressive? It feels like we're on our heals in zone rather than looking to attack the ball.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
My only concern is his OC, especially early in the year.

But if you really listened to the coaches in preseasons, you'd have believed going into last year we had our entire 3-deep OL as future NFL starters. How'd that turn out?
I believe the staff bought into their own hype about the O-line. They stuck to their belief that the O-line would be able to handle Iowa's defense for way too long in last season's game before they switched to the spread offense way too late.

For all this “o-line was bad last year” talk, they most certainly didn’t cost us the Iowa, Baylor, WVU, or Tech games. Online performs exactly as they did last year but we go 11-1 and no one is complaining about it.

The defense allowing two bad QBs to look like all Americans in the WVU and Tech games were much worse performances by a group that was supposed to be a strength, in my opinion.
You're not wrong about 3 of those games but the O-line was terrible against Iowa and may have cost them that game (or at least made it really difficult for the rest of the team).

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

jdolson27

May 23, 2015
I always complain about it but then as the games go on I see that we do typically keep a decent seal on things. I would prefer to run more man coverage and let one of our safeties ball hawk or blitz. Maybe these talented corners we're hearing about will be more aggressive? It feels like we're on our heals in zone rather than looking to attack the ball.
I sure hope especially against conservative offenses or slower quarterbacks that don’t handle pressure well.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I believe the staff bought into their own hype about the O-line. They stuck to their belief that the O-line would be able to handle Iowa's defense for way too long in last season's game before they switched to the spread offense way too late.

You're not wrong about 3 of those games but the O-line was terrible against Iowa and may have cost them that game (or at least made it really difficult for the rest of the team).
That day was so hot. Ugh. I hated that game.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
We all did and I watched it from the comfort of my living room.
They fking ruined two Game Day home games. We owe them big. Lets hope Dekkers can make them pay.

I wonder if culturally if our program has the right mindset for this game? After Dan got us going, we either beat Iowa or played them tough. Dan went 6-3 against them in his last 9 years and lost close ones against them in 2004 and 2006. Even in losses we even ran the ball agains them under McCarney. He had our guys come out and play with their hair on fire, you could see it and feel it. Even Pauls teams were pretty much ready for Iowa after his first couple of years. But Paul and Dan are Iowa guys, I think they get the rivalry on a different level than possibly CMC. Kirk struggled with this rivalry, he was accused of not caring about it and focusing on the Big 10 by his fans much like CMC. After 2014, the Iowa staff put a major emphasis on this game (Iowa fans won't admit this). They have been super focused and ready to play. That is evident in that they. haven't. made any mistakes, no turnovers and no special teams gaffs. We on the other hand have had plenty of turnovers and special teams fk ups during this losing streak.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
They fking ruined two Game Day home games. We owe them big. Lets hope Dekkers can make them pay.

I wonder if culturally if our program has the right mindset for this game? After Dan got us going, we either beat Iowa or played them tough. Dan went 6-3 against them in his last 9 years and lost close ones against them in 2004 and 2006. Even in losses we even ran the ball agains them under McCarney. He had our guys come out and play with their hair on fire, you could see it and feel it. Even Pauls teams were pretty much ready for Iowa after his first couple of years. But Paul and Dan are Iowa guys, I think they get the rivalry on a different level than possibly CMC. Kirk struggled with this rivalry, he was accused of not caring about it and focusing on the Big 10 by his fans much like CMC. After 2014, the Iowa staff put a major emphasis on this game (Iowa fans won't admit this). They have been super focused and ready to play. That is evident in that they. haven't. made any mistakes, no turnovers and no special teams gaffs. We on the other hand have had plenty of turnovers and special teams fk ups during this losing streak.
I think CMC "gets" this rivalry. Coming from Ohio, he certainly understands the intensity of college football in the Midwest.

My take on that game during this mini losing streak is simple: September Cyclone Syndrome (SCS).

We've shot ourselves in the foot in these most recent losses, making critical/dumb mistakes early and in crunch time.

Credit Iowa for taking full advantage of our blunders. But I think we get the W this year in IC.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY and VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron