Hufford comments bulletin board material for Longhorns

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Sure, but what positive benefit is there to Hufford running his mouth?
Its called swagger. For some players putting it out there helps motivate them. It's not like ISU players haven't talked **** in the past. Breece's five star comment is probably plastered all over the walls this week. It's a big nothing burger. Players who need a chip on the shoulder to get motivated will find a way to get themselves wound up whether an opponent gives it to them or they need to manufacture something.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Its called swagger. For some players putting it out there helps motivate them. It's not like ISU players haven't talked **** in the past. Breece's five star comment is probably plastered all over the walls this week. It's a big nothing burger. Players who need a chip on the shoulder to get motivated will find a way to get themselves wound up whether an opponent gives it to them or they need to manufacture something.
Breece's comment came after the game. A game that was played 3 years ago.

Talking **** in public before a game is dumb as hell. Look at Michigan players last year acting like they didn't even know what conference TCU was in.

I'm all for swagger. You don't have to run your mouth to a reporter to have it.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA

Talking **** in public before a game is dumb as hell. Look at Michigan players last year acting like they didn't even know what conference TCU was in.

Talk all the smack you want after the game. That's the best time to do it. But talking before (even if it adds only a little motivation) is not my favorite.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

I get what you are saying, but... who cares? He's gonna talk ****... good on him. Back it up and prove it.

No biggie.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Nothing he said is shocking or a surprise, even to the Texas players and those affiliated. I agree best to leave it unsaid, but the statements were all facts.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If we’re being honest, bulletin board material probably isn’t as much of an influencer as media and fans make it out to be.

Of course we can point to specific quotes when particular things happen (say a player goes off), but there’s an entire universe of quotes that made no change to the expected results of a game (e.g., Iowa’s Anderson “saw a lot of opportunity” against our secondary, their passing game sucked but we still lost- not like it really changed the game to our favor there).

Agree. Coach Prime gets "disrespected" by opponents and the media about a dozen times per week. It does not seem to help their play on the field or coaching.
Although those things don't seem to matter to the media. I'm pretty sure that ESPN would like to replace the Longhorn Network with Prime 24/7.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It was really stupid. It's a bad look, and it just gives the opponent necessary ammo.

What is one good thing that could come from doing this?

I'm generally a "talk all the ****" guy but, while your unit has improved, you'll still be the worst unit on the field this weekend so maybe shut up if your just going to go with boilerplate stuff. If you could make it funny, or intelligent, then maybe let it rip but this was just drivel from a guy who's probably going to get wrecked a fair amount this weekend.

*I'm not saying we can't compete and win. I'm saying that if we do it won't be because the OL is paving.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
If the #7 team in the country (that could make the CFP) needs bulletin board material to get motivated, they’re already in trouble.
Jordan was the best athlete of all time and thrived with bulletin board material. We can pretend it doesn’t matter but anyone who has played sports knows there’s something to it. It’s why coach speak is a thing

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
The funniest thing about some posters saying it’s no big deal is, if this was said from an opponent about ISU, those same posters would be furious and posting about how this is bulletin board material and the teams going to come out with a chip on their shoulders. Texas players are already retweeting what he said. Whether or not it will have mattered in the outcome of the game or not, ISU already had a steep hill to climb to win this game and Hufford has made the hill even steeper, even if it’s only a few inches.

CyPack

Apr 19, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Probably better to toe the company line and just compliment texas on being a good team and move on. No need to stir them up when its not necessary. They already have plenty to play for. I'm guessing CMC wasn't too pleased about it.

clone4sure

Sep 5, 2014
Texas has a lot at stake for this game. we can play without all the pressure, and this is an advantage for us. they are already focused on this game and know what's at stake. they are 1-4 against us in Ames these last 5. the O line and D line will win this game for us. what Hufford said IMO doesn't matter.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA

Yeah, except we had t-shirts made based on his comments in 2021, and that motivated Texas so much that...

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Meh, I doubt Campbell is happy about saying this to the media and Hufford may regret those words the first time he gets beat one on one, but we don't have much to lose as fans. Texas is Texas, they're #7, and we're lowly Iowa State with one last shot.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
I'm a Texas player. I have one of the richest AD's and all the resources available to me. My team is comprised of some of the most highly sought after players. We are in the mix for a CFP spot. But thank God that OL had an extra spicy quote about our game or we would be in danger of not being ready for that game.