HS BBall Shot Clock

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The IAHSAA sits on wads of cash in Boone. They could easily afford this for schools if they wanted to.

Reactions: BigLame
D

Deleted member 8507

Having to depend on a volunteer to run it would make it not worthwhile. How many games would be contested after the fact because the shot clock was managed poorly by an "impartial volunteer" causing one team to lose.

Having to pay an extra official to run the shot clock would be expensive too, if they went that route.
The cost of the system is not the bottle neck. The cost to pay a trained individual to attend and operate the shot clock system for every contest is the large expense that schools would balk at. My guess would be half the cost of court officials or $25-$30 for JH, $40-50 for Fresh/Soph/JV and $50-$60 per each varsity contest. That would run around $6000-$8000 per year per school.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The cost of the system is not the bottle neck. The cost to pay a trained individual to attend and operate the shot clock system for every contest is the large expense that schools would balk at. My guess would be half the cost of court officials or $25-$30 for JH, $40-50 for Fresh/Soph/JV and $50-$60 per each varsity contest. That would run around $6000-$8000 per year per school.

Really? How about get a retired guy to go to a class for a Saturday and then pay him in popcorn and snickers? The refs are already extremely overpaid for the bad job they do. Having a random volunteer is as good as a paid "professional".

• Dislike
Reactions: dmrthom and jay moe

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Really? How about get a retired guy to go to a class for a Saturday and then pay him in popcorn and snickers? The refs are already extremely overpaid for the bad job they do. Having a random volunteer is as good as a paid "professional".
Dealing with ******** like you are why the officials are paid what they are, and there's still a shortage.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

Why would someone get paid $25-$30 per hour to run a shot clock when high school coaches are making like sub-$2 per hour?

• Winner
Reactions: Gunnerclone

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Dealing with ******** like you are why the officials are paid what they are, and there's still a shortage.

There was a little league quite a while back that switched to volunteer umpires for a while because they were tired of paying for "professionals". A parent from one of the teams ended up being the ump for the game. There were a few near fights from the terrible calls that ensued and regular disagreements on what the actual rules were.

Lots of fans think officiating is easy and that they could do much better, then they actually try doing it and, sometimes literally, fall on their faces.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Odd that Maryland put it in for girls but not boys.
Have you ever watched a high school girls basketball game? In HS, I would help with the scoreboards for our girls team and I'd rather watch paint dry at some points. We had one baller who could hit from 25, but that was about it. If boys basketball does it, it is because the coach is doing it as a "strategy" where with girls HS bball, they will literally pass the ball around the key until someone finally has a wide open lane/shot/pass, and even then sometimes they don't pull the trigger. I think every state should have girls shot clock for high school solely for the people in attendance or go back to the old Iowa HS girls rules..

Reactions: heitclone

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I would guess you would only use the clock for varsity games

D

Deleted member 8507

Why would someone get paid $25-$30 per hour to run a shot clock when high school coaches are making like sub-$2 per hour?
Those figures are not per hour, they are per event, which is how the schools pay officials. You are contracted for the event, no matter how long it takes. And the events at the lower levels are always at least 2 games, sometimes 3 if there are lots of players. I once officiated a JH game where each team had over 40 players so we ended up doing 3 games just so everyone would get a chance to play at least a couple of minutes. Those level 3 games can get pretty brutal when players have trouble getting the ball past half court with no back court pressure. Per hour rate is probably half the numbers above so about $10/hr for JH and maybe $20/hr for varsity.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
They added a play clock in football, should be able to add a shot clock as well in basketball.

"Play clocks" for football were just kept by the referees before. Adding the shot clock is adding in a whole new rule for high school basketball in Iowa.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

People like you are why there aren't as many good refs out there. Its not worth it to deal with ******** like you.

You ever officiated before? Can you make a call in a split second? It's easy to sit on your couch and watch the replay over and over to see what is right and wrong, its a whole other thing to actually be the one out there making that call.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
The IAHSAA sits on wads of cash in Boone. They could easily afford this for schools if they wanted to.
IHSAA is a Non Profit organization. It cannot sit on wads of cash but I am sure it has a large endowment.
IHSAA is also membership driven- if it's membership wants clocks, there is a way to make that known and a process to make it happen.
Nearly all of the revenue that the IHSAA makes is driven back into its events and student service work. Given that I am sure they took some hit to the budget with football playoffs shrinking, I doubt that they are rolling in the dough. With the attendance at state tournament games and the shrinking gates at district play- I doubt hoops grosses much.

Guessing wrestling, football and track and field yield the most $$$ but I am just guessing.

The annual cost of a school to belong to IHSAA is exactly $1 last time I checked.

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
How about a compromise. Make them play with a shot clock during the state tournament only. The state can surely afford to have shot clocks and operators during the tournament. It also would discourage teams from holding on to the ball during the regular season.

You could also use other rule changes to encourage more offense. Something like if neither team reaches a certain point minimum in regulation the game counts as a draw or forfeit for both, hurting their chance at making it to state. That wouldn't cost a dime.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
There is something quaint about these games with stalling. I remember a holiday tournament in which a weak suburban Catholic school beat a high powered Chicago public school team 10-8 by using the four-corners offense. They wouldn't take a shot unless it was a wide open layup. It was unbelievable to watch.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkclone

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
There is something quaint about these games with stalling. I remember a holiday tournament in which a weak suburban Catholic school beat a high powered Chicago public school team 10-8 by using the four-corners offense. They wouldn't take a shot unless it was a wide open layup. It was unbelievable to watch.
And this is coming from the guy who thought the cubs would be better off losing the world series. You and i like very different things apparently.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
If you are a player how can that be any fun? Stand around the whole game and only be allowed to shoot a couple times.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
How about a compromise. Make them play with a shot clock during the state tournament only. The state can surely afford to have shot clocks and operators during the tournament. It also would discourage teams from holding on to the ball during the regular season.

You could also use other rule changes to encourage more offense. Something like if neither team reaches a certain point minimum in regulation the game counts as a draw or forfeit for both, hurting their chance at making it to state. That wouldn't cost a dime.

Don't necessarily love those, but at least you are providing some alternate solutions.

Your first idea wouldn't be a bad start to the changes. However, the argument against that would be most coaches know if they have a team that could potentially play in state. So the ones clearly not good enough would not be enticed to change their style in the regular season to prepare for the postseason shot clock.

And even in the case of Hoover-Ames, teams with state tourney aspirations, the coach would still be more concerned about winning this game, any way possible, than preparing to possibly play with a shot clock 6 weeks later.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
IHSAA is a Non Profit organization. It cannot sit on wads of cash but I am sure it has a large endowment.
IHSAA is also membership driven- if it's membership wants clocks, there is a way to make that known and a process to make it happen.
Nearly all of the revenue that the IHSAA makes is driven back into its events and student service work. Given that I am sure they took some hit to the budget with football playoffs shrinking, I doubt that they are rolling in the dough. With the attendance at state tournament games and the shrinking gates at district play- I doubt hoops grosses much.

Guessing wrestling, football and track and field yield the most $$$ but I am just guessing.

The annual cost of a school to belong to IHSAA is exactly $1 last time I checked.

Not arguing about the budget, but shrinking the FB play offs was a good thing. too many teams that didn't belong were in the expanded version.