HS BBall Shot Clock

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Here is my opinion as I have refereed, coached a few varsity years and played without and with a shot clock as a player.

1. The true comments about training and finding one more person to run the shot clock would be a pain. Doable, but a pain. Most schools AD typically has to find the following people to run a table for the night: (I know some schools don't have all these)
Official Book
points, score, foul etc
Timer (on/off)
PA
Sound/Video guy
(Shot Clock Guy)

There are a lot of schools that have room for like 4-6 people on the table. just another body to put there. I can't imagine the first couple years of people trying to run the shot clock. I loved the idea of just having to shoot the ball and not worrying about it hitting the rim. Not sure what would happen if a guy "shot the ball" and airballed it as the timer went off and someone tips it in. It would have to be a valid shot I guess. Its also just one more piece of equipment to fail.

2. What I would do is find a title sponsor like Farm Bureau.
Provide a couple different options of shotclocks. For example 1 from Fairplay and 1 from Daktronics. Slap some requirements on where they should be mounted. Either on the backboard on mounted on the wall to the right of the basket etc.
The sponsor could get a sticker to put on the shot clock. if you don't want the logo then you pay for it yourself.

We have 363 Varsity Programs in the state. Don't worry about aux gyms, JH, Freshmen, JV etc. Each school has 1 competition gym. meaning Carlise only plays varsity games in 1 gym. Shot clock only used for varsity. I think that is pretty accurate for the most part. 2 clocks and wire, install can't be more than 3-4k. So lets just say 5,000 per school. That is around $1.8 million for every varsity competition gym to have a shot clock.

3. Why is Iowa so weird when it comes to change? We are the only state that has separate unions for Boys and Girls. We were the last state I believe to switch to 5 on 5 Girls basketball.
We used Fan backboards until like 2000.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
This has been necessary for awhile. Mason City came in with a game plan Harrison Barnes senior year to run a wall play for the entire first quarter. The first 30 seconds the Ames players were just laughing then tall and lanky Doug McDermott just kind of forced his way through the wall and in the middle of a handoff to another player, smacked the ball off the player and Ames got the ball.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
If you are a player how can that be any fun? Stand around the whole game and only be allowed to shoot a couple times.

So bball is only fun if you get to shoot a lot? I assume you feel it's pointless to play O line in football, I mean those guys never get to score touchdowns. They have to be super bored.

• Dislike
Reactions: jkclone

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Not arguing about the budget, but shrinking the FB play offs was a good thing. too many teams that didn't belong were in the expanded version.
I generally agree but I still think 4a Central Iowa has better teams not making it.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
The worst central Iowa 4A team (minus the Des Moines schools) could beat the third best eastern or western conference school. Central Iowa should be its own class.

Scratch that. Dowling should be its own class. Then Central Iowa.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
So bball is only fun if you get to shoot a lot? I assume you feel it's pointless to play O line in football, I mean those guys never get to score touchdowns. They have to be super bored.

It's not just the guy with the ball. The kids off ball don't get to do anything either. They all just stand. Little to no screening, cutting, posting, passing, etc.

That is not fun for anyone playing, as well as officials and fans.

to2extreme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 9, 2008
8 states (7 in boys bball), New York and California are the biggest ones. Other than that not any huge bball hotbeds adopting it.

"While a proposal for a national shot clock was voted down this year by the National Federation of State High School associations, eight states have adopted a shot clock, though doing so puts those state associations out of compliance with NFHS rules and denies those associations a vote on the NFHS basketball rules committee."

Shot-clock States
State - Boys - Girls

California - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
Maryland - none - 30 seconds
Massachusetts - 30 seconds - 30 seconds
NewYork - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
North Dakota - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
Rhode Island - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
South Dakota - 35seconds - 35 seconds
Washington - 35 seconds - 30 seconds

Being from North Dakota, if all the small schools in ND can afford it, IA can afford it.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Being from North Dakota, if all the small schools in ND can afford it, IA can afford it.
Never said IA schools couldn't afford it. (And I am for shot clocks, I always hated playing the schools who slowed it down solely for the sake of keeping it close.) But the inner-city Chicago public schools probably arent going to be rushing to use their money on a shot clock.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
If you are a player how can that be any fun? Stand around the whole game and only be allowed to shoot a couple times.

I know it sounds horrible, but if you like fundamentals, these games are actually pretty interesting. It is not easy to hold the ball for an entire period. You can see some very good ball handling, passing, and defensive pressure. However, the stress in these games is unbelievable because any one mistake on offense or defense can cost you the game. Typically, the most disciplined team wins in these games unless the more talented team can somehow jump out to an early lead. If the disciplined team gets the lead, hold on for a stressful ride. The clock moves so slowly during these games.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
I attended the Ames v Hoover boys game last night. It went to four overtimes. In the first overtime (four minutes) there was only one shot taken. In the second overtime each team only took one shot each. In the third and fourth overtime there were more shots but each team held the ball as long as possible.

High school basketball needs a shot clock.

And instant replay too!!

Just leave it alone. People are manufacturing a huge problem that is miniscule in the grand scheme of things.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I will say, I've seen several high school basketball teams try to stall, and it invariably never works. We have 5 second calls for a reason.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I will say, I've seen several high school basketball teams try to stall, and it invariably never works. We have 5 second calls for a reason.

Yeah. It sounds easy, but it is really tough to hold the ball and not get a 5 second warning if the other team is making any effort to get a turnover.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron