HS BBall Shot Clock

CycloneNick

Mar 5, 2008
I attended the Ames v Hoover boys game last night. It went to four overtimes. In the first overtime (four minutes) there was only one shot taken. In the second overtime each team only took one shot each. In the third and fourth overtime there were more shots but each team held the ball as long as possible.

High school basketball needs a shot clock.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I attended the Ames v Hoover boys game last night. It went to four overtimes. In the first overtime (four minutes) there was only one shot taken. In the second overtime each team only took one shot each. In the third and fourth overtime there were more shots but each team held the ball as long as possible.

I don't really disagree but you need money.

jay moe

Apr 10, 2006
southern iowa
They added a play clock in football, should be able to add a shot clock as well in basketball.

Not all schools have play clocks in FB, and there has been studies done on HS basketball about the need for a shot clock. The study concluded that the average possession of the ball in HS basketball doesn't last long enough for a shot clock to be needed, so I don't see it happening in the near future.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I've been officiating for 17 years and haven't had a game yet where I felt like it was needed, but I've seen some on TV and heard of others like you described.

My biggest concern is that, unfortunately, I don't think HS officials in general are good enough to manage it correctly (Blum and I are, LOL). I think you would have to have to apply some easier rules to it, like the ball doesn't have to hit the rim, it just has to be a legit shot attempt, etc. so you're not heaping a lot of pressure on a volunteer sitting at the scorer's table.

I've actually brainstormed some ideas for a design where the clock would be located at the scorer's table, rather than schools having to install them on the baskets if cost is a concern. I envision like a cube design with displays on all four sides: facing court, each bench and scorer's table.

Reactions: brentblum

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Not all schools have play clocks in FB, and there has been studies done on HS basketball about the need for a shot clock. The study concluded that the average possession of the ball in HS basketball doesn't last long enough for a shot clock to be needed, so I don't see it happening in the near future.

Is that really the way they've justified it? That's an awful way to determine need.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones423

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I've been officiating for 17 years and haven't had a game yet where I felt like it was needed, but I've seen some on TV and heard of others like you described.

My biggest concern is that, unfortunately, I don't think HS officials in general are good enough to manage it correctly (Blum and I are, LOL). I think you would have to have to apply some easier rules to it, like the ball doesn't have to hit the rim, it just has to be a legit shot attempt, etc. so you're not heaping a lot of pressure on a volunteer sitting at the scorer's table.

I've actually brainstormed some ideas for a design where the clock would be located at the scorer's table, rather than schools having to install them on the baskets if cost is a concern. I envision like a cube design with displays on all four sides: facing court, each bench and scorer's table.

Having to depend on a volunteer to run it would make it not worthwhile. How many games would be contested after the fact because the shot clock was managed poorly by an "impartial volunteer" causing one team to lose.

Having to pay an extra official to run the shot clock would be expensive too, if they went that route.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

They have added shot clocks to the AAU tournaments, where most of the scouting actually happens, so that is the first step into fixing the problem. But as many have said it is something that would take some figuring out and funding to make a reality.

Also, the scoreboard operators at HS games (deans, principals, teachers) can barely keep the points, fouls and possession arrows correct all game, the shot clock would be a whole nother beast, especially to an untrained eye.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
All public schools can afford this. They are flush with "infrastructure" money from the 1% SAVE tax. If small schools can build mini-YMCA's, they can afford a shot clock system.

I would have to think most states have shot clocks in HS basketball. There aren't too many reasons that justify not mandating it.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyhiphopp

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
All public schools can afford this. They are flush with "infrastructure" money from the 1% SAVE tax. If small schools can build mini-YMCA's, they can afford a shot clock system.

I would have to think most states have shot clocks in HS basketball. There aren't too many reasons that justify not mandating it.
8 states (7 in boys bball), New York and California are the biggest ones. Other than that not any huge bball hotbeds adopting it.

"While a proposal for a national shot clock was voted down this year by the National Federation of State High School associations, eight states have adopted a shot clock, though doing so puts those state associations out of compliance with NFHS rules and denies those associations a vote on the NFHS basketball rules committee."

Shot-clock States
State - Boys - Girls

California - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
Maryland - none - 30 seconds
Massachusetts - 30 seconds - 30 seconds
NewYork - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
North Dakota - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
Rhode Island - 35 seconds - 30 seconds
South Dakota - 35seconds - 35 seconds
Washington - 35 seconds - 30 seconds