How the h@ll does trick-or-treating work in central Iowa?

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Give away awesome candy to everyone in costumes and make a child happy, unless its a hawkeye football player costume, then you tell them you're all out, but don't apologize. Pretty sure that's how beggars night works.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I was planning on opening the side door of my van in our culdesac and just telling all the kids that I have candy. No time for a joke!

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I disagree, this is one thing they got right if you have kids.
Please explain.

I have kids. I fail to see how celebrating a holiday the day before the actual holiday and telling a joke instead of saying Trick-or-Treat means they "got it right".

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Should probably keep in mind that trick-or-treating is for the kids, not a bunch of chubby middle-aged pasties. The kids couldn't care less if they go on Halloween or Beggar's Night, I'm sure they probably see it as a bonus that they get their loot a night early. The jokes are kids' jokes. Of course they're lame, but what are some of you expecting... "A lesbo, a hermaphrodite, and the Pope walk into a bar..."?

Yes it's a little weird, but really, it's Halloween.

The point is just let kids say "Trick-or-Treat". Why waste everyones time with a joke no one finds funny.

rudiskilz

Apr 28, 2010
West Des Moines
you guys all sound old.... i hate beggers night... i hate telling jokes. as a kid growing up in DSM it was fun to have another night not Halloween to dress up and get candy. then you would usually have some time of Halloween party on the weekend as well.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Don't be the house that gives crappy candy. If you're giving out those ******* flavored Tootsie Rolls you might as well shove them up your ***, nobody likes those things.

The flavored Tootsie Rolls are literally the only thing I steal from my daughter's Halloween candy.

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
I never went tricker treating as a kid. Bear in mind it took 20 minutes to get to "town".

When my wife and I moved into town she was going to get candy for the tricker treaters. I asked why? How did Halloween and candy get combined?

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Give away awesome candy to everyone in costumes and make a child happy, unless its a hawkeye football player costume, then you tell them you're all out, but don't apologize. Pretty sure that's how beggars night works.

Or, if they are dressed like a Hawkeye, you can give them the flavored tootsie rolls that 3TrueFan has put in his secret storage hole.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
If it is a nice night out, i like to sit on the porch and hand out candy to the kids and beer to the dads. That is the polite thing to do.

CUIClone

Nov 11, 2009
I find it funny that people are hating the joke part...

As a kid growing up in DM it always made it more fun trying to find your joke for that year.

As an adult passing out the candy now, it makes it more entertaining as well. Sure, most are dumb jokes you have heard before, but there are always a few that surprise you and and are kinda funny.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
?!?! those ones, especially vanilla, are AWESOME!

I think he is referring to the knock off brand tootsie, you see them at the front of stores like Hy-Vee for DIRT CHEAP.

The actual Tootsie Roll Mini Vanilla are ******* amazing!

*edit, i now see they are both made by tootsie, but my point stands.

THIS = AWESOME

Flavored-Tootsie-Rolls.jpg

THIS = GOD AWFUL!

Watermelon-Frooties-12.jpg

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
I find it funny that people are hating the joke part...

As a kid growing up in DM it always made it more fun trying to find your joke for that year.

As an adult passing out the candy now, it makes it more entertaining as well. Sure, most are dumb jokes you have heard before, but there are always a few that surprise you and and are kinda funny.

Agree. I'm originally from SW Iowa so the whole beggars night & jokes were new when I moved here, but I don't get the hate. If you don't think any are funny, maybe you should drink more.

Think my favorite from last year was when a little ~6 year old girl asked me what's black, white, & red all over. I did NOT expect the answer to be a dead cow, but that one definitely made me laugh.

norsemen

Apr 13, 2006
I was told growing up that the joke was the "trick" part of "trick or treat" and that you had to do something to earn your candy. I enjoying hearing what the kids come up with as humor.

I'm surprised someone hasn't started a campaign to ban the term "Beggar's Night" lest we offend some of the unfortunate among us.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
It's different in different towns. Even in different neighborhoods. You need to talk to your neighbors to find out how it works in your neighborhood. Not unique to Iowa, same everywhere.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The joke thing seems to be Des Moines. But last year at our house, only about 40% of kids had a joke. And that was fine with me. WTF is that all about?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron