How Many Big 12 Teams Make The Dance?

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
The Big 12 looks very legit this year. How many teams does everyone think make it? ISU, OSU, Kansas, and Baylor are pretty much locks, but K-State, Oklahoma, and possibly Texas look like tournament teams. It's looking like a wonderful year for the Big 12. I'm going to say ISU, OSU, Kansas, Baylor, K-State, and Oklahoma make it and Texas just gets left off the bubble. Six tourney teams would be a fantastic way to represent our league.

Locks are Kansas, OSU, Iowa State, and Baylor. Oklahoma is probably in as well for 5. Kansas State and Texas are bubble teams right now. I'd say 5 right now.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Last night on ESPN after the game they were showing 7. That is strong and would take some things working out just right, but it is possible. I feel a bit sorry for TCU and TT because they aren't terrible, but are going to be the whipping boys this year, and WV might be better than their final record would indicate.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
At the season start, it was four. Then the nonconference went off so well, I will now say seven. Starting to believe thgat OU, KU, OSU will lose some road games to the lesser conference teams. The conference tournament will be tremendous as three or four teams will need additional wins.

Cincyclone

Feb 5, 2012
Somewhere from 5-7 I'd say. Iowa State, Baylor, Kansas, and Okie State are locks. Oklahoma and Kansas State are probably in. Texas is a bubble team and West Virginia is an NIT team.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Last night on ESPN after the game they were showing 7. That is strong and would take some things working out just right, but it is possible. I feel a bit sorry for TCU and TT because they aren't terrible, but are going to be the whipping boys this year, and WV might be better than their final record would indicate.

I renember being the whipping bag of the conference for awhile and it sucked, however I don't feel bad for them

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
I renember being the whipping bag of the conference for awhile and it sucked, however I don't feel bad for them

ISU fans really shouldn't feel sorry for anyone. We've endured so much BS over the years that I think we're entitled to take satisfaction in the misery of others for a change (because God only knows how long this ride will last).

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
West Virginia is an interesting team, and a lot better than their 10-5 record indicates. They've been "in" every single game they've played, and none of the losses have been blowouts. They can score the ball well, and four guys are averaging in double figure scoring. The scary part is that they're young, which means they've got room for improvement (but could also play very inconsistently). They're just the type of team that could be up and down all year, but plunk off just enough good teams to weasel their way into the tournament.

It was only a matter of a few years, 3 max, before Huggins gets it rolling at Morgantown. He is a proven recruiter and can win games, see past coaching spots at Cincy, and KSU. Not sure of his graduation rates recently, but he can get the 'playas' to play for him. UWV will be a tough out from here on out. Last year being his first year there, was dealing with the 'cupboards bare' effect of coaching changes.

mcdrier

Dec 11, 2013
ISU fans really shouldn't feel sorry for anyone. We've endured so much BS over the years that I think we're entitled to take satisfaction in the misery of others for a change (because God only knows how long this ride will last).

Yes, ISU fans have paid their dues over and over again....Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
7 teams would be unprecedented in recent history. No conference has sent 70% of membership to the ncaa since the rise of the mid majors. Big east sent 11/16 in 2011 or 68% , ACC sent 6/9 or 67% on a few occasions, big 10 has sent 7 of 11 a few times (64%). I recall the old Big 8 sending 6/8 (75%) in the orr years but maybe I am misremembering as I didnt see it anywhere. Most sites list Big east as most ever of any conference (no one seems to list as a %). Either way 70% would be a new high for at least the modern era.

Edit: found it, in 1992 Big 8 sent a record 6/8 or 75% to tourney. So 7/10 would be second best of any conference ever (a record the Big 8/12 holds)

Last edited:

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
5 minimum

This is where I'm at right now, too. I think Oklahoma is the 5th right now, BPI of 32, solid wins, only weird loss to La Tech. KSU, TX and KSU are all question marks for me.

K State has the obvious nice win against Okie lite and solid wins vs Gonzaga and Ole Miss, but have some strange early losses to the likes of North Colorado and Charlotte. BPI 54.

Texas has the big UNC win on the road and a solid schedule with no bad losses. BPI 53

WVU BPI is at 38 but they may have to knock a few big names off in conference play.

All those teams have legit chance to steal a couple w's for the resume and get into the dance. ESPN has Oklahoma and WVU in based on BPI but KState and TX out. That gives us 6 in and we all know ESPN is always correct on these things, right guys... guys?

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
IMO conf winner is 13-5 and 2-3 teams share the crown. I honestly think 6 teams make it, that osu win by ksu is going to carry a lot of water.

Okie State took a huge hit with Cobbins going down for the season, Kansas has looked terribly inconsistent and their search for a consistent big time scorer continues, but then you look at ISU... a rock solid lineup with above average play coming off of the bench. Boy... It's hard not to look at how things are shaking out and think that ISU is the favorite at this point. ISU could take the Big XII by storm this year and throw out some crazy record like 15-3 or 16-2. It isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
It was only a matter of a few years, 3 max, before Huggins gets it rolling at Morgantown. He is a proven recruiter and can win games, see past coaching spots at Cincy, and KSU. Not sure of his graduation rates recently, but he can get the 'playas' to play for him. UWV will be a tough out from here on out. Last year being his first year there, was dealing with the 'cupboards bare' effect of coaching changes.

So how long until he runs them into the ground just like he did in Cincy? K-State would've been run into the ground had he stayed long enough there. While he's making WVU good again, he's eventually going to drive them into the ground.

Help Support Us

Become a patron