How fast do you drive on the Interstate?

How fast do you drive on the Interstate?

• Speed limit or under

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 1-5 MPH Over

Votes: 110 33.1%
  • 6-10 MPH Over

Votes: 191 57.5%
  • 10+ MPH Over

Votes: 21 6.3%

• Total voters

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
And I apologize for going a little off topic, but it drives me nuts on I-235 between 42nd and 63rd when everyone realizes that there are speed cameras set up so instead of dropping to the speed limit or just a little over everyone drops below the speed limit.

Totally agree. By now, everyone should realize that you're totally safe from being ticketed even if you're going up to 10mph over the speed limit through those cameras. That area gets jammed up bad enough, people slowing down for the cameras definitely doesn't help.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Most highways I'm 5-7 over. In the 70 mph zones, 74. Not really comfortable going faster than that.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Totally agree. By now, everyone should realize that you're totally safe from being ticketed even if you're going up to 10mph over the speed limit through those cameras. That area gets jammed up bad enough, people slowing down for the cameras definitely doesn't help.

But they're for safety.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
Most highways I'm 5-7 over. In the 70 mph zones, 74. Not really comfortable going faster than that.

Same here. Back when the speed limit on the interstate was 55, I would set the cruise at about 63-64 to avoid tickets.

When they bumped it to 65, I set the cruise around 73 for the same reason.

Now that it is 70 and above in some states, I still set it at 73. Faster feels unsafe to me.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Depends on traffic. I usually just try to keep with the pack for the most part. Granted though, living around Chicago, that could be anywhere from 25 - 80 in 55 zones. If I'm on my own, I usually try to stick to about 5 over. On the interestates that are 70, I usually just try to stick to about 73, although that depends a lot on traffic conditions and other drivers. If everyone else is going around 70, I'll bump it up a bit, closer to 75 - 80, but all too often there are too many people still going 60, I don't like to have to be weaving in and out all the time, so I usually just stick to the faster pack.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I normally do 9-15 over. I generally cruise at 80mph, so depends on the limit of the interstate.

After I get a ticket, I drop down to straight nine over until the ticket fades from my memory (Damn you Wichita Kansas cop).

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This thread was kind of surprising, I thought we'd see more speeders. Also weirded out that so many people don't feel safe going 75+, I guess with kids maybe. I'd cruise at 90 if I could.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Arrrgh! I hate this. If I pass you, I'm not giving you a signal to speed up and hang on my *** like a dingleberry. It drives me nuts when I pass a couple people and they immediately see it as time to start a convoy. Not only does it stick out like sore thumb to cops, I'm not getting paid to be your tour guide of the highway.

This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you want more cars going your speed to lessen the odds that the cop picks you out to pull over? I love it when you can get a big pack together and put the hammer down.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
This thread was kind of surprising, I thought we'd see more speeders. Also weirded out that so many people don't feel safe going 75+, I guess with kids maybe. I'd cruise at 90 if I could.

Agreed, I don't know if I have ever "not felt safe" in good conditions until I hit maybe 95.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I love when people drive 80+ mph in the left lane and never move over. They provide great cover.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't you want more cars going your speed to lessen the odds that the cop picks you out to pull over? I love it when you can get a big pack together and put the hammer down.
Really ? I hate driving in a pack on the interstate.

buchacho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Now seems like a good time to tell slow drivers to get the **** out of the left lane

This. Omaha/Nebraska drivers are the worst when it comes driving slow in the left lane. It annoys me to no end when I am driving to work in the morning down 75 and there are people that feel the need to pass in the left lane while still driving at a speed less than the posted speed limit. bah, seriously the worst.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Until your pack comes over the top fo hill heading down to the football game and there is a patrolman standing on the shoulder motioning you ALL over to side. Got nailed like that by their airplane spotter. It was quite the production line; "Can I see your license, thank you, we clocked you going 85 mph, here's your ticket, drive carefully" and than on to the next car.
:smile:

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Agreed, I don't know if I have ever "not felt safe" in good conditions until I hit maybe 95.

For me, I don't know that it's so much "feeling safe" as feeling relaxed. I'm completely confident in MY OWN abilities to safely drive my car at 90+ mph. But to do so safely requires a lot more concentration, longer following distances, more attention further up the road, etc. And that's not low-stress driving. I'd rather have a much more relaxing trip driving 72mph than be white-knuckled on the wheel and swearing at every other car the entire way.

At 75mph, it takes 20 minutes to get from the 35/30 exchange to the 14th Street exit in Des Moines. At 90mph, it still takes you 17 minutes. That's a lot of extra stress on your body, wear-and-tear on your car, and fuel to save 3 minutes.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Question for all of your 10 mph and over guys and gals: how do you keep from getting tickets? My radar detector got stolen years ago and I never replaced it and have pretty much mostly kept it under 80 since than but I would like to drive faster on the interstate when traffic and weather make it acceptable (from my own drivers perspective).