How do you react?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
With so many people saying "You're 18, you don't know what you want.." and what not, and I thought I would chime in. I met my wife in high school when I was 17, and we dated 5 years and have been married just under a year. It's easy to write off a teenage relationship, but if you really have chemistry with this person don't sell yourself short simply because the both of you are young.

How old are you though? I agree with part of what you're saying, because some people are mature or smart enough to see these signs, while some aren't. There are generational differences though. The hardest thing I ever did was move on from someone i thought was "the one"...but I am very glad I did. It's true though I think for the current generation, a lot (not all) don't really know what they want. People seem to be just a little more "disconnected" from one another, or that's my perception.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
On the positive side, she told you about it. On the negative side, that dude is going to be around still. As others have said, just don't stay with her because you're afraid the next one won't come along. She will. Decide if this girl is really worth the effort, and if she is, make a go of it. If she's not, move on immediately.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
With so many people saying "You're 18, you don't know what you want.." and what not, and I thought I would chime in. I met my wife in high school when I was 17, and we dated 5 years and have been married just under a year. It's easy to write off a teenage relationship, but if you really have chemistry with this person don't sell yourself short simply because the both of you are young.

I was thinking the same thing - it's overly simplistic to say "you have only been together six months" from the outside, when you have no idea what the quality of those six months has been. Yes, she kissed someone else, and that's serious - but nobody except her and the dude even know the circumstances.

My personal opinion? Keep talking to her and see how sorry she really is, and what the circumstances were. She may just be sorry now because she was caught, or she may be truly and deeply apologetic. Only time and introspection on her part will tell you the answer to that.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I was thinking the same thing - it's overly simplistic to say "you have only been together six months" from the outside, when you have no idea what the quality of those six months has been. Yes, she kissed someone else, and that's serious - but nobody except her and the dude even know the circumstances.

My personal opinion? Keep talking to her and see how sorry she really is, and what the circumstances were. She may just be sorry now because she was caught, or she may be truly and deeply apologetic. Only time and introspection on her part will tell you the answer to that.

Yeah, this is true. Not to play the young card again, but maybe it's the first time she's done this and now she might see how much it can hurt other people and make her not want to do it again (who knows).

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
On the positive side, she told you about it. On the negative side, that dude is going to be around still. As others have said, just don't stay with her because you're afraid the next one won't come along. She will. Decide if this girl is really worth the effort, and if she is, make a go of it. If she's not, move on immediately.

Quoted for truth. Best advice of the thread.

Make your decision based on how you truly feel about her, not about fear of being alone.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
How old are you though? I agree with part of what you're saying, because some people are mature or smart enough to see these signs, while some aren't. There are generational differences though. The hardest thing I ever did was move on from someone i thought was "the one"...but I am very glad I did. It's true though I think for the current generation, a lot (not all) don't really know what they want. People seem to be just a little more "disconnected" from one another, or that's my perception.

I'm 22, dated my wife at the end of high school, all through college, and got married after I graduated. I agree that we are kind of the exception to the rule in situations like this, but I also think that he shouldn't give up if he thinks something is there.

Last edited:

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
My opinion? Let her feel bad about it for a few weeks, get all the sympathy play you can, then make your decisoin. :yes:

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I think it would be ok to procede in the relationship with caution however.

I dated a girl when I was the ripe age of 18. We're both 31 now and expecting our first in August. Sometimes you happen to find the one early one, sometimes not. Be patient and time will tell.

cybookie4

Mar 2, 2010
dude your 18, and your already living together, no offense but thats the first mistake...ive been with the same girl for 2 years now and we havnt even thought about moving in together...if she really loves you after 6 months, but "cheated on you" then trust me dont waste your time, from my experience, thats just telling you what you want to hear..im sure you have strong feelings towards her and thats normal, but your still young, live it up if its meant to be itll work out

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Your girlfriend told you for a reason - she wants out. Otherwise she never would have risked the relationship by telling you. Now you have doubts, cautions, and maybe a little anger about the future.
This "honesty" has a motive...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Your girlfriend told you for a reason - she wants out. Otherwise she never would have risked the relationship by telling you. Now you have doubts, cautions, and maybe a little anger about the future.
This "honesty" has a motive...

...Or else she's deeply and truly sorry, and wants to make it up to him, starting with being honest. Again, awfully hard to know at all what's going on without knowing her and the situation. Either answer is very possible.

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
I very much think she is very truely sorry for what happen. I also think she is something special to me. We are going to try to work it out.

cmhawks99

Nov 15, 2008
Bourbonnais, Il
Not the best way, for you. There needs to be a qualifier there, because a blanket statement saying that living together prior to marriage is always the wrong move is naive and ignorant. I know of many, many happy marriages where the couple lived together prior to being married, including my own. And I know of just as many marriages where the couple didn't live together prior to their wedding that have ended in divorce. It's an individual decision that every couple has to make on their own. For me, it was a logical choice. I was committed to my then girlfriend. I knew that marriage was a definite possibility in our relationship. So did she. We spent all of our time together anyway. It allowed us to save a ton of money which we were then able to use for our wedding and started us toward a down payment on a house. Living together was the best choice we could have made.

Well good sir, I’m certainly not trying to offend you nor anyone. I’m going off scripture pure and simple and it doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for debate. I too lived with my wife for 5 years prior to marriage and yes it “worked” but just because it worked doesn’t in any way shape or form mean it is fine.

In fact I’d bet you could find countless married Christian couples that would tell a story similar to mine. Yes they did it, but in hindsight they brought a lot of baggage into their marriage. It’s honestly not very debatable if you look at it open-mindedly. Things work all the time even if it wasn’t the best design.

It worked and quite frankly it worked because God made it so. That doesn’t mean that’s what he wants for us.

Chad

Last edited:

Clones21

Jan 20, 2008
Des Moines
Well good sir, I’m certainly not trying to offend you nor anyone. I’m going off scripture pure and simple and it doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for debate. I too lived with my wife for 5 years prior to marriage and yes it “worked†but just because it worked doesn’t in any way shape or form mean it is fine.

In fact I’d bet you could find countless married Christians couples that would tell a story similar to mine. Yes they did it, but in hindsight they brought a lot of baggage into their marriage. It’s honestly not very debatable if you look at it open-mindedly. Things work all the time even if it wasn’t the best design.

It worked and quite frankly it worked because God made it so. That doesn’t mean that’s what he wants for us.

Chad
+100

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
Well good sir, I’m certainly not trying to offend you nor anyone. I’m going off scripture pure and simple and it doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for debate. I too lived with my wife for 5 years prior to marriage and yes it “worked†but just because it worked doesn’t in any way shape or form mean it is fine.

In fact I’d bet you could find countless married Christians couples that would tell a story similar to mine. Yes they did it, but in hindsight they brought a lot of baggage into their marriage. It’s honestly not very debatable if you look at it open-mindedly. Things work all the time even if it wasn’t the best design.

Chad
Of course you can find married couples who agree with you. For some couples, living together isn't the right move. For some it is. You can't make a blanket statement that it is always the wrong choice, because human beings are individuals with different values, wants, and needs.

If you look at it with a truly open mind, free from outdated dogma, it's hard to debate that living together prior to marriage is absolutely the best design and right choice in certain circumstances.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

In fact I’d bet you could find countless married Christian couples that would tell a story similar to mine. Yes they did it, but in hindsight they brought a lot of baggage into their marriage. It’s honestly not very debatable if you look at it open-mindedly. Things work all the time even if it wasn’t the best design.

Chad

How do you know what his relationship with his then-girlfriend was? Living together doesn't necessarily imply sex. I'm just always amazed at how much people read into situations.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Hey, at least she told you and she talked about it. She didn't clean out your bank account.

Bubbahotep

Jul 23, 2008
Des Moines
How do you know what his relationship with his then-girlfriend was? Living together doesn't necessarily imply sex. I'm just always amazed at how much people read into situations.
If you are living together and not having sex, you are doing something seriously wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.