Hot Ones: Conan O'Brien

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
Dousing his hand with 2.9M Scoville unit nuclear meltdown and licking it off is both hilarious and,.....OMG,.....don't kill yourself Conan.

Reactions: Letterkenny

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I truly think Conan was the most comedically talented late night host. One of the quickest on his feet with improv.
He was the best at making the guest entertaining. If they weren’t the most outgoing or engaging guest he’d do his goofy shtick to make it entertaining. If the guest was naturally charismatic he would stay out of the way and play the straight man. Most of the other talk show hosts are too egotistical or in the case of Fallon never shut the **** up to make this happen.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Conan is by far my favorite talk show host of all time. I still go back and watch some of his remotes every now and then. He rarely misses. For what ever reason once every couple months I watch this one in particular. Makes me laugh every time

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've watched many episodes of this show and that's probably the best. From the putting in pockets to literally drinking the sauces out of the bottle was wild.

And while he showed it at the end of being in pain I didn't see a struggle in his face throughout most of it.

And many I've watched do this struggle to focus / answer the question midway through he was giving insightful answers without any struggle.

After the Da Bomb one where he finally says something like finally feeling something had me laughing. If I did these I'd probably be one of the few that doesn't finish all the wings. I have no spicy palate whatsoever.

Conan makes fun of his pasty white-ness better than anybody and spicy food is a great angle for it.

He went to this Korean spa in KTown LA and basically got tortured via how fair his skin is:

• Haha
Reactions: GBlade and burn587

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Watching old clips of Letterman, Carson, ect....you could see that they went for funny not just saying what their producers and audience wanted to hear. Neither side of the political aisle were safe. No athletes/celebrities were safe. If it was funny it was funny. Now I feel like it's always low hanging fruit which is why I don't watch anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: ca4cy

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I am not sure I have ever read any negative stories about Conan! Maybe I just missed them over the years...but I don't recall any scandals or "behind the scenes" stuff that would make me not want to like Conan. He seems genuinely down to Earth and just a pretty good person overall. I LOVE Letterman...but he might be a tough guy to live next door to and he seems like he enjoys being as private as Letterman can be...Conan seems to embrace life to its fullest but in fun ways.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
**** Jay Leno.

And Late Night with Conan will forever be the goat

Agree with the **** Jay. He had a couple of decent bits, but he was a shell of himself vs his days as a guest on Letterman.

Dave is the GOAT of Late Night. His version of that show was beyond amazing for its time, but Conan was a more than worthy heir and he's still pulling laughs to this day.

That said....his Hot Ones was disturbing. I have a thing about messy eating. So it was a painful watch for me. Over the top for no reason

Reactions: cyfanatic

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Agree with the **** Jay. He had a couple of decent bits, but he was a shell of himself vs his days as a guest on Letterman.

Dave is the GOAT of Late Night. His version of that show was beyond amazing for its time, but Conan was a more than worthy heir and he's still pulling laughs to this day.

That said....his Hot Ones was disturbing. I have a thing about messy eating. So it was a painful watch for me. Over the top for no reason
I also do not like messy eating and have food-related pet peeves. But Conan has made a living by being over the top for no reason.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Watching old clips of Letterman, Carson, ect....you could see that they went for funny not just saying what their producers and audience wanted to hear. Neither side of the political aisle were safe. No athletes/celebrities were safe. If it was funny it was funny. Now I feel like it's always low hanging fruit which is why I don't watch anymore.
To be fair, there's a lot of 'low hanging fruit' these days.

• Haha
Reactions: cyfanatic

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

Yeah that end part he's shouting and spitting stuff out was very uncomfortable.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Conan is the funniest person alive and it's not close. The absolute stuffiness of the guys that did late night before and after him only highlights how great he was.

His podcast shows him in his best form. He wasn't meant to do 3 minute interviews, although some of them are classics. I also love that he can be just as funny with Matt and Sona as he is with his guests.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Conan is the funniest person alive and it's not close. The absolute stuffiness of the guys that did late night before and after him only highlights how great he was.

His podcast shows him in his best form. He wasn't meant to do 3 minute interviews, although some of them are classics. I also love that he can be just as funny with Matt and Sona as he is with his guests.
The 20 minute interviews with rando's around the world are almost more entertaining to me than some of the celebs he has on.

• Agree
Reactions: ironsam

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
"Where did you go to medical school?"
"1998"

Conan is the one who had Norm Macdonald as the filler guest when he needed someone. The man knows comedy.
For my money that pairing produced the best late night segment of all time. I will never not laugh out loud at Norm's one liners and Conan's reactions.

Last edited:

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Conan was the best overall late night host because he was great at having funny bits, good standup and was great at interviews. It helps that Conan was also a successful comedy writer as well. Craig Ferguson was very under-rated as a late night host in my opinion.

Leno is actually really good from a standup comedy standpoint. He is known for going to open-mic nights at comedy clubs and killing it. He also was able to write his own jokes during the writers strike. Even with the great standup, Jay was a very meh late night host though.

Letterman was pretty good, but he came across as a bit of an a-hole at times. I don't know if he actually was, but it came across that way at times.

Like @mj4cy said, the current hosts only go for the low-hanging fruit and it just isn't as funny. Some of the opening monologue jokes are just cringeworthy at times. I think part of it is that the political jokes don't seem very funny in the current climate we are in.

Reactions: Letterkenny