Hoiberg at the top of Golden State's coaching wish list

AlanStanwyk

Mar 14, 2012
Golden State's ownership/management is a mess. 1 reason - Owner's son is assistant GM. Fred won't leave Central Iowa for that drama.

Except with the new stadium in San Fran it will be a hot commodity. They will sell out so darn often. The owners are smart to move them out of Oakland.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I do because any NBA jobs they take are just fewer jobs that CF has to wring hands over Fred taking.:spinny:

I'm not worried about Fred leaving now so I'm not worried about the Stan and Jeff show.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
IMHO I think the reason Fred's name comes up so much is that he hasn't been overly demonstrative about wanting to stay at ISU. I think he likes his name being thrown around cause it probably helps on the recruiting trail.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
IMHO I think the reason Fred's name comes up so much is that he hasn't been overly demonstrative about wanting to stay at ISU. I think he likes his name being thrown around cause it probably helps on the recruiting trail.

Seriously, what is Fred supposed to do? No matter what he says the questions will keep coming.

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If Steve Kerr gets hired by the Warriors, I think Mark Jackson gets hired by the Knicks.

I still can't believe Jackson got the boot. Yes I realize that probably most of it is because of him not really seeing eye to eye with the higher ups, but they went to the playoffs back to back years. How many times have the Warriors done that in recent years?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the GM at Golden State is Fred's old agent.

But California isn't near the lake house. So we can hold on to that.

Last edited:

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Well as Burgess Meredith said in Grumpy(er? ) Old Men. " they can wish in one hand and take a crap in the other "

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
How about, "I am going to be the coach at Iowa State next year, and as many years as they will have me. I guarantee it."

Fred isn't a BS'er, and if he made that statement it would be complete BS. Would you say that to your employer? And even if he said it, it wouldn't change anything for those of us that live in reality.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, more coaches should employ Hoiberg's PR mechanics. Maybe he would consider it at some point, maybe he won't but its not worth burning bridges with a fan base that adores you over a few false promises if the opportunity arose. I don't think many will have bitter feelings if he leaves for the NBA in the future. However, if he promises to stay and then leaves?

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Fred is a genius. He said just enough to keep ISU fans from wondering (most I guess) and not enough to keep his name from being brought up.

BallSoHard4Cy

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Honestly, more coaches should employ Hoiberg's PR mechanics. Maybe he would consider it at some point, maybe he won't but its not worth burning bridges with a fan base that adores you over a few false promises if the opportunity arose. I don't think many will have bitter feelings if he leaves for the NBA in the future. However, if he promises to stay and then leaves?

Agree. I don't think he would burn a fan base after 20+ years of support to go to a place where some/most might not even know his name.

Edit: if he's leaving ISU in 10 years, IMO it would be because he's accomplished a lot at ISU and he's leaving them in a good spot.

Last edited:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Honestly, is there a team in the NBA that does not have CFH on his wish list? Maybe someone should just list the NBA teams that don't what Fred.