Hoiberg at the top of Golden State's coaching wish list

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
That is a big reason why Fred doesn't try to stop all of the name dropping. The more that his name is mentioned with NBA jobs, the better perception he has as a coach.

Yeah, but what about recruits? You can't convince me that there aren't 'some' recruits who during their early stages of recruiting, might just move on to others because they may think ...well he may not be there my four years. Obviously, that could be said in reference to alot of other coaches, too. But still would guess it happens. Not much can be done about it, tho.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
Yeah, but what about recruits? You can't convince me that there aren't 'some' recruits who during their early stages of recruiting, might just move on to others because they may think ...well he may not be there my four years. Obviously, that could be said in reference to alot of other coaches, too. But still would guess it happens. Not much can be done about it, tho.
You just fogged over my cyclones goggles. Good thought though. Never looked at it that way

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
$25 mil is insane for someone who has never been a coach. Props to his agent for leveraging the Knicks and getting more $$$ for Kerr.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Surprised Kerr said no to Phil, but this seems like a good move for him. Golden St has more talent and he's closer to his family as well.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Not a lot, all.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
$25 mil is insane for someone who has never been a coach. Props to his agent for leveraging the Knicks and getting more $$$ for Kerr.

Yeah things worked out beautifully for Kerr. Gets to stay close to home, coach a better team than the Knicks and Phil isn't there breathing down his neck about coaching stuff.

The Warriors are taking a risk with a guy who's never coached before. They are young and I think only a year or two off from being a championship contender. If Kerr flops, that whole timeline gets blown up

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Although Steve Kerr's kids all live in California and he's a West coast guy, we all know why Steve decided he didn't want to take the Knicks job.

Steve and Phil.jpg

walt

Mar 19, 2014
Not buying it either, but...

From ESPN.com:

Iowa State coach and former NBA shooting guard Fred Hoiberg has had Minnesota and Golden State show interest in him in recent weeks, and now that Steve Kerr chose the Bay Area over New York the Knicks are reportedly considering Hoiberg as well.

ESPN's Chris Broussard reports that Hoiberg is a name now on the "Knicks' coaching radar," joining a group that could also include ex-Warriors coach Mark Jackson.

Thus far, Hoiberg has done his part to quiet the NBA chatter, stating how much he enjoys coaching in his hometown of Ames, Iowa, but if the Knicks make him their main target it's one of those jobs that could be too enticing to pass up.

Iowa State gave Hoiberg a 10-year, $20 million contract in March 2013 then upped his annual salary from $2 million to $2.6 million following this past season, his fourth with the Cyclones. If he does leave for the Knicks or any other NBA job, the 41-year-old coach will be on the hook to pay the school $500,000.

We'll keep you posted if we hear more regarding the Knicks and Hoiberg.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Not buying it either, but...

From ESPN.com:

Iowa State coach and former NBA shooting guard Fred Hoiberg has had Minnesota and Golden State show interest in him in recent weeks, and now that Steve Kerr chose the Bay Area over New York the Knicks are reportedly considering Hoiberg as well.

ESPN's Chris Broussard reports that Hoiberg is a name now on the "Knicks' coaching radar," joining a group that could also include ex-Warriors coach Mark Jackson.

Thus far, Hoiberg has done his part to quiet the NBA chatter, stating how much he enjoys coaching in his hometown of Ames, Iowa, but if the Knicks make him their main target it's one of those jobs that could be too enticing to pass up.

Iowa State gave Hoiberg a 10-year, $20 million contract in March 2013 then upped his annual salary from $2 million to $2.6 million following this past season, his fourth with the Cyclones. If he does leave for the Knicks or any other NBA job, the 41-year-old coach will be on the hook to pay the school $500,000.

We'll keep you posted if we hear more regarding the Knicks and Hoiberg.

Why? This drives me crazy with NBA writers, they need to stop acting like NYC and Madison Square Garden have some magical powers. When LeBron was a free agent the Knicks were convinced he was going to come there because it was the basketball mecca. Didn't happen and they settled for a consolation prize with uninsured knees. The Knicks haven't won a title in 40 years, they haven't even been to the conference finals for over a decade now. It's not a destination job just because it's in New York. Players have shown over and over again that New York does not have the free agent drawing power that of LA or Miami. It's a vastly overrated job opening.

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
Kerr also is close with Rick Welts, president and chief of operations for the Warriors, and that made the Golden State job especially appealing to him. Welts is a longtime N.B.A. executive who worked in the Suns’ front office when Kerr was there. Phil thought Steve was coming to NY and didn't' really have a solid plan B lined up. Phil wants to emulate the same management style that Pat Riley has in Miami who orchestrates his coaching style through the coach.
- As far as Hoiberg, he is finally at a point in his life where he has his family all together, stability, and a great job. Fred if anyone knows the instability that exists as an NBA coach and even if you win you can get fired. (Jackson, Karl) The travel is insane and I'm sure Fred got sick of hotels and eating out for months and years at a time. These bogus reports of Fred being a candidate for the NY Knicks are all blown up by these beat writers for papers and blogs. Phil Jackson needs to realize his best hire to coach the Knicks is himself.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Kerr also is close with Rick Welts, president and chief of operations for the Warriors, and that made the Golden State job especially appealing to him. Welts is a longtime N.B.A. executive who worked in the Suns’ front office when Kerr was there. Phil thought Steve was coming to NY and didn't' really have a solid plan B lined up. Phil wants to emulate the same management style that Pat Riley has in Miami who orchestrates his coaching style through the coach.
- As far as Hoiberg, he is finally at a point in his life where he has his family all together, stability, and a great job. Fred if anyone knows the instability that exists as an NBA coach and even if you win you can get fired. (Jackson, Karl) The travel is insane and I'm sure Fred got sick of hotels and eating out for months and years at a time. These bogus reports of Fred being a candidate for the NY Knicks are all blown up by these beat writers for papers and blogs. Phil Jackson needs to realize his best hire to coach the Knicks is himself.

I can't see Phil coming back to coach this team. One of the stipulations of his contract with the Knicks is that he gets to spend half the time in LA. Like you said, NBA travel is very demanding, especially for someone with back problems like Phil. I don't even think he really wanted this job, I think he was just using it as leverage to get back on with the Lakers but NY kept agreeing with his demands and eventually he said yes.

Jackson can hope to emulate Riley's set up in Miami, but he's not going to be able to. Spoelstra came up as Miami's video coordinator in the mid 90's, he's spent literally thousands of hours watching film with Riley and learning from him. Just hiring someone who played for you is not the same thing, the closest Phil could probably come is trying to hire Brian Shaw away from Denver. It sounds like he's also going to talk to Derek Fischer after the Thunder's season is over.

F5cy

May 1, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Sure hope for his sake that Kerr is a better coach than he is TV announcer. I didn't care for him when he called our games in Hawaii. (At least I'm pretty sure it was him?)

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
Sure hope for his sake that Kerr is a better coach than he is TV announcer. I didn't care for him when he called our games in Hawaii. (At least I'm pretty sure it was him?)

He called the NCAA Tournament games not the Hawaii games.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron