Hoiberg at the top of Golden State's coaching wish list

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Self's always gunna be second at KU as well, and if he doesn't get a couple more championships, then he may be lower yet.

But yes, I'm with you. If I was in the position of Fred or Self, i'd rather be a legacy in college, then take a chance in a volatile NBA league. But some guys are so competitive, that they want to succeed at the highest level.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
This. If the OKC job were to open up, you gotta believe Self would be a top target, and you know their fans would back Self. No idea if Self would have mutual interest, but with that roster, and his Oklahoma roots, you'd think he'd listen.
Ollie would be the top candidate as Durant is a big fan of Ollie and OKC wants to make sure Durant stays at OKC when his contract ends.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
Why would Hoiberg leave the stability of ISU for the NBA? You people are too nervous.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Boy are you going to be bummed some day.

I will be bummed the day Hoiberg leaves, but every coach will retire or die someday. Or course, he might still be coaching Iowa State the rest of my life.

Side note: Almost every non-ISU fan thinks that Hoiberg is definitely going to leave for the NBA. There is nothing that Hoiberg has done to support that fact. Yes, the media salivates over Hoiberg and NBA potential, but that is not coming from Fred. It is who you choose to believe and I choose to believe the behavior of Hoiberg. Until that behavior changes, I will believe that he will be Iowa State's head coach until he retires.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
Self's always gunna be second at KU as well, and if he doesn't get a couple more championships, then he may be lower yet.

But yes, I'm with you. If I was in the position of Fred or Self, i'd rather be a legacy in college, then take a chance in a volatile NBA league. But some guys are so competitive, that they want to succeed at the highest level.

Succeeding at the highest level doesn't necessarily mean coaching in the NBA. Building a program into a national power is succeeding at a higher level than coaching a lower level NBA team. It NBA franchises don't give you time to build them into a powerhouse.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
In the "gotta have connections in the NBA" mindset, Self is very close friends with RC Buford, the GM in San Antonio and has been talked about as the successor to Popovich if and when he ever quits. Who knows. I am of the mindset of "why be the next ex-coach of some random NBA franchise when you could stay at Kansas and be a legend at one of the most legendary programs in the sport?" Self could never be more than the second best coach in Spurs history. Hang another banner or two in Kansas and they are putting your name on the court in 20 years. If he coaches as long as Coach K he would obliterate the all time wins record in college basketball. That's a legacy he could never dream of achieving if he skipped out to the NBA at this point in his career. It's possible he could leave but MUCH less likley than a guy like Hoiberg who is still so early in his career.

And if Hoiberg skips out to the NBA, he will never be able to break Self's record. Sorry, you only see Fred's coaching situation as an outsider. It is the same way the media sees it. You act like no one would want Iowa State as a destination. Even some of our own fans see it that way and fail to realize that we have that coach. Fred Hoiberg will retire as the coach of Iowa State. He will not leave until that time.

Leidang

Apr 27, 2006
I don't think Fred is going anywhere, I'll bet that Flip Saunders has stated the Fred is not a candidate for the T/Wolves because Fred told him not to bother asking.

My prediction for our next coach... Jack Hoiberg in 2040.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I can 100% guarantee that coaches recruiting against Hoiberg for the same kids are throwing the "he won't be around for 4 years" comments around at every opportunity.

"I can 100% guarantee"....? Why? Because you know this is how Self is recruiting against him?

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
How can fred coach at the lakers when he's coaching at the University of Minnesota, Timberwolves, Golden State and the Pacers?

AttakOfDaClones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I live in the Warriors' back yard and listen to local sports talk radio during the week days. The bottom line at this point is that no credible source has linked Fred to the team. He has been mentioned speculatively by talking heads, but nothing more. I think proven commodities like Stan Van Gundy and Steve Kerr would likely be targets first. The Warriors are built to win now and I think that steers a team toward proven commodities that have won before.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
How can fred coach at the lakers when he's coaching at the University of Minnesota, Timberwolves, Golden State and the Pacers?
Because he's Fred ******* Hoiberg??!? He could coach all the teams if he wanted too. Other people need jobs too though that's the issue.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron