Hoiberg at the top of Golden State's coaching wish list

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Yeaaaaaaaah, not happening. I doubt he has any connection to them at all and they still haven't fired their head coach. I'm more worried about the Pacers than I am Warriors.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If all these teams that are actually playoff teams, with good rosters, are getting rid of their coaches, what does that tell you about the longevity as an NBA head coach? Agree with those on here that have already posted that he has his best, loved, and secure job right here at ISU! Hope he is in no hurry whatsoever to put himself in that arena, for both our sakes.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
I'd be more worried if the Bulls job opened up. Although that would be tough knowing it's the same management that traded the best healthy offensive player, and your best player in that whiney Derrick Rose.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Tim Kawakami is a sports columnist for the San Jose Mercury News. He's not a random blogger. He's on the Warriors beat. "Wish list" is his words. Put it in quotes if you like.

I don't believe Fred is going anywhere nor do I want him to. It's nice to have a coach that's in demand. Also, I'm just sharing info.

Exactly.

I think these reports are a positive for recruiting as Fred is gaining rep rapidly as 'the man' in college coaching.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
It'd suck to lose Hoiberg, but at least in this speculation this is great exposure for Iowa State. I'm sure the majority of NBA fans on the west coast aren't familiar with Iowa State basketball and than they see Iowa State's coach is a candidate for a coaching position with Golden State and they go, "Hmmm wonder why him" and go look up ISU. At least I do that when I follow coaching searches and such.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Flip Saunders said that he wouldn't coach for the Tmberwolves, so I doubt he would go to a place where he has no connections.
Why not? Golden State is a loaded roster. Does it really take knowing someone in the front office to take a job? No, it happens all the time. Hoiberg either thinks the job's worth taking or not. I doubt he would take it but nothing would shock me.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I'd be more worried if the Bulls job opened up. Although that would be tough knowing it's the same management that traded the best healthy offensive player, and your best player in that whiney Derrick Rose.
Golden State is the better roster right now. Rose is damaged goods and won't be the same. Plus, idf they are thinking about firing their coach, who is awesome, after the massive amounts of injuries they have had then their front office is ignorant and you don't want to be their coach. Maybe they should go get a few scorers instead of 15 hustle guys that can't shoot.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Why not? Golden State is a loaded roster. Does it really take knowing someone in the front office to take a job? No, it happens all the time. Hoiberg either thinks the job's worth taking or not. I doubt he would take it but nothing would shock me.
Self is likely interested in that one and OKC.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Self is likely interested in that one and OKC.

This. If the OKC job were to open up, you gotta believe Self would be a top target, and you know their fans would back Self. No idea if Self would have mutual interest, but with that roster, and his Oklahoma roots, you'd think he'd listen.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
This. If the OKC job were to open up, you gotta believe Self would be a top target, and you know their fans would back Self. No idea if Self would have mutual interest, but with that roster, and his Oklahoma roots, you'd think he'd listen.
In the "gotta have connections in the NBA" mindset, Self is very close friends with RC Buford, the GM in San Antonio and has been talked about as the successor to Popovich if and when he ever quits. Who knows. I am of the mindset of "why be the next ex-coach of some random NBA franchise when you could stay at Kansas and be a legend at one of the most legendary programs in the sport?" Self could never be more than the second best coach in Spurs history. Hang another banner or two in Kansas and they are putting your name on the court in 20 years. If he coaches as long as Coach K he would obliterate the all time wins record in college basketball. That's a legacy he could never dream of achieving if he skipped out to the NBA at this point in his career. It's possible he could leave but MUCH less likley than a guy like Hoiberg who is still so early in his career.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014

It wouldn't shock me if self had 20 illegitimate children with hookers. Actually I would be surprised if he doesn't.