Hoiberg and Nebraska Basketball In Trouble

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I’ll be that guy: if Fred and Matt A had stuck around, was there any hazard of this happening to ISU? Possible source of friction with Jamie?

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
If you’re going to get hammered for recruiting violations, shouldn’t you actually get good players? I mean getting in trouble for this while being terrible is just embarrassing.
I mean, he has gotten good players if we’re being honest with ourselves. His last recruiting class was ranked 18th in the country. He’s just done a horrendous job coaching them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
There has been some smoke, but I’m not sure I’m ready to take the word of a podcast host with fewer than 300 Twitter followers.
Another account albeit a Creighton one said similar things. Fact that it’s coming from a Husker fan makes it seem more believable

Selmak The Tok'Ra

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2021
Fred was only great because of Iowa State. He fit ISU like a glove and ISU fit him. He sucked in Chicago and sucks in Lincoln. Dude should have never left Ames. His coaching career is essesntially over.

This is correct. As an aside, none of my siblings really care about sports but one of my brothers is still saltier than I am about Fred leaving and I'm the bigger Iowa State fan haha (I've gotten over it because Otz is the new hOtzness)

Last edited:

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
The thing with Abdelmassih is he was not a great recruiter (in my opinion) even when throwing cash around.

This is probably the only thing that kept Iowa State out of trouble. I'm sure we was dirty here as well, he just struck out on everyone. Hard to commit a recruiting violation when you don't land anyone.

(I don't think Royce and Kane count - that was early in the transfer days and especially with Royce's reputation we didn't have competition we needed to outbid)

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Can he even grow a beard?
13367.png

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I love the Matt A bashing…as if Fred and the rest of the staff didn’t know what was going on.

Two rules as a coach:

1) have a guy do your dirty work
2) never communicate with that guy in writing

I have a friend who is a general counsel for a midsized corporation.

She once described her job to me as --

"Sending emails out to remind people not to put things in email."

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
For the people saying Matt A. can't recruit you have no idea. He brought in damn near all the talent during Fred's years at ISU. Royce, Hogue, Kane, Niang, Naz, etc.

Matt has been around two really bad programs and his loyalty has actually hurt him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron