High profile players skipping bowl games

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
A job a player isn't guaranteed to even have... How often to players get drafted that never play a snap in the NFL?

Hint: A lot. We don't know for sure that either Fournette nor McCaffrey will have any kind of career. We've all seen worse players in college do more, and better players do less.
Whether they have a career in the NFL is irrelevant, it's about the guaranteed money they'll get when they sign their first contract and that number is a lot less if you fall out of the first round in Fournette's case.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
This is all completely true, but it still doesn't change that the player is just leaving the rest of his team (who is still playing in the game) out to dry without him.
Eh, I don't really think so. If it's during the season, sure, but if it's just a bowl I don't think that's hanging them out to dry

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
A job a player isn't guaranteed to even have... How often to players get drafted that never play a snap in the NFL?

Hint: A lot. We don't know for sure that either Fournette nor McCaffrey will have any kind of career. We've all seen worse players in college do more, and better players do less.

That's the point. Fournette and McCaffrey are currently projected as high round picks. A bowl game is not going to change that positively, at all. It can only affect it negatively, if they get hurt for example. But neither one can improve their stock much, because it's already pretty much as high as it can get. You are correct, there are few guarantees in the NFL. But do you know what one of them is? A rookie contract, especially for an early round pick. Fournette is in position to get a fully guaranteed $15-20 million dollar contract if he's drafted in the top 10. That's without ever playing a down in the NFL. Guaranteed. The insurance policy he has won't pay him that much. (See Jaylon Smith) There is literally no career upside for him playing in the bowl game. Only potential downside. He's going into a career where shelf lives are incredibly short, and the margin for error is razor thin. Why in the world would he risk his career over a meaningless game that cannot help him?

• Agree
Reactions: cyhiphopp

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009

Exactly. The shelf life for NFL players is short, especially for RBs. They need to put themselves in the best position possible for their future. Their rookie contract might be the only contract they have so put yourself in position to be the highest draft pick you can. It is called using your brain (while they still have one to use)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This argument starts and ends with Jaylon Smith last year.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/jaylon-smith-christian-mccaffrey-nfl-draft-bowl

He would have been a top 10 pick at least. He could gotten 20 million guaranteed, just for signing his top five pick contract. Instead he's hoping his rehab goes well so he can eventually play again.

Now he says if he had the choice again, he would still play. But you have to respect a players decision to not take that risk.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
That's the point. Fournette and McCaffrey are currently projected as high round picks. A bowl game is not going to change that positively, at all. It can only affect it negatively, if they get hurt for example. But neither one can improve their stock much, because it's already pretty much as high as it can get. You are correct, there are few guarantees in the NFL. But do you know what one of them is? A rookie contract, especially for an early round pick. Fournette is in position to get a fully guaranteed $15-20 million dollar contract if he's drafted in the top 10. That's without ever playing a down in the NFL. Guaranteed. The insurance policy he has won't pay him that much. (See Jaylon Smith) There is literally no career upside for him playing in the bowl game. Only potential downside. He's going into a career where shelf lives are incredibly short, and the margin for error is razor thin. Why in the world would he risk his career over a meaningless game that cannot help him?

Fournette has had injuries all season as well. You can only put so many miles on a RB before the league is done with them.

• Agree
Reactions: rholtgraves

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Whether they have a career in the NFL is irrelevant, it's about the guaranteed money they'll get when they sign their first contract and that number is a lot less if you fall out of the first round in Fournette's case.

Exactly. The shelf life for NFL players is short, especially for RBs. They need to put themselves in the best position possible for their future. Their rookie contract might be the only contract they have so put yourself in position to be the highest draft pick you can. It is called using your brain (while they still have one to use)

This argument starts and ends with Jaylon Smith last year.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/12/jaylon-smith-christian-mccaffrey-nfl-draft-bowl

He would have been a top 10 pick at least. He could gotten 20 million guaranteed, just for signing his top five pick contract. Instead he's hoping his rehab goes well so he can eventually play again.

Now he says if he had the choice again, he would still play. But you have to respect a players decision to not take that risk.

This all makes sense. I focused too much on what's good for the university. The player isn't really responsible for the university when they get to this point in their career (not in their best interests).

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Love that fact that some people think schools and coaches can treat college football like a business but the minute a player does, then it is a bad thing.

• Agree

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Eh, I don't really think so. If it's during the season, sure, but if it's just a bowl I don't think that's hanging them out to dry

Coaches always say the best thing about bowl games is the extra practices and the chance to get young guys more reps.

After the regular season, when there's nothing on the line but pride and a trophy, a lot of teams are looking forward to the future. Their young guys coming off a redshirt and the backup who should be a starter the next season.

LSU is going to have to play without Fournette next year regardless. His backup now gets a chance to shine in a bowl game.

Reactions: WooBadger18

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
This all makes sense. I focused too much on what's good for the university. The player isn't really responsible for the university when they get to this point in their career.

Exactly. And it's not like the University and program are going to take care of the kid if he's hurt and never plays again.

In this era where Athletic Departments are making multiple millions off of amateur student athletes I don't think it's too much to respect the decisions of guys looking out for their future.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This all makes sense. I focused too much on what's good for the university. The player isn't really responsible for the university when they get to this point in their career.

Yeah from the University's standpoint or the bowl standpoint, they want this kids to be there. Especially since they are crappy bowls. They might get a few more people to buy tickets if they can see something special from those two.

I don't think it is going to become a huge problem going forward. I think high round RBs might keep this up, maybe guys that have had some injury concerns during the season etc. But I think a lot of kids just want to play one more time because they love playing college football. I would imagine that it wasn't an easy decision for either player.
i would imagine their backup is pretty happy though!

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Love that fact that some people think schools and coaches can treat college football like a business but the minute a player does, then it is a bad thing.
Pretty much. Trying to pretend the player actually cares about the university/education is a complete farce, it's entirely about the sport opportunity from start to finish. The universities realize the same, too (see: any academic scandal, particularly UNC comes to mind).

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Look at it this way. These guys played all season and busted their butts. Fournette asked to come back into the game with Florida because he wanted to win.

If their teams were in the playoffs, there's a better chance they'd be playing.

Now look at Jedeveon Clowney. He was accused of half ***ing it during his last season at South Carolina, because he was looking ahead to being drafted.

I respect guys who skip an exhibition game a lot more than someone who doesn't give 100% during the regular season.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Yeah, I think if it was a playoff game, you have to play for your team, but bowls are meaningless. I haven't watched one in a couple years, so it's hard to blame a player for sitting one out.

I dunno - could an ISU star - like Lazard - sit out a meaningless mid-season game since we have no play-off ramifications? Could an ISU star - like Warren - opt out of off-season team conditioning? Visits to charitable foundations? Seems like there is a responsibility due the program by the player for taking all the free tuition money, food and lodging money, training facility access...

I get the $$ part - just like to see college student-athletes be college student-athletes until such time as they become professional athletes.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Thank you, I'll use that wording next time my idea disagrees with yours. F*** me for broadening out this argument for an hour to learn more about it.

I don't mind your opinion. I don't agree with it, and I don't think you were taking all factors into account.

And I think you've realized a little of the issue some of have with it.

I personally don't like the idea of players leaving their team early, but I understand why they're doing it.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
I don't mind your opinion. I don't agree with it, and I don't think you were taking all factors into account.

And I think you've realized a little of the issue some of have with it.

I personally don't like the idea of players leaving their team early, but I understand why they're doing it.

I've been here with the players the whole time. The bigger argument others were making was against me separating coaches from players. Which I ultimately still think the coaches are on a different plane than the players, but in the context of leaving schools, it really isn't much different.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I dunno - could an ISU star - like Lazard - sit out a meaningless mid-season game since we have no play-off ramifications? Could an ISU star - like Warren - opt out of off-season team conditioning? Visits to charitable foundations? Seems like there is a responsibility due the program by the player for taking all the free tuition money, food and lodging money, training facility access...

I get the $$ part - just like to see college student-athletes be college student-athletes until such time as they become professional athletes.

If it happened during the regular season, or someone was slacking off, their coaches will take care of that. Guys get suspended for Violating Team Rules all the time.

It would suck if Lazard quit mid season next year to focus on the draft. But since he's not going to be a 1st round pick, I sincerely doubt it happens. He's one of the players who would benefit from playing a full season and lord willing a bowl game.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron