Hickory Park Help/Question for Gameday vs TX

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
I've got a couple buddies that have never been to a game in Ames and I thought I'd take 'em out to Hickory Park before the game on Saturday. With kickoff at 6:30, how early should we figure on getting to HP so we can still make the game on time? I normally do a little tailgating on my own before the game, but I figured I'd give these guys a treat. Any suggestions are welcome, thanks!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
here-we-go-jim-carrey.gif

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I've never been during a gameday. But others on this site have said it is very busy. If you want to be at the game by 6:30, you may want to get there at 4, assume an hour wait, so you sit down at 5. 30-45 minutes to eat and stuff. So you leave by 5:45. Then park and walk to the game.

Reactions: CY22

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
I get that HP can be very polarizing, but it is an experience for someone who's never been there imo. Just trying to be a good host. Hopefully we'll have a few tailgates to stop by to "rehydrate" after eating :)

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've never been during a gameday. But others on this site have said it is very busy. If you want to be at the game by 6:30, you may want to get there at 4, assume an hour wait, so you sit down at 5. 30-45 minutes to eat and stuff. So you leave by 5:45. Then park and walk to the game.

I don't know either, but that sounds tight to me. I feel like that would be pushing it on a normal Saturday night.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
To me it's more important that if your friends have never been to a game in Ames that you give them the full experience of what makes it so special. Go to HP as early as possible so you can get to JTS and get a full day of tailgating in on a beautiful November afternoon!

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I don't know either, but that sounds tight to me. I feel like that would be pushing it on a normal Saturday night.

They are pretty efficient in turning over tables. But after eating, 45 minutes to park and walk may be tight. Depends on where OP parks is.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
Parking that late will put you in Boone

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
If HP is a must do as part of your day, I would do lunch there then head off to tailgate. That way you get to experience both and you don't have to worry about how long it will take at HP.

This is probably the correct answer for the OP. Unless there is something going on before the game that prevents lunch.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'll be doing the same - I haven't been back to campus in a few years and will be bringing a buddy who's never been. I'm thinking my plan will be to tour campus in the morning, and hopefully make it to HP around 11. Then tailgate around 3pm.

Reactions: NWICY and bozclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Do your friends want alcohol to be part of the experience? If they do I wouldn't go to HP because they don't serve it. Although this may have changed since last time I was there. I rarely go, not a big fan

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Thanks for the help everyone. We shifted our plans to get to town earlier. We'll try HP for a late lunch and leave plenty of time to tailgate/wander before the game. Appreciate the help everyone. Can't wait to see you all and a packed stadium Saturday, Go Cyclones!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Do your friends want alcohol to be part of the experience? If they do I wouldn't go to HP because they don't serve it. Although this may have changed since last time I was there. I rarely go, not a big fan
They used to have basic tap beer.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Giving them a treat would be to focus on other things Ames is good at outside HP. If they are coming for a game, give them a real gameday experience. Maybe a little campus tour in the AM, and hit the tailgating.

I don't hate HP like some others, it's not great food, but it's still an experience in Ames, but I wouldn't want that to be what they take home from the visit.

If they really need the Fran Frachilla HP treatment, make it a 2 day event and do HP on Sunday for lunch.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Giving them a treat would be to focus on other things Ames is good at outside HP. If they are coming for a game, give them a real gameday experience. Maybe a little campus tour in the AM, and hit the tailgating.

I don't hate HP like some others, it's not great food, but it's still an experience in Ames, but I wouldn't want that to be what they take home from the visit.

If they really need the Fran Frachilla HP treatment, make it a 2 day event and do HP on Sunday for lunch.

Hickory Park is tied to the "Ames experience" whether we like it or not. I think it's funny some here thinking it wouldn't be completely easy and a fun day to go there early and still have plenty of time for other things (although I'm not sure what besides seeing campus and tailgating would need to be included...).

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron