Hey Deace and Miller.....

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
The immediate supension, pending review is a long standing Athletic Department rule...

Rhoads could have pulled this out of the KF playbook "I'm aware of this alleged incident since (insert date) and consider it to be a serious situation. Based on what I know to this point, I think it's best to let due process run it's course before coming to any judgement"

So because Rhoads didn't say that, and the Athletic Department and "senior-level" ISU officials said it for him makes this different...how?

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
As many as Banks did. As 22 said, the hypocrisy exhibited by some (read:all) on this board when it comes to this came is amazing. Had this happened to an Iowa player (or group of players) the reaction here, not to mention how it would have been covered in the local media, would have been completely different.

THIS board. You talk about hypocrisy and you say that statement?

Kirk has done nothing different in Clayborns situation than the ISU athletic department did in this situation.

And yet Miller, Deace, Miller, Matt go on and on about Banks playing but not about one peep about Clayborn.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
As many as Banks did. As 22 said, the hypocrisy exhibited by some (read:all) on this board when it comes to this came is amazing. Had this happened to an Iowa player (or group of players) the reaction here, ... would have been completely different.

Exactly. And it would not matter if this was offense #1 for Iowa or offense # (what's it up to now?) in their long list of issues.

not to mention how it would have been covered in the local media

I think that would be fair though. I mean, when the history is there you're gonna get more heat for future issues. Especially if, as done here, the player was allowed to miss zero snaps.

And I'm interested in what kind of punishment Bell has been facing for missing class. IMO, missing class is a bit if a smaller issue than what Banks is allegedly facing. Granted, I think we have a handful of players better than Bell, so I don't think seeing the bench is likely the punishment - but would be interesting to compare the two consequences (pending Banks has faced any thus far).

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
ISU could have made this go away, even if they reinstated the players, but just didn't play them against Army.

I don't think a coach should discipline players based on criticism unleashed by editorials and sports radio hosts. You might have given it the same airtime regardless. It's an opportunity to lash out about ISU legal issues instead of Iowa for once.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
As many as Banks did. As 22 said, the hypocrisy exhibited by some (read:all) on this board when it comes to this came is amazing. Had this happened to an Iowa player (or group of players) the reaction here, not to mention how it would have been covered in the local media, would have been completely different.

Kirk has done nothing different in Clayborns situation than the ISU athletic department did in this situation.

That's my point. Why would Jon Miller then want a one game suspension from Banks and not Clayborn?

Would this be as big of an issue if the players were underage and the police found beer cans in their room, but all the guys blew 0.00?

Reactions: Cyrocks

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
thh i think you case might have some merit if ISU had anywhere near the recent legal troubles Iowa has had.

As quoted by CK:
8/4/2008
Certainly we have opened the door for the immense attention that we have received, some fair, some unfair, maybe," Ferentz said. "The bottom line is that we opened the door for it and it comes with the territory. Anytime you do that, you can expect negative reporting because they were reporting on things that were negative. I think that is only fair.

Rivals.com College Football - Can Ferentz right the sinking ship at Iowa?

ISU's pain has not nearly matched Iowa's...hence the absolute silliness of you and others to continue linking this incident(ISU) in any fashion to the means and manner in which your team dealt with challenges.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I would love to know from folks how exactly you would like the coaching staff and AD to handle this? Take out the obsession some have with comparing it to Iowa(just for a breath or two) and tell us how exactly this SHOULD have been handled.

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I also found this quote from Kirk Ferentz I thought might be appropriate for this thread:

"This has hardly been the crime of the century. For that to make front page news in a major publication, it’s a great state we live in.”

swammi

May 10, 2009
Apollo Beach, Florida
I pretty much agree with most of what M&D were saying this morning from 7-7:30 at least.

Do I think that smoking/possessing weed is the worst thing in the world, no. The part that I think was wrong was the way that things were handled.
I don't know all of the legal aspects as far as lawsuits can go if the players were not reinstated and the charges turn out to be false but I agree with the fact that playing Banks on Sat against Army was a horrible call.

ISU needs to be better than this, excusing someones behavior just because its "not like he robbed a bank" is crap. I'm not trying to take shots at Iowa because in all reality we just did the same thing and I think that it is wrong, no matter what team it is.

The opportunity to play football at any college is a privelage. If you put yourself in front of the team by making stupid decisions then you should have to pay some sort of a price both on and off the field. At least a one game suspension would have sent the message that PR will not put up with stupidity and players putting themselves in bad situations. By letting him play PR has set a bad precident.

It is entirely possible that Banks has already tested clean and that all charges will be dropped or he will be found innocent. If that is the case, would you look back from that point and STILL say it was a horrible call to play him vs Army? A man who was guilty of nothing and tested clean?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It is entirely possible that Banks has already tested clean and that all charges will be dropped or he will be found innocent. If that is the case, would you look back from that point and STILL say it was a horrible call to play him vs Army? A man who was guilty of nothing and tested clean?

We don't know the full situation with the other two. It's possible Banks is only guilty of having bad roomates.

ClimbIowa

Aug 14, 2008

I'm a Hawk fan and I don't really care if he played or not. But let's be clear for those that aren't hip to the scene, the kid had a glass nug jar. Those are for pot. Usually good pot. It being empty could very well mean that he doesn't smoke during the season. I don't think he should lose any time, but I'm inclined to believe that the guy with the glass jar in his room has smoked a fair amount of pot while at ISU and depending on the test administered and how long it took between the warrant execution and the test, I don't trust it either. Again, it doesn't bother me a bit that he played, but those posters that think the jar wasn't for storing good pot are kidding themselves.

Sportstalkmatt

May 21, 2009
Des Moines
Hey - Leave me out of this. I said it was a non-story and that it was nothing! I never talked about kicking the kid out of school or off the team...I just thought 1 game was enough to shut everyone up but I had no prob with Banks playing vs. Army

May 28, 2009
Tired of hearing about this story. Can we all just sit back and wait to find out if they will go to court and what happens then.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
So, we're not justifying that "who cares, we win" behavior by following it up with our own? The same behavior we have chastised them for again and again?

I think its just something for people to nag about for right now. Once he is proven innocent or guilty then you will have reason to nag one way or the other. IMO til that happens your just complaining that the sun comes up in the morning.:dull:

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
I said that by not playing him, ISU would have basically caused this entire thing to go away.
ALL IN GOOD FUN NOW JON tell me

Do you think that would have been your choice? (sit him out)
What would you have done Jon? (You can change this answer after more info comes up later)

Lets say KB walks in your office and tells you HYPOTHETICALLY "Coach Miller I owned the jar thats it, I loaned it to him and didnt know what for. Im clean, I dont smoke, I knew nothing about it and I can and will test clean. My team mates must smoke outside (by the dumpster) or something cuz Ive never smelled anything" :wideeyed:

Lets hear it. Im curious how much your gonna be respected by your team.... A coach who doesnt have trust/faith in his players words.:no:

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
The immediate supension, pending review is a long standing Athletic Department rule...

Rhoads could have pulled this out of the KF playbook "I'm aware of this alleged incident since (insert date) and consider it to be a serious situation. Based on what I know to this point, I think it's best to let due process run it's course before coming to any judgement"

+1

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I think it is sad that some of the same people who have criticized KF and the Iowa football program for similar actions are now saying it's not a big deal. I realize that we haven't had the same volume of players getting arrested, but most of the arrests that they had at Iowa (public intox and MIP) wasn't much worse than this. I'm not saying that what Iowa has done is right, I'm saying it's sad that we are now doing the same thing and our fans are accepting it.

I also have to call out Jon Miller on this because Iowa has done the exact same thing in the past and you have defended it. It's a two way street.

I would like to trust Rhoads judgment on this, but I personally think those players should have missed at least one game.