Hey Deace and Miller.....

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
No, I did not. A couple callers said things along those lines, and I corrected them. I never said he possessed dope, not once.

But you did say he shouldnt have played.......innocent until guilty...or guilty until innocent?? He tested clean correct? So what are you tryn to say Jon? I think your just happy its our turn for this stuff and I'll give you that. Lets remember it was 3 seeds NOT a bloody rape matress.

Reactions: Cyclone06

Cymaster

Jun 14, 2006
I thought the American system of justice was as follows.

1. Arrest
2. Trial
3. Determination of guilt or innocence
4. Penalty

Why is it that some people think that for athletes we are supposed to skip steps 2 and 3 and go directly from arrest to punishment. Are they not deserving of due process like everybody else.

All I know is that Banks has been convicted of nothing. Why should he then be punished?

I'm not going to take one side over the other on this issue. But, I will say that a person's rights in the American system of justice are vastly different than their privileges as a college football player.

ISUonthemove

Jan 31, 2007
Altoona
We didn't say he possessed dope, and we didn't say he smoked anything. A caller said he probably smoked it, and I jumped in immediately to say that we do not know that at all.

Our point is that the message it sends to play Banks, when he had admitted to an item containing dope residue to be his, its a tough precedent. It's not a huge deal legally, and I suspect any charges will get dropped. But that's likely due to legal wrangling. ISU could have made this go away, even if they reinstated the players, but just didn't play them against Army.

How many games did Clayborn miss?

CYKID

Oct 18, 2006
Clive
I just don't like Deace alluding that Rhoads should have sat him since it wouldn't have altered the outcome of the game anyway. Kind of a win-win scenario. He either did something punishable or not. It shouldn't matter whether he is a starter or a bench guy. In reality his importance to the team does play a huge role in his punishment but to hear it from Mr Morality seems odd.

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
All will be forgotten if we go to a bowl game.

+10

Everytime I rip on the Hawks (for the trouble they get into) to my buddy his response is always the same....."Ya well we go to bowls baby and thats all that matters. What bowl did you guys go to last year?"
:confused:

Last edited:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
All will be forgotten if we go to a bowl game.

+10

Everytime I rip on the Hawks for the troubles they get into his response is always the same....."Ya well we go to bowls baby and thats all that matters. What bowl did you guys go to last year?"
:confused:

So, we're not justifying that "who cares, we win" behavior by following it up with our own? The same behavior we have chastised them for again and again?

agcy68

Feb 9, 2007
Iowa
Didn't one of the articles in paper about this say that Banks had admitted that the stuff (whatever it was) was his?

He admitted that a "glass jar" (that was later found to have mj residue) was his.

The problem with sitting Banks for a game is, in the future, that it becomes a "fairly" easy tactic to get your opponents best player on the bench when you play them. Drop off a common jar, call the cops, and you have one less player to worry about. Knowing that it was ISU (non-athletic dept.) brass that reinstated him, I suspect that the evidence to support the charges is pretty weak.

My complaint (a minor one at that) is that Jon seems to have no problem with Fort Kinnick releasing no statements regarding players status, but made a pretty big issue of it when PR was mum on it. And no, the standard "we are handling it internally" answer that KF uses time after time after time is not a "statement". (did you notice that the latest uofi OWI punishment was announced DURING the Big Ten media days. Hmmmmmm.)

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
What exactly does this incident have to do with Iowa again. i see a few posters that keep dragging the "iowa issue" into this. It seems so...obsessive.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
But you did say he shouldnt have played.......innocent until guilty...or guilty until innocent?? He tested clean correct? So what are you tryn to say Jon? I think your just happy its our turn for this stuff and I'll give you that. Lets remember it was 3 seeds NOT a bloody rape matress.

I said that by not playing him, ISU would have basically caused this entire thing to go away.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
I said that by not playing him, ISU would have basically caused this entire thing to go away.
Jon that is not honest. You would have a found a way to bring this up. Be honest-please.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
My complaint (a minor one at that) is that Jon seems to have no problem with Fort Kinnick releasing no statements regarding players status, but made a pretty big issue of it when PR was mum on it. And no, the standard "we are handling it internally" answer that KF uses time after time after time is not a "statement". (did you notice that the latest uofi OWI punishment was announced DURING the Big Ten media days. Hmmmmmm.)

First of all, it was Deace that was critical of CPR for that.

Second, Iowa releases statements. Do you have specific incidents where Kirk has chosen the no comment route?

tiberius

Sep 20, 2006
Will we ever be able to see the search warrant and who signed it? In a way I think there has to be more to the story, if they can just come search your place and the only probable cause is some guy saying he saw somebody smoking I am a little concerned.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
First of all, it was Deace that was critical of CPR for that.

Second, Iowa releases statements. Do you have specific incidents where Kirk has chosen the no comment route?

"They're not in good standing."

Granted it was a different deal and they didn't play...but sounds like "no comment" to me.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The problem with sitting Banks for a game is, in the future, that it becomes a "fairly" easy tactic to get your opponents best player on the bench when you play them. Drop off a common jar, call the cops, and you have one less player to worry about. Knowing that it was ISU (non-athletic dept.) brass that reinstated him, I suspect that the evidence to support the charges is pretty weak.

Really? :biglaugh: A bit of a stretch there.

My complaint (a minor one at that) is that our fans seems to have no problem with Coach Rhoads releasing no statements regarding players status, but made a pretty big issue of it when KF was mum on it.

Fixed this for you.

And no, the standard "we are handling it internally" answer that KF uses time after time after time is not a "statement".

What would you call the statement from Rhoads and ISU?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Jon that is not honest. You would have a found a way to bring this up. Be honest-please.

Please don't make the mistake that others do by assuming since its something you dont think you could stay away from, that it applies to everyone else.

I didn't even think about Kennard Banks once until midway through our Monday show. I even asked Steve on the air, 'Did Banks play'? after his name was brought up.

Then this morning, I threw the question out there what if INSERT IOWA PLAYER had the exact set of circumstances as last week's situation, and he played vs PSU? And Steve gave his take on it, and that aligned with mine.

With the Iowa-ISU game in the rear view mirror, I am not looking for iowa-isu items to pit against each other, not in the least bit. There are actual games, strategies, etc to talk about now. I would much rather do that.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
"They're not in good standing."

Granted it was a different deal and they didn't play...but sounds like "no comment" to me.

They're not in good standing, and they never saw the field again. The latter is quite a statement.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
...and by the way, in that Everson and Satterfield ordeal what did you say all show long on the day that the story broke?

"Lets wait to get the facts on this one." Not to mention you probably sat on the story for a fair amount of time before it was out in the open.